Thread: Questions about raising froglets (and side question)

Gentlemangorath

Default Questions about raising froglets (and side question)

So it turns out that this year there were so many tadpoles, that we decided to let the main pool be a breeding pool for the summer, and some of the tadpoles have begun there transformation into froglets, found on the sides of the pool. So I want to get about 4 of these little guys and raise them, but I want to be sure I have everything I would need (both knowledge and products), so I'm asking before taking the froglets.
    I know I need;
    -something to keep them in as they grow, for which I have a good sized pet carrier.
    -substrate (i was thinking of using moistened paper towels instead of coco fiber?)
    -food (pinhead crickets or fruitflies, probably going to have to order these)
    -Hygrometer/thermometer
    -multivit/calcium+d3 (as long as the stuff I give my mature H. cinerea is ok for the froglets, I've got this covered)
    -coverage for them to hide in?

So I think these are the basics I need, right? Or what about lighting/warmth? Lastly, an issue with the divided populations of tadpoles; We currently have the main pool and a small kiddie pool in use for the tadpoles, however, the kiddie pool has a large amount of tadpoles to a small amount of water, especially when compared to the main pool, and the tadpoles in the kiddie pool are much smaller than those in the main pool. We've now decided not to even bother opening the pool this year, so I could transfer all of those tadpoles into the main pool and let them grow in there. Should I be concerned about the size difference among tadpoles though? Like, these are tiny compared to some of the larger tadpoles in the main pool. Sorry for a rant, but it's been awhile since I've asked about this situation :P. I'll also include some froglet photos soon too, they're getting all green and cute before they go gray. For starters though, there's this little guy/girl who's yet to finish absorbing their tail.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Questions about raising froglets (and side question)

Hello Abraham! Wow, you kept pool closed for the frogs, admirable. If Grey's, all their needs are listed here: Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding . IRT the larger ones eating the smallers; have not raised Grey's; but in general tads will eat anything that fits their mouth. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Gentlemangorath

Default Re: Questions about raising froglets (and side question)

Yeah, I've read that caresheet at least 10 times now while going through the tadpole process, so I've looked at that (it's where I got my list of things I'll need :P). I was just hoping that if someone had any advice that wasn't mentioned there, they might share it here (such as perhaps, when it's time to move the little guys into their terrarium). As for the tadpoles, they aren't so small that the large ones could just eat them, but they are almost half the size of the big ones in the main pool. I know that the little guys will still grow, albeit at a slower rate, but I'd like to see most of those guys out by the end of August. Worst comes to worst, I could always move them into the main pool after the larger tads have finished developing, no?

Thread Information