Thread: Some questions about pacman behavior

CHUBBY

Default Some questions about pacman behavior

I've collected about 50 pacman frogs of various species in the last couple of months. After observing them for quite some time, I'm curious about some of their behavior. I'm sure its normal but I'd just like to know WHY they do it. Hopefully one of you can chime in.

1) Why do some of them hold in their urine and appear bloated? This I notice when they come out of their water bowls. Some of them deflate, while others keep their fluids in (sometimes for days). When I pop open some of the racks, some start deflating and pissing right away (probably because their like "Who's that giant?")

2) I can't sleep at night anymore because of the croaking. I've become an insomniac. One starts and the others join shortly after and it goes on for 2-5 minute intervals. Why do they croak? I thought this was for mating purposes only, but it's not mating season and some are babies. It's funny to hear the bigger ones croak, and then the little babies start yelping too shortly after xD (No this isn't from them scratching the bottom of their bins)

3) One of my Ornate's gets excited when I pop open his bin @ feeding time. He brings up his legs and "twitches" his "toes" when I show him the worm and he sometimes brings them up behind his back. It's really weird, I wish I had a video. It's like a scene out of "The Exorcist". At first I thought he was malnourished when I purchased him, or he suffered from something neurological, or he had a calcium/vitamin deficiency. Because of this behavior, I've separated him from the rest of the group. Oddly enough, he's my most active Ornate, eats like a champ, and appears normal when I'm not feeding him. Should I be worried about this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1. Urinating is a defense mechanism. If they are out of urine, they can't defend themselves.

2. The calling you hear are males. They call for different reasons, mostly for mating purposes.

3. Ornates have some of the best feeding responces out of all pacman frogs. The feet moving is them trying to attract the prey closer to them. These are just some things I have picked up from these forums. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Some questions about pacman behavior

Danfrogs got you covered. What the ornata is doing is called toe wiggling it is used to attract other frogs. When another frog comes up to check out the little "worms" wiggling out of the soil they get turned into lunch its actually not a very common behavior to witness in captivity. He probably hears all the other frogs and wants a snack

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Would love to see a video of it. There is only one floating around youtube. Its an albino cranwelli flaggin down a fish.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Dan has you covered for sure.

As for the calling you are hearing are responce calls. Males will respond to other males. These are territorial calls.

Darwin1991

about the cracking, i also want to know why my pacman cracking everytime i'm watching TV

Thread Information