Thread: can anyone identify this morph?

MissT

Default can anyone identify this morph?

this is my first post, so please be gentle picked up this little guy today and was wondering if anyone can accurately identify his morph? Was just sold as normal c. Cranwelli from a local exotics pet shop but he seems a bit more special to me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: can anyone identify this morph?

Hi,

Nice looking little frog, though I'm not going to be much help telling you what morph it is lol. You're right though, the tan on the eyes does look a bit different from the normal green babies I've seen.

I do have one question about his setup though; Did you bake those sticks before putting them in there? That kills parasites and other bugs that are almost always on found wood. Also, it seems like he has bits of sphagnum moss on him. Idk if the petstore ppl mentioned this, but if you have sphagnum moss in the tank, you have to take him out to feed him (I find it easier to just use cocofiber). They just make a blind grab once they lunge at food, and if they get any moss it is known for causing impactions.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum MissT! Please read the horned frog caresheet if you have not already: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

It looks like it might be either a "Lipstick" or reduced pattern green. (Lipsticks are essentially the same, they just have the pinkish tan markings on their mouths that kind of look like lipstick, hence the name.) It's hard to tell from one pic though.

NialR35

He kinda looks like a Samurai phase morph with that pattern, I could be wrong though. Very unique though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

lipstick

Are those outside sticks? If they are I would remove them asap. They could have things on them or in them you wouldn't want for your frog.

MissT

Thanks for the replies guys
    Yes the sticks have been treated. My partner iodene baths, rinses and bakes anything found from the outside world. We have been keeping reptiles for years and years and it's all standard practice for them too. The moss I never personally use for anything really, the tub we bought him in was filled with it so when we took we him out some came with. We quickly took a picture, removed the bits of moss then left him be to settle. Thats why this is the only picture we have so far. I have a big normal c. Cranwelli female in an exo terra set up and another young albino who is also rubbed. They all have a substrate of a coco fibre and soil mix, the soil is also baked before use because of a previous issue with gnat eggs already in there that we had with our indoor red foot tortoise enclosure.

So hes a lipstick?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! In the world of hybrids and strains naming morphs can be a challenge. As Colleen/Jerrod stated; it can be this or that. What you got is probably a cross of couple or more morphs that shows traits from more than one (Samurai Aqua color, reduced pattern 4 spot, Lipstick, etc.). You can call it a Lipstick if you want, it's your frog .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kk cool beans! Welcome!

Here is a tool to help with sick frogs. Its also great for getting the enclosure set up properly. From the sounds of it, you have everything undercontrol. There are a lot of frog keepers that keep thier froggies wrong due to conflicting information on the internet. Fill this out and we can get your enclosure set to prrfect mode. “Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Thread Information