Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered with layers of plastic,

Tyson

Default This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered with layers of plastic,

Hope it's safe if there is plastic over it, if so, I have all I need, if not ill need to find something else for the sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eel Noob

Default Re: This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered with layers of plastic,

Pine and cedar are usually not the best for animals. I have no experience with any type of DIY projects but would probably recommend going with a different type of wood.

maxQ

Default This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered

What are you planning on putting in it when its complete?

Using Tapatalk

Tyson

Default Re: This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered with layers of plastic,

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Pine and cedar are usually not the best for animals. I have no experience with any type of Do It Yourself projects but would probably recommend going with a different type of wood.
    Darn, the cedar is inexpensive, pine is just as bad, I'll keep looking for something to use

Tyson

Default Re: This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered

Quote Originally Posted by maxQ View Post
    What are you planning on putting in it when its complete?

Using Tapatalk
    after I find a siding, and then put plastic down, making this for my African bullfrogs. It will have tons of plants, a 2 foot wide water feature, a waterfall feature, several basking areas, and digging areas.

Eel Noob

Default Re: This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    after I find a siding, and then put plastic down, making this for my African bullfrogs. It will have tons of plants, a 2 foot wide water feature, a waterfall feature, several basking areas, and digging areas.
    What type of plastic?

Tyson

What type of plastic?
    3.5 mil black plastic sheeting, made in USA of recycled plastic. It won't be touching them, but can the fumes be a problem? They won't be able to dig down to it as the only places they will be able to dig are separate containers filled with coconut soil.

Eel Noob

so I'm guessing these will be joined with acrylic glue? I know that pine and cedar shavings are bad for animals (causes respiratory issues, etc) so I'm guessing it might hold true for frogs as well.

Tyson

so I'm guessing these will be joined with acrylic glue? I know that pine and cedar shavings are bad for animals (causes respiratory issues, etc) so I'm guessing it might hold true for frogs as well.
    No joining, the cedar planks would go up, then the plastic would lay over it, covering everything in one huge sheet, then up and over and tacked to the other side, I was just worried about the fumes going up and over and in, I think maybe I'm stressing over nothing.

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    No joining, the cedar planks would go up, then the plastic would lay over it, covering everything in one huge sheet, then up and over and tacked to the other side, I was just worried about the fumes going up and over and in, I think maybe I'm stressing over nothing.
    Cedar has a oil in it that gives off that pleasant aromatic smell, which is bad for animals. But if it's just for the bottom and it's sealed properly to prevent wood from leaching any tannins into the setup it might be fine. I guess research up on cedar and come to conclusion yourself.

Tyson

Cedar has a oil in it that gives off that pleasant aromatic smell, which is bad for animals. But if it's just for the bottom and it's sealed properly to prevent wood from leaching any tannins into the setup it might be fine. I guess research up on cedar and come to conclusion yourself.
    Pay, decided to go with it, I am going to put a second Mayer of plastic down also, here is a pic, I'm almost done with it!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  48.0 KB 3 more sides, then plastic, rock, water feature, errrrr, ok, maybe not almost done, but getting there! Lol

Eel Noob

GL with the project.

If these are hard plastic sheets you could potentially join them together at the edges like a tank with acylic glue.

Tyson

GL with the project.

If these are hard plastic sheets you could potentially join them together at the edges like a tank with acylic glue.
    It's almost done, cedar for the walls, the plastic sheet over it all, then rocks, digging area, ect,,,, this thing will be the death of me, my frogs better like it! LolName:  image.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  52.5 KB

are you talking about making a large, indoor pond type structure, using pond liner?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    are you talking about making a large, indoor pond type structure, using pond liner?
    Pit will have a plastic sheeting inside in case of splashing, but there will be one third ground, one third plants, and 2 foot circular pound and twisty waterfall will make up the final third. It will be a little tropical paradise, I'm even going to put tiny outdoor speakers on the back, so I can put rain noises, and once in a while ill even pipe in tiki room for video taking lol

Tyson

I'm about to put the plastic sheeting inside, then start cleanup, then comes, decorations, rock, water feature, waterfall, ect,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

as long as it is 100% covered, it 'should' be ok. i wouldn't use anything but pond liner inside though.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Tyson

as long as it is 100% covered, it 'should' be ok. i wouldn't use anything but pond liner inside though.
    If it won't be touching them does it have to be pond liner? If so why? Going to have layers of rock on top of it, and on the sides, is it a fume issue?

Default This is my new setup so far, I want to use ceder planks for the sides, covered

Simply put, if it is going to have weight, rocks and water, I am going to use a nice piece of tough pond liner
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Tyson

Simply put, if it is going to have weight, rocks and water, I am going to use a nice piece of tough pond liner
    O! Not worried about that part, the rocks are supported by the wood, not the liner, and the water is in a preformed 2 foot insert, the plastic is just a layer to keep any splashing from hurting the wood, and protecting from and wood oil/fumes, just a barrier, I was going to put two or more layers of it, it's 3.5 mil thick, so between 7 and 9.5 thick of it. I'm even putting one water insert inside of the other so I can't leave one in for the shape, and take the other out to clean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information