Thread: Substrate questions

NonCnfrmstsUnite

Default Substrate questions

Hello all,

Im looking for advice on my current substrate.

I currently have a 20 Gallon Long tank housing 3 African DWARF frogs, 5 tetras, 3 guppies, 1 neon blue gourami, and 2 nerite snails. I would like to get 2 African CLAWED frogs as well. Before I put any CLAWED frogs in this tank, I intend to move all of its current occupants out. The 3 dwarf frogs and the gourami will move to a 5.5 gal tank with standard aquarium gravel. The other fish will go to a local pet store.

I have 3 different kinds of substrate in this tank. The 1st layer is plant fertilizer, the 2nd layer is black silica sand, and the 3rd is a layer of smooth flat-ish black pebbles roughly 1"-2" in size. The total depth of all of this substrate combined is about 2"-2.5".

Is this current substrate okay for African CLAWED frogs? Or should I remove it all and replace it with something else like some other kind of sand?

Here is some other info about my 20 Gallon. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement please let me know.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?
    -20 gal L full. I've added a 6" tall canopy so I can fill the tank completly and still have plenty of space between the water level and the lid. (I'll attach pics)

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?
    -Currently = 3 Dwarf frogs, 3 guppies, 5 black neon tetras, 1 neon blue gourami, 2 nerite snails
    -Soon to be = only 2 Clawed frogs.

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?
    -Tap water treated with Novaqua 2 days-3weeks prior to being added to tank.
    -Will start adding lymnozyme to tank with Clawed frogs.

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?
    -80F Aqueon submersible heater for 20 gal tanks.

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.
    -pH: 7.6
    -Ammonia: .25ppm
    -Nitrite: 0ppm
    -Nitrate: 0ppm
    The water is currently kind of yellow/brown-ish so I will be doing a water change tomorrow.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?
    [/COLOR]-Aqueon Quietflow Internal Power Filter replaceable cartrige includes foam and carbon.
    -Trying to switch to the more gentle AquaClear Hang off Back filter. During the transition I will have both filter running until the new AquaClear is populated with bacterial goodness, at which point I will remove the original Aqueon power filter.
    -Air pump for oxygen is also used.

7. Substrate type?
    -Plant fertilizer, silica sand, and smooth 1" pebbles

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?
    -Used to have live plants until they all slowly died because I didn't give them enough CO2. 1 Fake lily pad at the moment. Will add more fake plants before adding clawed frogs. 1 Large piece of mopani wood. (Will add another) 2 clusters of medium sized river rocks.
    -Mopani wood was soaked in a bucket of NovAqua treated tap water which was changed daily to allow tannins to leach out before adding to tank.
    -Medium river rocks were boiled
    -All other items were rinsed in regular tap water and added to the tank before it was cycled.

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?
    -ReptoMine Sinking frog granuals for the frogs and occasional frozen cubed dahpina/shrimp/worm/etc mix. Fish flakes or tetra granuals for the fish.
    -Frog food 1 daily
    -Fish food 1-3 times a day depending on the day and portion(s).

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

-Currently no additives are being used beyond the NovAqua water treatment. Will add Lymnozym when Clawed frogs are added. Should I be using Lymnozyme on dwarf frogs and the fish as well?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?
    - ZooMed Flora Sun bulb in a desk lamp hanging over the tank. Set on a timer to be on from 5AM-5PM.

12. When is the last time frog ate?
    -Possibly this morning at 5AMish

13. Have you found poop lately?
    -Yes

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).
    -Attachment 56339Attachment 56340Attachment 56341

15. How old is the frog?
    -No idea. The blond ADF was really small when I got him. Now he's the same 1.5" as the other ADFs.

16. How long have you owned him/her?
    -About 5 months.

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?
    -I assume captive bred.

18. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?
    -Nope

19. Any salt in water (how much)?
    -Nope

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?
    -Low.

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).
    - Monthly 50% water change and "gravel" vac. Essentially moving the black rocks around and siphoning the silica sand as best I can before I remove too much water. (I've made the mistake of being too aggressive/overwhelming with my cleaning before I realized the issues that could occur with the nitrogen cycle.)
    -Bi-monthly filter media replacement.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Substrate questions

Hello and welcome to FF! A 5 gal. for 3 ADF and one Gourami (2 in. right?) is a bit overcrowded.

Think a pair of ACF will be fine in 20L. Would remove all substrate from tank and clean well before setting up for ACF with no substrate. Filter will take around 30 days to mature and keep ammonia and nitrite levels down. Would not keep snails and frogs together in same tanks. Snails are natural parasite (nasty ones) stage vectors for amphibians. Filter media should be rinsed out with tank water during water changes and the filter pads and bio-media should never be replaced at the same time. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information