Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusting/feces question about my pac.

NialR35

Default Dusting/feces question about my pac.

Hello guys,

Is it normal for my baby not to move at all in over a day? I just got him recently and I was just wondering. He has been in the same position for about a day and a half.

1) Dusting: Should I dust Cax3 per week or twice? I've seen different members saying twice and others three times per week so I was wondering what is best for a baby. ( I know the multivit is once per week) How do you guys normally go about this and on which days?

2) How often should he go to the bathroom on average? He is eating around 4 crickets on average per day. I know it depends on food intake and such, but just to have a general idea before I attempt honey baths.

3) Does he look healthy to you? Here are some pics. I think he looks a little too fat? lol

Name:  20130708_173748.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  113.0 KB Name:  20130708_173418.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  109.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dusting/feces question about my pac.

Burrowing is completely normal for these guys.

Heres mine in it's normal state.
    Name:  IMG_0732.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  126.5 KB

Buried just so he can see out. LOL

They are ambush predators ( meaning that they hide and let the food come to them.)
    Here is a good care sheet.

He looks very healthy his colors are nice and bright.
    As far as #2 goes he might hide it from you or some like to go in their water dish

As far as feeding goes I would broaden his menu a bit.
    Night crawler pices , dubia nymphs no bigger than the space in between his eyes.
    Dusting in addition to gut loading the feeders (crickets and dubia ) are simple
    I would gut load 100% of the time. and dust multivitamin every other day and calcium with D3 once a week by it self no multivite.
    and when it gets above 2 inches SNV start giving pinky mice once a month. until adult hood and then rat pinkies every 2 months or so.
    But night crawlers as a staple with dubia.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    Burrowing is completely normal for these guys.

Heres mine in it's normal state.
    Name:  IMG_0732.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  126.5 KB

Buried just so he can see out. LOL

They are ambush predators ( meaning that they hide and let the food come to them.)
    Here is a good care sheet.

He looks very healthy his colors are nice and bright.
    As far as #2 goes he might hide it from you or some like to go in their water dish

As far as feeding goes I would broaden his menu a bit.
    Night crawler pices , dubia nymphs no bigger than the space in between his eyes.
    Dusting in addition to gut loading the feeders (crickets and dubia ) are simple
    I would gut load 100% of the time. and dust multivitamin every other day and calcium with D3 once a week by it self no multivite.
    and when it gets above 2 inches SNV start giving pinky mice once a month. until adult hood and then rat pinkies every 2 months or so.
    But night crawlers as a staple with dubia.
    You have the supplement dosing backwards Lou. Its calcium D3 every other feeding and multivitamins once a week.

I calcium dust on Mondays and Wednesdays with nightcrawlers. Then on Fridays I use vitamin powder with crickets. I feed Mojo everytime he wants to eat so i dont gut load the crickets. Worms melt with vitamin powder. He will pop his head out of his hole when he is hungry. Other than his nightly roam around his enclosure, he stays hidden under a leaf with just the top of his head showing.

This is how Mojo tells me he is hungry.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Guess my dyslexia or old age getting the best of me today

Nationality
    [United States]

Not moving is OK, changing burying site is OK, actively trying to get out of enclosure is not OK and usually means stress.

Guess you read different doses because different people try different things. I dose growing babies CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with off day in between. For full grown adults, reduce CA dosage to half.

Ensure frog is not burying it's poop. If sure frog has not poop in over a week would give "honey bath" followed by "rinse bath."

Your frog is not fat. Feed it all the food it will consume in one sitting daily. Crickets should be no bigger than distance between frog's eyes. Also, get night crawlers at Walmart's sport section and alternate feeding them to frog. If too big can cut pieces from pointy end and they will heal. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

my normal regimen for my little Pep.

My wife will feed 5 to 6 large crickets a night when the lights go out. (when I am not home)
    If I am home I will feed 1 large night crawler and any crickets or dubia nymphs he wants.
    I Gut load my crickets with flukers calcium cricket feed. and carrots when I am home.
    The Dubia gets a mix of cherios dried shrimp pellets as a staple and fresh citrus when I am home.

I dust the crickets and dubia twice a week with calcium WD3 and once a week multivitamin.
    On sundays that I am home I spot clean his home and mean while let him soak in treated 80F water that has a towel over it
    to help keep him calm.
    9 times out of 10 he leaves a big present for me in his bath. No honey.

I am still not convinced yet that it is a male. No nuptial pads and no croaking.
    and no noises when I handle it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

what happened to nightcrawlers in a fridge, did your wife get to them? lol

Carlos - for us it is a routine with my big girly, when I clean her tank. I'm trying to put everything exactly the way it was before even do her favorite hole for her and leaf exactly the angle it used to be, she always hates it, and go crazy for a few hours and very much actively trying to get out and get all over the walls so i need to clean it again. After she is done she goes back to her place, then you have to feed her or she goes crazy again. For her it is normal
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just goes to prove these frogs are individuals and have quirks and personalities unique to them.

NialR35

So I'm here at Walmart and all I found was this container saying BIG RED WORMS-30 eisenia hortensis- DMF brand. Are these things nightcrawlers? Or nasty red words that are bad for pacs?

I saw the package online saying nightcrawlers but these say something else. Not sure if its the right thing! I'm sick of crickets lol let me know.

I can't upload a pic

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

All I know is that Red wrigglers are no good for my whites.
    And I will bet the packs will not like them either.
    When one of my whites bit into a red wriggler it opened it mouth as wide as it could and taking both front legs pulled the worm out while backing up a good foot as to say YUCK!!!!!!

I get mine from a local pet shop and they say canadian night crawlers.
    when completely relaxed or stretched out they can be up to 9 inches long but very thin.
    and when they are contracted they are less than 4 inches and 1/4 in diameter.

They come in a green styrofoam box.
    I keep mine in the fridge and when it is time to feed I rinse it off in filtered water and hold in my hand for a few minutes to warm it up.
    I hand feed my little one. ( only do this with the worm as my fingers would be dangerously close to that big mouth.) I dangle the worm in front of Peps face and snap it get the first inch or so and I put Pep into the plastic bin and let it chomp away.

I would order some dubia roaches and start a colony asap.

SCF

The reason why your whites spit them out is due to their defensive secretion, this is to discourage predators from eating them. NialR35, buy "Canadian earth worms, non scented."

Edit: this was in response to Louis.

Don't get the big red worms! Those are the same ones I got at first... get the ones that say nightcrawlers. Mojo ate a few of those red worms then got slimed. Then he would just headbutt them away.

NialR35

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'm glad I did not buy them hahaha; something told me they weren't the right oens.

I will go to a local bait shop tomorrow and look for canadian night crawlers, grab a pair of scissors and go Edward Scissor-hands on them worms.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I'm glad I did not buy them hahaha; something told me they weren't the right oens.

I will go to a local bait shop tomorrow and look for canadian night crawlers, grab a pair of scissors and go Edward Scissor-hands on them worms.
    Name:  AnnelidAnatomy.png
Views: 666
Size:  148.6 KB

Only cut from the anus side of the worm and it will heal and live for you to feed more later.

NialR35

Wow great pic Louis!

By the way I heard I need to change the bedding for night crawlers...how often do I have to do that and what do I use for bedding? Thanks.

SCF

I've always kept them in the cup I bought them in without incident, unless you are planning on breeding them. Earthworms are a bit easier when it comes to feeding, Dubia however will keep you in constant supply of a staple feeder once a colony is established, which in the long run will save you money. I always feel better feeding my animals with feeders that I know exactly how they are kept and what they are fed. Farm raised earthworms, well who really knows what they are being fed. I'm sure it's not fresh vegetables/fruits.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

To be totally honest I have no idea, they come 12 to a box and they last about 2 weeks.
    Since I feed a whole one a day.

if you keep them in the fridge they will be some what dormant and won't eat much.
    I keep mine in the door at the highest level so that is the warmest place in the fridge.
    I have noticed that the "earth" gets dry so I just add a teaspoon of filtered water room temp
    to the earth in the box.

and I haven't had had any die.

And if your family is totally against you putting worms in the fridge then a small dorm room fridge will do nicely. Just set it to no colder than 39-42F or you might have worm sickles LOL

Remember don't cut the worms till your ready to feed. The cut piece away from the head dies and you will have a stinkfest if you cut them now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information