Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

  1. #1
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Hello,

    I read in a different threat that it's possible for small babies to "tox-out" from sitting too long overnight in the water IF the water has poop. Have you guys heard about this? Is it safe to leave a up-to-the-chin water bowl for my new pyxie or should I remove it until he/she is 2 inches+? Any feedback about this would be wonderful, because it did get me paranoid!

    Thanks!

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
     

  3. #2
    100+ Post Member Bombina Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Fraser valley BC
    Posts
    1,126
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    ive never heard of the "tox-out" theory before but as soon as you see poop its nesecary to clean it up as soon as possible.With your pixie froglet i wouldnt worry about the water level but you can put stones in the water or a small sheet of moss so he can have a choice of how deep he wants to go in the water bowl
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"



  4. #3
    maxQ
    Guest

    Default Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Ive also have been told that water level is critical. Ive always went with a rule of thumb that never have the dish deeper than the length of the babies body.


    Using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Eel Noob
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Most frogs will leave their dirty water bowls as soon as they're done doing their business in it. Latex gloves are very handy because there has been a few time where I must of caught my frogs just finishing up or what but had to move the frogs out myself to clean their bowls.

  6. #5
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Well one of the things that was mentioned was that a baby frog has the possibility of absorbing through its skin the contaminated water if they sit in it for too long; so its not recommended to have a water bowl when a frog is less than 2" inches long. The member recommended to just do baths every other day.

    Any other feedback?

  7. #6
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,665
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Yes they can tox out from sitting is soiled water. The amount of water determines how quickly they may Tox Out due to the toxins being slightly diluted in larger water sources, but also if the dish is too deep and the frog cannot get out it will drown.


  8. #7
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    So do you normally keep your babies without water bowls?

  9. #8
    Eel Noob
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    So do you normally keep your babies without water bowls?
    Every one of my frogs starts out with a appropriate size bowl, I like for my frogs to be able hydrate and relieve themselves whenever they want. Frogs can absorb toxins even through from substrate they're kept in so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If really worried than keep frogs like how they do it over seas, keep them on sponge/foam. Animals are very good at hiding their illness due to predators, predators will pick off the weakest and oldest first. That's why it's so hard to tell when a animal first gets sick until it's too late.

  10. #9
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Yes they can tox out from sitting is soiled water. The amount of water determines how quickly they may Tox Out due to the toxins being slightly diluted in larger water sources, but also if the dish is too deep and the frog cannot get out it will drown.
    So Colleen/Jerrod,

    Do you agree with what Justin posted in that other post about the loss of that cornuta? Do you keep your babies less than 2 inches without a water bowl? Justin did make a point but I'm wondering how dangerous it really can be. It's true that if the baby frog goes in the water overnight while you are sleep and stays in the water with feces, it could be dead by the morning. I thought frogs would not stay in the dirty water like that for so long.

  11. #10
    Moderator Lija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,471
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    i wouldn't get too paranoid about that, they do need clean water at all the time, so just make sure you clean it as soon as he poops or/and once a day if he didn't poop and water level is no higher then his chin. of course you can't sit and watch him all day long if he soil his water or not, check in am, check after you home, change it and you'll be all good. i personally like ceramic bowls that you put plant pots in, cheap and just right depth and size for most
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

  12. #11
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    i wouldn't get too paranoid about that, they do need clean water at all the time, so just make sure you clean it as soon as he poops or/and once a day if he didn't poop and water level is no higher then his chin. of course you can't sit and watch him all day long if he soil his water or not, check in am, check after you home, change it and you'll be all good. i personally like ceramic bowls that you put plant pots in, cheap and just right depth and size for most

    Thanks girl !

    Well what I do is change the water daily every night after feeding, since they spend most of their time awake at night at least it will have clean water if it goes inside to rest. But that post really made me paranoid lol...

  13. #12
    Moderator Lija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,471
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Do you agree with what Justin posted in that other post about the loss of that cornuta? Do you keep your babies less than 2 inches without a water bowl? Justin did make a point but I'm wondering how dangerous it really can be. It's true that if the baby frog goes in the water overnight while you are sleep and stays in the water with feces, it could be dead by the morning. I thought frogs would not stay in the dirty water like that for so long.
    no, absolutely not! it is not possible for a frog to die just because it was staying in his soiled water for a few hours ( overnight), not unless there is underlying heath condition. will go check on that post, but it is not even theoretically possible as well as to prove that.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

  14. #13
    Moderator Lija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,471
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Thanks girl !

    Well what I do is change the water daily every night after feeding, since they spend most of their time awake at night at least it will have clean water if it goes inside to rest. But that post really made me paranoid lol...

    you're welcome, sorry I'm not around lately, I'm in a middle of nowhere with close to none internet connection, cells are down too lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

  15. #14
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    no, absolutely not! it is not possible for a frog to die just because it was staying in his soiled water for a few hours ( overnight), not unless there is underlying heath condition. will go check on that post, but it is not even theoretically possible as well as to prove that.
    Well he did not say that was the reason but mentioned it could be ONE of the reasons why it died; because it was a random death from apparently a healthy frog( was eating well and bio breaks every week). Nevertheless, he did mention that it could be a form of toxicity. It's in the pacman boards...titled "Suriname Horned Frog died"

  16. #15
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    you're welcome, sorry I'm not around lately, I'm in a middle of nowhere with close to none internet connection, cells are down too lol
    Yea I was starting to wonder where you were!

  17. #16
    Moderator Lija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,471
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    there is never a random death from a healthy frog. there is always a reason, but it is not always an easy task to point what that is, so unless proven it is not possible to say yes or no, but you can speculate based on theoretical facts, and based on these, nothing can be toxic to frog in his poop to the point it will die from sitting in it for a few hours, however if he is constantly sitting in such water, perhaps for days at a time than is different.
    the fact is - don't stress out over this, keep your baby as clean as you can possibly do it and everything is gonna be all right.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

  18. #17
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,665
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    So Colleen/Jerrod,

    Do you agree with what Justin posted in that other post about the loss of that cornuta? Do you keep your babies less than 2 inches without a water bowl? Justin did make a point but I'm wondering how dangerous it really can be. It's true that if the baby frog goes in the water overnight while you are sleep and stays in the water with feces, it could be dead by the morning. I thought frogs would not stay in the dirty water like that for so long.
    I never not provide a water source. Yes it is very possible that the very fragile baby cornuta could easily tox out from sitting in soiled water for extended periods, but it is the keeper's duty to prevent such occurences by removing the frog from the water and changing it after a few hours or sooner. Justin knows his stuff. Most are smart enough to leave the water once it becomes soiled, but each individual frog is different. Cornuta are natoriously fragile and are prone to SADS or Sudden Amphibian Death Syndrome. There are not warning signs of this until the frog has passed for what appears for no reason so caution should always be taken.

    Now the frogs you have are not as fragile as a Cornuta so don't freak out.


  19. #18
    NialR35
    Guest

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Awesome, thanks for the peace of mind guys.

  20. #19
    Moderator Lija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,471
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I never not provide a water source. Yes it is very possible that the very fragile baby cornuta could easily tox out from sitting in soiled water for extended periods, but it is the keeper's duty to prevent such occurences by removing the frog from the water and changing it after a few hours or sooner. Justin knows his stuff. Most are smart enough to leave the water once it becomes soiled, but each individual frog is different. Cornuta are natoriously fragile and are prone to SADS or Sudden Amphibian Death Syndrome. There are not warning signs of this until the frog has passed for what appears for no reason so caution should always be taken.

    Now the frogs you have are not as fragile as a Cornuta so don't freak out.
    exactly!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Glazed clay bowls?
    By Pyxiefan001 in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 20th, 2013, 03:10 AM
  2. food bowls
    By cameron740 in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 16th, 2013, 04:55 PM
  3. Food bowls for treefrogs
    By chris michaels in forum Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
  4. GBR Press: Species' extinction threat grows
    By John in forum Press / News Items
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
  5. MD Press: Disease Threat May Change How Frogs Mate
    By Herp News in forum Press / News Items
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •