Thread: Should I be concerned? (Whole cricket in poop)

Gentlemangorath

Default Should I be concerned? (Whole cricket in poop)

So I fed Boom about 4 crickets last night while I was cleaning his tank, 2 of which were dusted with vitamins, 2 weren't, and found this on a leaf this morning;

It nearly looks like 2 of the crickets he was fed. He hasn't been showing any signs of illness, he actually pooped before being fed and that was a normal looking poop, yet this one is obviously awful. Was it perhaps stress from being handled between the cleaning and transfer between my pet carrier tank and the terrarium? He did seem awfully panicked, he even tried to jump off my hand and nearly fell (luckily I caught him though), so I'm hoping this was just a side effect, but I wanted some opinions.

-Also, I've read about whole crickets in poop that they could be too big for the frog, but these were no bigger than the ones I normally feed him. Just a note I guess.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Should I be concerned? (Whole cricket in poop)

My first thought was that they were too big, but now that I look more closely, it actually looks like an intestinal infection. I would recommend getting a vet to test the stool.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Gentlemangorath

What makes you think that in particular out of curiosity? Is it the blob to the left of the cricket, or is it the yellowish tint? I think/hope that he simply had a poor digestion between the vitamins and the stress of being handled personally, but it's not like I have any experience with any of this. Could I wait for his next dropping and then decide about a vet visit? I mean, aside from this issue, he was nice and active, obviously still had an appetite, and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Nationality
    [United States]

It looks a lot like my white's stoll when she had a protazoan infection... that's all.
    She had very poor digestion (even with appropriately sized crickets). Her stool always had pieces of crickets and some mucous. NEver solid.
    Are you using anew vitamin or calcium? It could be a reaction to that?
    I just always feel that it's so inexpensive to check a fecal, that it should be done if never done before...
    Just my opinion, of course
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Gentlemangorath

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    It looks a lot like my white's stoll when she had a protazoan infection... that's all.
    She had very poor digestion (even with appropriately sized crickets). Her stool always had pieces of crickets and some mucous. NEver solid.
    Are you using anew vitamin or calcium? It could be a reaction to that?
    I just always feel that it's so inexpensive to check a fecal, that it should be done if never done before...
    Just my opinion, of course
    How much is it (on average) for just the fecal test? Up at my college town they were charging $45 for the visit, but they didn't tell me how much a fecal test would be when I mentioned it. Just curious :P. Also, I'll pretty much have to wait for the next poo sample unfortunately, as I tossed that one out (I'm an idiot, I know). Thanks for sharing your experience, and for the input, I greatly appreciate both.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemangorath View Post
    How much is it (on average) for just the fecal test? Up at my college town they were charging $45 for the visit, but they didn't tell me how much a fecal test would be when I mentioned it. Just curious :P. Also, I'll pretty much have to wait for the next poo sample unfortunately, as I tossed that one out (I'm an idiot, I know). Thanks for sharing your experience, and for the input, I greatly appreciate both.
    Dr. Frye charges $18.00, but you have to overnight it or 2day it to him...
    You're vet could maybe do just a fecal test without the visit. I would guess it would cost about $18.00 with any vet.
    I found a vet in my area who will do the fecal for $15 without a visit.

You're not an idiot! You could surely wait until the next BM and see how it looks. Stress from handling causes all kinds of wierd reactions. And yes, it could very likely be a combo of handling and the vitamin. It's always best to check, IMO.

And just so you know, my frog probably had the infection for a long time before I treated her. So it's probably not an emergency situation...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Thread Information