Thread: New Enclosure with Cloudy Water

maxQ

Default New Enclosure with Cloudy Water

I am in the process of setting up a 20 Gallon Long that will eventually house 2 young Albino Claw Frogs, my water is cloudy and wont clear all the way (pic enclosed) Its not terrable but it is cloudy, my guess is its because the filter is churning up the sand on the bottom but I am not positive. Im leary to put my Albino Claw Frogs in untill its perfect. My Chemestry levels are posted below, Im not sure how to get them where they are supposed to be.

Thought, Hints and tips are appreciated.

Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)? 20 Gallon Long filled all to 2 Inch's from the top.

No inhabitants yet but am planning on placing 2 Albino Claw Frogs in it.

Water source and any conditioner treatments? Filtered Tap Water and so far I have used the prescribed dose of API Tap Water Conditoner and Nutrafin Clear fast.

Water Temperature is 77.0 Degrees, unheated.

Water chemistry levels: pH; 7.5
    Ammonia (NH3); 1.0
    Nitrites (NO2); 0
    Nitrates (NO3); 0

Filter system is a Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 Power Filter, Model CA10 (for up to 20 Gal) Black in Color.

Substrate type; Filpro Silica Superior very fine Quartz Filtration Media (Beige in color).

I have 3 live plants ( I dont know the species) that were rinsed in fresh water prior to placement and Aquarium Stone that has been rinsed prior to placement into the tank.

No CA, vitamins, and any other additives used yet.

Im using a Glass top with hood and Flourescent Light which has been on for 2 days.

No Salt has been added to the water.

The tank is kept in a low to medium traffic area.

Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.). This is the initial set up ( first water Fill)

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  41.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Enclosure with Cloudy Water

Hello Gary! Your tank is a new set-up and it's not cycled. The cloudiness is probably some quartz dust that came with the sand. Hum... not sure if quartz sand is safe in frogs tanks; being that quartz is cristalline and could be made of sharp particles.

If safe, would not worry about cloudiness. Eventually filter will pick it up and should be gone in couple weeks as tank cycles itself. Quartz has no nutrients so you will need to fertilize the plants. Seachem has a nice line of plant products; but there are others. To help cycling tank can add a product like Seachem Stability; it will shorten cycling in half so will take around 2 weeks instead of normal 4. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

maxQ

I will not be happy if the Quartz is not safe, i was going for sand and the manager at my local reptile store which i have trusted and been going to for years recommended the Quartz.

Thanks for you help and fast rely !

Using Tapatalk

maxQ

is the temp ok? With no heat source, with the light on the temp will climb from 71 to 77 degrees.

Using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by maxQ View Post
    is the temp ok? With no heat source, with the light on the temp will climb from 71 to 77 degrees.
    Should be OK. Have not kept Clawed Frogs; but here is a care sheet: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...are-sheet.html . Lots of information on this site too: In Depth Information on Common Aquatic Clawed Frogs .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

You can be the judge if the substrate is jagged or not. Run your hands through it and see how it feels.. Softer is better.

The cloudy water could be the substrate but that should clear in 24 hours. I see you have ammonia in the tank, are you fishless cycling? Could very well be a bacterial bloom.

77F is too warm for the frogs long term. I'd shoot for 68 to 72. My tank is usually 72ish in the summer and 68ish in the winter.

maxQ

I am fish less, there is a small amount of ammonia but where is that coming from with no fish? Should i put some fish in to help cycle?

I know my temp is too high, i don't know how to drop it, i have no heat or lights on now at its holding at 77 degrees and i have my AC on in my house. The Substrate feels very fine and soft like sand .****One of my big concerns is lighting, these are not common Clawed Frogs there are Albino's, I cant find much information on Albino's, will light be a factor for them, meaning will fluorescent hurt them.

Using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by maxQ View Post
    I am fish less, there is a small amount of ammonia but where is that coming from with no fish? Should i put some fish in to help cycle?

I know my temp is too high, i don't know how to drop it, i have no heat or lights on now at its holding at 77 degrees and i have my AC on in my house. The Substrate feels very fine and soft like sand .****One of my big concerns is lighting, these are not common Clawed Frogs there are Albino's, I cant find much information on Albino's, will light be a factor for them, meaning will fluorescent hurt them.

Using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure where the ammonia is coming from honestly. My best guess is something in the tank has to be decaying or your tap has some ammonia, possibly dead plant material with your live plants?

Either way the presence of ammonia is not a bad thing, you need it to start the cycle anyways. You could add fish flakes to start the cycling process.

WetWebMedia has some good articles about cycling an aquarium:
    Establishing Biological Cycling in Freshwater Systems

Yeah, you could get a small fish and place it in there to cycle your aquarium as well. It's just this can be seen as kind of cruel, the fish will most likely suffer ill effects.. I can't say I have not cycled tanks with fish - i have - but now that I know more about proper aquarium keeping I think I would go with a fishless cycle. Another option is to 'jump start' the tank by using some of the filter media from an established tank, this actually works quite well and I've cycled tanks like this in the past for myself and friends.

As far as the lighting? Don't worry about the frogs being albino. I have an albino and two pigmented frogs and I use a pretty darn high powered LED fixture and I've never had any problems. The only precaution I take with lighting is rather than let the LED directly shine on the frogs I use a matte material from home depot under my lights to diffuse the light so it does not hurt their eyes when they bask.

maxQ

Awesome stuff ! Thank you so much.

Using Tapatalk

maxQ

My water in my new tank has cleared beautifully over night.

I am still concerned about the water temp as it is holding right around 77 degrees, I'm not sure how to bring it down. I plan to go forward with my plans to pick up my Albino Claw Frogs this morning anyway and i will continue to try to get my water temps down.

Using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

May want to hold off until the tank is cycled with zero ammonia or nitrite.

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Hmmmm, ok thanks

Using Tapatalk

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    How will i know that the tank cycled?

Using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

When your water reads zero ammonia and nitrite and you get readings of nitrates. Could take a few weeks. You could add the frogs and do a lot of water changes but ammonia and nitrite are toxic and it can hurt the frogs.

Plants can help a little. Pick up some used media from an established healthy tank and it should cycle in a day or so.

maxQ

Thank you sir, i put a few small minnows in the tank this morning also

Using Tapatalk

maxQ

Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to update you all since I got alot of great feedback and help on this. My Albino Claw Frogs are doing great. My water Chemestry is almost near perfect, the clarity is goregous until my guys decide to churn the sand up from playing. My water temp is still higher than Id like (Fluctuates between 74.0 Dgrees and 75.5 Dgrees but at least its down from 77.5 Degrees but Im still working that. My guys seem to be happy, they wont eat crickets that I feed them, in fact they turn thier nose up at them but they LOVE Red Wigglers and little Minnows that I throw in for them. They are very active (rarley sit still) and your right they tear up a tank. I havent named them since I cant tell them apart. LOL Here some pictures.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  79.4 KBName:  2.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  77.3 KBName:  3.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  67.4 KB

Thread Information