Thread: Pacman Problems

Default Pacman Problems

Name:  IMG_1188.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  141.0 KBI have given my new Pacman their his/her first honey bath. Before any bathing I did notice that his/her chin area was larger than other frogs I have seen. After the honey bath, I did notice a slight shrinkage in the chin but it is still large. I found out through handling when moving the Pacman in and out of the honey bath that his/her chin is sagging. Why? Also after I returned him/her to the enclosure I started removing pieces of moss he turned towards them like it was food, later when (small) crickets were passing by my frog, they did not eat them. I have noticed that the first crickets that I have placed in the cage are gone (eaten or hiding). I have not found any evidence of poop. For a baby pacman, 1.5-2.5 inches, are small crickets too small? I am really scared that my packy is going to either starve itself or die from other problems.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Problems

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    Name:  IMG_1188.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  141.0 KBI have given my new Pacman their his/her first honey bath. Before any bathing I did notice that his/her chin area was larger than other frogs I have seen. After the honey bath, I did notice a slight shrinkage in the chin but it is still large. I found out through handling when moving the Pacman in and out of the honey bath that his/her chin is sagging. Why? Also after I returned him/her to the enclosure I started removing pieces of moss he turned towards them like it was food, later when (small) crickets were passing by my frog, they did not eat them. I have noticed that the first crickets that I have placed in the cage are gone (eaten or hiding). I have not found any evidence of poop. For a baby pacman, 1.5-2.5 inches, are small crickets too small? I am really scared that my packy is going to either starve itself or die from other problems.
    Offer medium sized crickets your frog is too big for small crickets and will not waste energy on something it feels is not worth eating. Offer a variety of different foods. Night Crawlers, Waxworms, Any kind of feeder Roaches, Order some Hornworms(Goliath Worms/Tomatoe Worms).

At petstores are night crawlers off the counter or do you have to ask for them, also do you know anything about the sagging chin?

I just bought some medium crickets, I put one in the enclosure to see if he would take it... nothing. I really hope he/she eats soon because if she doesn't eat in the next week and one half I will return her back to the store. D:

Nationality
    [United States]

At petstores are night crawlers off the counter or do you have to ask for them, also do you know anything about the sagging chin?
    OK, first thing to do is read and follow this excellent care article if you have not done so: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Second is to get rid of the moss; it's an impaction hazard and substrate should be plain shredded coco fiber.

Crickets should be sized same as distance between frog's eyes and gut loaded 24-48 hours with Repashy's Bug Burger, and veggies. Can get night crawlers at most Walmarts (sport section). Cut worms from pointy end if too large for frog (what is your frog snout to vent length?), they will heal up. If from bait & tacle shop, make sure they are not dyed. What temp and humidity are you running in enclosure?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I dd take out as much as the moss as i could before you told me to do so, i am using eco earth and i am using crickets that are about the size between their eyes. I dont gut load them but if i do, can i just use old fruits and veggies? I will buy night crawlers from petco or petsmart as soon as possible. Do you know anything about the sagging chin issue?

Potatoes and carrots are good gut loaders. Nothing canned. Please do the Trouble in the enclosure question. If he isn't eating by now something is probably off. As for the saggy chin. It doesn't look bad.

I did do the trouble in enclosure and he/she finally ate. It was a small cricket and it happened right when approached the enclosure. After that she ate one medium undusted cricket. After an hour I gave her a honey bath and she took a poop. I got her around 5 days ago and this is her first time eating.

Nationality
    [United States]

I did do the trouble in enclosure and he/she finally ate. It was a small cricket and it happened right when approached the enclosure. After that she ate one medium undusted cricket. After an hour I gave her a honey bath and she took a poop. I got her around 5 days ago and this is her first time eating.
    You must be patient. These frogs become stressed easily and when they arrive in a new enviroment it can take anywhere from an hour to an entire week to adjust to the new enviroment.

Now you should be ok. Offer food daily.

Thread Information