Thread: one messed up froggy

loudan

Angry one messed up froggy

well my pacman has an open sore on his belly and he seems bloated,the color goes from yellow to soft yellow\white and it looks purple\red. i gave him a honey bath last night for aprox. 10-15, i think he might be "toxing-out" because theirs no way for compaction. i feed him a staple diet of night crawlers roughly 2-4 worms each time. i use bottled water for his water because i do not have a water filter,sometimes i use abandoned open waters i find around the house,i think that is why he is toxing out. but how do i help heal his sore type wound? i feel awful that this is happening to my poor frog.Name:  009.jpg
Views: 7062
Size:  121.9 KBName:  015.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  105.4 KBName:  019.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  75.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pyxiefan001

Default Re: one messed up froggy

Firstly I recommend getting a dechlorinating agent (like Repti-Safe) and treat any frog water with that accordingly. Even bottled water is often collected from municipal sources and who knows what they put in there. As for treatment of Frog's ailment, wait for someone more experienced.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Please answer the questions from this link: http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html and post the answers back here.

I don't see the open sore you are referring to, but he is definitely bloated and very likely toxing out. Water quality is VERY important to their survival. What type of bottled water are you using? Some bottled water still has chlorine in it. Water should always be treated with a de-chlorinator just to be on the safe side. Random water containers you find around the house are definitely a bad idea... You need to get some clean, fresh, de-chlorinated water immediately. You need to use that to expand his substrate as well as the water for soaking. Change out everything in the enclosure, clean everything thoroughly, and replace with fresh substrate. Get some UNFLAVORED Pedialyte and soak him in a bath of lukewarm de-chlorinated water with a 1:10 ratio of Pedialyte to water (one ounce of Pedialyte for every ten ounces of water). Soak him in that for about 15-20 minutes. Then place him in his water dish in his enclosure with a bath of plain de-chlorinated water.

Please answer the questions and keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

When you gently feel his sides, are they sort of soft and squishy? Or do they feel firm and hard?

loudan

yes the sides do feel hard. i have crystal geyser natural alpine spring for bottled water, could i just boil the hell out of this water? i do not have the funds to go get a water purifier at the moment, also i forgot to take a picture of the sore,but their is in fact a sore.

Dechlorinator is about three or four dollars. Way cheaper than a filter and one bottle will last a very long time.

loudan

ohhh alright il go buy some, thank you.

NialR35

Colleen/Jerrod got you covered. Answer the questions he asked though so all the experts here can help you better.

Get the repti safe, it's very easy to use and removes everything that needs to be removed from water INSTANTLY. You just add drops of it depending on the amount of water. I hope your frog gets better soon!

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you get a picture of the sore on the frog's belly? Since there's no way that won't get bedding in it, you should switch the bedding from coco-fiber to moist paper towels. These need to be changed daily.

The sore, and the purple/red colors you described makes me think there's probably some sort of infection going on as well. If that's the case usually they'll need antibiotics. But deal with the toxing out first. Until that's taken care of there's no way to tell what (if any) symptoms are due to the open sore, and what's because he's toxing out.

For the open sore, you can put original Neosporin on it. The kind WITHOUT PAINKILLER. The kind with painkiller will kill the frog.

Is it a sore or puncture?

loudan

its a sore,like a pimple,i cleaned him and put him in an ICU. iv got the ointment,im gona put gloves on and apply the ointment to the wound. hopefully tomorrow i can make it to the store to get some declorin-ATOR. im gonna do acouple more honey baths today,hopefully thatl take his bloating down and he will poop.

Nationality
    [United States]

A hard bloat is almost always a bacterial infection. He will need a vet to get the antibiotics needed to treat the infection.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Please answer these questions too please. They will help get you frog back to health.

Nationality
    [United States]

Asnswer the questions Dan posted so we can figure out how this happened.

Thread Information