Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default URGENT- Sick Golden Bell Frog- HELP NEEDED

I found it, I think. Is it this one?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374196493.881793.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  56.3 KB
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: URGENT- Sick Golden Bell Frog- HELP NEEDED

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Was he pretty lethargic earlier? Twitching?

Is it possible for you to read the ingredients in the supplement for me?

Crossing fingers for you!
    Yes, he was lethargic, twitching a lot, flipped onto his back several times

It's this one..
    Name:  737399285625.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  24.7 KB

**hooray for tiny pictures haha**

Active ingredients are: Calcium Boroglucanate 200g/L; Cholecalciferol (Vit D3) 12,500IU/L; Magnesium Sulfate 5g/L

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

Nationality
    [United States]

Did the twitching lessen or stop at all?

Try and keep his house temp around 75'F or 23.88'C, keep everything nice and quiet and give the tank a nice mist. Put in a few bugs and let him rest. The flipping is a sign of stress. They don't understand that we're helping them. Lets let him relax tonight.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thank you for your help the twitching stopped after the bath, and he wasn't twitching while in there. I'll pop a few flies in there, and I need to change the paper towel so I'll give it a good mist when I do that my bedroom is probably around that temperature at night, so I'll try maintain that.. I'm keeping the tanks covered with muslin to try lessen stress.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank goodness . Great job! Let's hope for the best. I'll check back tomorrow. It's time to catch some sleep. Night!

Nationality
    [United States]

Your care package is in route...should be there in 7 to 10 days from tomorrow, minus Sundays.

Hopefully they will start eating before then. Either way, you'll have your frog home remedy care kit. It does not have any prescription meds or anything only a vet can give, as I am not permitted to prescribe meds, but it has a bunch of items you may need .

Keep offering what you can for food. Please continue to update us so we can guide you .

Thank you so much Heather two calcium soaks later, Mr Blobby seems to be perking up, and the twitches and tremors seem to be reducing (touch wood!)

He's still not eating though, would it be a good idea to give a liquid vitamin soak for nutrients? It's coming up to a week without food (maybe more). If so, what would the dosage be? Thank you so much for all your help, I will keep you updated

Nationality
    [United States]

I've never done a vitamin soak. I'm not sure if its safe for their outer skin. You could try to force feed some fruit flies. Mix them with a teeny tiny bit of dechlorinated water and a tiny bit of vitamin and gently spoon them in. If you do, wash your hands thoroughly, rinse super well, and rinse your hands again with dechlorinated water. Use a plain, unprinted paper towel moistened with dechlorinated water and wrap it around him like a bunting, but not too tight. Then try very gently to open his mouth and spoon the mixture in carefully a little at a time. Be careful not to choke him with too much fluid at a time. A small syringe works even better.

This us not a very clear photo, but it shows how.

I've never done a vitamin soak. I'm not sure if its safe for their outer skin. You could try to force feed some fruit flies. Mix them with a teeny tiny bit of dechlorinated water and a tiny bit of vitamin and gently spoon them in. If you do, wash your hands thoroughly, rinse super well, and rinse your hands again with dechlorinated water. Use a plain, unprinted paper towel moistened with dechlorinated water and wrap it around him like a bunting, but not too tight. Then try very gently to open his mouth and spoon the mixture in carefully a little at a time. Be careful not to choke him with too much fluid at a time. A small syringe works even better.

This us not a very clear photo, but it shows how.
    Ah, I see.. I'll try once more feeding him live flies, but if he doesn't eat I'll give that a go... That frog sure looks cute all wrapped up like that, haha thanks for the tip about wrapping him, I was trying to figure out how I would force feed a tiny, slippery frog!

*Edit: I think it's possible his original impaction wasn't completely cleared, therefore he wasn't eating... but when I put him in the feeding tank to try get him to eat, he started defecating thats the second poop in a few days... hopefully he'll eat after this!

Nationality
    [United States]

Any luck? I'm thinking they may be more attracted to the baby crickets.

Glad to hear he's pooping. Sigh of relief! Lets hope he gets hungry now.

I put some fruit flies in his tank overnight to try tempt him into eating... But I don't know if he actually did unfortunately.

I'm continuing with the calcium soaks, and keeping a close eye on him. I'll give the BioSuppliers a ring about the crickets, apparently they courier them to you fairly quickly

He seems quite shy, actively hiding away from things, but then again he's much perkier than he was a few days ago.

I'm trying to get the humidity in their tanks up by misting with warm water, and putting warm water in their water dishes... It seems to work, at least for a while

I'm fully aware that I'm mixing threads here, and I know I shouldn't, but the other sick frog did another poop today while in a warm calcium bath ( I though I'd give him one as well seeing as he was on the same diet and not eating). That makes two for him as well haha..

Overall I think both of them are improving, but we have a long way to go yet :/

On a positive note, the other frogs are all eating supplemented fruit flies happily and are looking good

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374371702.640289.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  87.1 KB

Thank you so much for all your help Heather, and everyone else as well

Nationality
    [United States]

Gabby,
    This is great to hear
    What a great job you're doing.
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Gabby,
    This is great to hear
    What a great job you're doing.
    Lynn
    I couldn't do it without the amazing people like you in this wonderful community

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so happy to hear this. Just keep up the good work and cross your fingers. Maybe they'll eat tonight.

I'm so happy to hear this. Just keep up the good work and cross your fingers. Maybe they'll eat tonight.
    I'm repeatedly kicking myself for forgetting to offer them food last night, before I went to a friend's sleepover... I'm back now and doing the calcium soak routine, I'll offer them food afterwards. Mr Blobby isn't looking so blobby any more (he's passed whatever impaction he had it seems), and his colour is improved... a light brown-bronze with green spots as opposed to muddy brown... but his front toes are curling and twitching a little. I noticed this yesterday as well.

I guess there's not much I can do but continue soaks, offer food, and maybe attempt to force feed tonight.

*UPDATE 1: He's doing another poop. What. How many poops can a tiny little frog do without eating for a week? Oh well. Maybe this is it finally *touches wood*

*UPDATE 2: After that poop, he's hopping around in his tank, the most active I've seen him... I think he might me getting better! Gonna try feed now

Right. So it's Tuesday today, which means I've had the frogs for 11 days now.

Mr Blobby is still not eating fruit flies, and today I caved and offered him a solitary mealie worm. I split it in half and rubbed the juice over his lips, but he didn't seem to like that.. I won't be trying that again as I think it probably stressed him out too much.

He's no longer bloated and seems in ok condition- but he's hiding away in a corner of the tank and his skin has gone back to a muddy brown colouration. Stress?

I guess what I would like to know is
    1) How long could a 1" juvenile tree frog go without food before needing to resort to force-feeding?
    and
    2) Is it possible he's really stressed out from the big move, being sick, daily calcium soaks etc?

I've covered all sides of his tank, and I'm going to try disturb him as little as possible from now. I would really hate to lose this little guy, I've become really attached to him

Nationality
    [United States]

Gabby, I can teach you how to force feed. What types of insects do you have? Any chance you have any crickets?

Thanks Heather..

No crickets, I rang the BioSuppliers and all they have are adults which are too big for my little froggies to eat. I have fruit flies and some mealie worms that the previous owner passed on to me.
    I guess with the force feeding I'm just terrified I'll accidentally hurt Mr Blobby, because he's small... I imagine it would be a simpler matter to force feed an adult Pacman or WTF... :P

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I'm not going to lie, it's not easy and you have to be super careful. It's easier with a solid bug.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you have any earthworms?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information