Thread: Honey Baths?

Default Honey Baths?

I have been reading posts, and many people are talking about honey baths. What are they? what do they do? and can i see some pictures of them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Honey Baths?

Well, a picture of a honey bath would just look like a frog sitting in a tub with water up to its chin lol.

They're mainly used to treat impaction, which is a pretty common health issue in pacs. Basically, you have luke-warm treated water up to the frog's chin, with 4-6 drops of honey. Let the frog sit in it for about 10 minutes, and they'll usually poo.

It works like a charm! I do a bath at the end of the week if I don't find any presents during the week. Seems to me that my Mojo doesn't like to soil his enclosure. He has only pooped during his baths.

what is luke warm? where can i get it? do i use real honey?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    what is luke warm? where can i get it? do i use real honey?
    Luke warm is a temperature. It's like, barely warm to the touch. Hotter than that and you risk it being too hot for the frog. You use whatever type of water you use for soaking and expanding substrate. Just as long as it's treated.
    Yes, you use real honey.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

About 78 degrees F. Like DV said, if it is too hot you could hurt the frog. And always make sure the water is de-chlorinated.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Well, a picture of a honey bath would just look like a frog sitting in a tub with water up to its chin lol.

They're mainly used to treat impaction, which is a pretty common health issue in pacs. Basically, you have luke-warm treated water up to the frog's chin, with 4-6 drops of honey. Let the frog sit in it for about 10 minutes, and they'll usually poo.
    That's pretty interesting....Which brings up several questions:
    1. "4 - 6 drops of honey" in how much water?....It would seem there isn't a critical concentration 2. Since honey is mostly fructose, does any sugar work? 3. What is the mechanism that makes this work (the frog defecate). 4. And for the Jeopardy question of the year....."Who was the person who figured out putting a constipated frog in an aqueous solution of sugar will cure the problem."......... Thanks Lloyd

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by never quit View Post
    That's pretty interesting....Which brings up several questions:
    1. "4 - 6 drops of honey" in how much water?....It would seem there isn't a critical concentration 2. Since honey is mostly fructose, does any sugar work? 3. What is the mechanism that makes this work (the frog defecate). 4. And for the Jeopardy question of the year....."Who was the person who figured out putting a constipated frog in an aqueous solution of sugar will cure the problem."......... Thanks Lloyd
    Okay
    1) The 4-6 drops of honey is in a typical sandwich container. It isn't an exact science. A bit more or less will not hurt anything, and you can play with the concentration depending on how effective it is. Basically, as long as you're measuring it in drops of honey in a container of water you should be safe. You never want to get to a point that you're doing a fifth honey and four fifths water.
    2) I guess technically any sugar would work, but the honey seems to work better as it does have enzymes in it that promote healing (an old remedy to keep scratches from swelling and getting infected is to coat them in honey). So the honey has other beneficial qualities. In fact, it prevents swelling to an extent that honey soaks are also recommended for frogs with minor intestinal prolapses.
    3) The frog's skin acts like one big semi-permeable membrane. The solute concentration of the honey affects the water content of the frog's body. This affects the bowels.
    4) I imagine someone with an understanding of osmotic potential figured it out. It's actually a principal that has been used in human medicine for a long time.

10. 2 members thank DVirginiana for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Okay
    1) The 4-6 drops of honey is in a typical sandwich container. It isn't an exact science. A bit more or less will not hurt anything, and you can play with the concentration depending on how effective it is. Basically, as long as you're measuring it in drops of honey in a container of water you should be safe. You never want to get to a point that you're doing a fifth honey and four fifths water.
    2) I guess technically any sugar would work, but the honey seems to work better as it does have enzymes in it that promote healing (an old remedy to keep scratches from swelling and getting infected is to coat them in honey). So the honey has other beneficial qualities. In fact, it prevents swelling to an extent that honey soaks are also recommended for frogs with minor intestinal prolapses.
    3) The frog's skin acts like one big semi-permeable membrane. The solute concentration of the honey affects the water content of the frog's body. This affects the bowels.
    4) I imagine someone with an understanding of osmotic potential figured it out. It's actually a principal that has been used in human medicine for a long time.
    Thanks, I was thinking something like that along those lines that osmosis played a part, and you know much more about this than I do. I'll soak my frogs tomorrow, but it'll be in a quart size container...And based on what you said, there's a lot of "forgiveness" with the concentration of honey....so I'll add like a teaspoon or so?.....I would think a drop of honey would be pretty big, just because of the surface tension.

Thanks
    Lloyd

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by never quit View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking something like that along those lines that osmosis played a part, and you know much more about this than I do. I'll soak my frogs tomorrow, but it'll be in a quart size container...And based on what you said, there's a lot of "forgiveness" with the concentration of honey....so I'll add like a teaspoon or so?.....I would think a drop of honey would be pretty big, just because of the surface tension.

Thanks
    Lloyd
    A teaspoon would be several drops just so you know and yes honey somewhat gelatinous or syrupy so a drop of honey would be greater in size than a drop of water.

I say one drop per 4 ounces of water. Now if you are treating a prolapsed intestine you would use 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar to 6 tablespoons of water to dehydrate the prolapse and reduce the swelling so it can be placed back inside the frog if it does not return on it's own.

13. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

What's a prolapsed intestine?

Nationality
    [Canada]

it is when intestine is getting out of cloaca, visually you see something red and weird sticking out of a butt. if you see that you gotta react very fast.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Ah ok sounds bad.

Thread Information