Thread: just another bump in the road?

froggymomma

Default just another bump in the road?

ok so I have had a tough week and a half with my baby frogs. My ornate has developed a cloudy eye. It started today. He is eating well, but not sure what is causing the clouding. Too young to molt so infection maybe?? Anything I can do to help before vet visit on Monday, or do I need to make an emergency visit for my little guy. Need some advice if anyone can!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: just another bump in the road?

A good clear picture would help.

is it just one eye or both?

Nationality
    [Canada]

yes picture would help, however cloudy eye in a baby could mean one thing ( 99% probability) - infection, the next thing would be is to figure out why it has happen, so please post your answers to "the trouble in the enclosure" here.
    for eye infection that is what you need to do:
    - place a frog in a hospital set up - wet paper towels covering all 4 sides of the enclosure and a bottom.
    -make sure that temps are still staying in a correct range, but humidity a bit lower then usual.
    - get melafix ( sold in fish section), prepare the solution according to the instructions on bottle, use it for everything, pepertowels, soak a frog in that too, 2 times a day (warm water up to a frog chin). While melafix works very well for mild eye infections, often it is not enough, so i would use it for a few days and see what is happening, if you see infection is progressing or not getting better in 2-3 days, plan on seeing vet asap. I'd schedule an appointment for Monday, you can cancel it if a frog is all better by then.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

5. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

A picture would be very helpful. Is the eye bulging or protruding at all? Or is it just cloudy? Please answer these questions http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html and post the answers back here.

It is most likely a bacterial infection. It is possible he already had it when you got him. Stress also makes them more likely to develop infections. Follow what Lija said. Keep everything super clean and avoid any cross-contamination with your other frogs. Be careful with the Melafix; it is very strong. Recommended instructions are 1 teaspoon per 10 GALLONS. So you should only need 1 drop highly diluted for each soak (depending on what size dish you are using). If nothing else, this should help keep the infection from progressing further until you can get to a vet. Were you able to find one with experience treating frogs?

The fact that he is still eating is very, very good. You will have to keep any eye on him. But most minor infections - when caught early - can be cured with relative ease. Please keep us posted.

7. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

froggymomma

1. Size of enclosure 10 gallon tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences 1
    3. Humidity 85%
    4. Temperature 75
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish water treated with aqua safe de-chlorinator and all the other bad stuff
    6. Materials used for substrate eco earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. artificial plants a wooden cave and water dish disinfected tank and plants
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source crickets and earthworms
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) calcium dust on crickets, 4 times a week and vitamin solution added to water dish
    10. Lighting night and day lights 12 on 12 off

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure heating pad under tank, and have supplemental heat lamp on days temp is too low. Have it mounted 8 inches above aquarium.
    12. When is the last time he/she yesterday
    13. Have you found poop lately yes today
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) no camera available
    15. How old is the frog baby have had it 2 weeks now. size of a quarter
    16. How long have you owned him/her2 weeks
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats cricket every other day, earthworm treats 2 times a week hand feed with tongs. Has a really good appetite
    19. How often the frog is handled has not been handled since arrival was dehydrated when he got here, set him in pedialyte solution for 20 minutes, and that was last contact.

20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area low
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) daily water changes poop removal daily if needed. I change all of their eco earth every 2 weeks and disinfect tanks.
    It is only the right eye. I don't know how it happened. no live crickets left in tank and it appeared yesterday.

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGre

Nationality
    [United States]

Your temp is too low. It must be no less than 78° to 82° for babies.

Most of the time cloudy eye is caused by and infection like everyone has stated. Dirty water is a common way for them to contract it, but I believe it was brought on by their extremely stressful trip to your home.

Where did you purchase them from?

froggymomma

Purchased them from reptilestogo out of Florida. They were packed and shipped properly, but the UPS delivery guy did not knock on the door at delivery.
    He left them outside in 95 degree weather with heat index of 104. Daytime temp is running 85 night time is 75. Do I need to keep it 85 all the time? His eye is clearer today without any treatment. Not sure what the problem is with it. Vet visit scheduled for tomorrow. Gonna take him for check=up just in case. Thanks for the help.

Nope they need a day temp and night temp. Might want to take the day temp down a degree if you can.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by froggymomma View Post
    Purchased them from reptilestogo out of Florida. They were packed and shipped properly, but the UPS delivery guy did not knock on the door at delivery.
    He left them outside in 95 degree weather with heat index of 104. Daytime temp is running 85 night time is 75. Do I need to keep it 85 all the time? His eye is clearer today without any treatment. Not sure what the problem is with it. Vet visit scheduled for tomorrow. Gonna take him for check=up just in case. Thanks for the help.
    I asked because most breeders/suppliers will not ship live animals when the temps are too high or low for just this reason. No matter how well you pack them, the chances of something going wrong are much higher.

Yes, they should have day and night temps, but not too drastic of a drop. Aim for 78-79 at night and 80-82 during the day for babies. I strongly recommend a lamp with a dimmer switch so that you can tweak the temps.

Still waiting on those pics. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Thread Information