Unhappy First time frog owner ~ need help

Name:  130621_0029.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  104.1 KBName:  130621_0028.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  95.7 KBName:  130621_0034.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  80.3 KB
    My boyfriend brought me home a little surprise about a month ago, i honestly was expecting a bracelet, but instead it was a fire bellied toad. LOL. anywho, Kiwi is cute. I have him in a 10 gallon tank, screened lid, with a regular light bulb in a lamp on top. At first i used rocks and water, but he didn't seem to like it; it got changed to all soil with a bowl of water, but i couldn't keep the humidity up, and it didn't seem to have enough water. so as of right now, there are about 2 inches of water in the bottom with a giant tree stump decoration along with two other hiding things he can get out of the water on. humidity ~ 70-80 right now but it drops sometimes, i mist his tank a few times a day. the temperature is room temp, which currently is 73 degrees F. i use API Tap water conditioner, it says it removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. Ive been feeding him crickets, i have been gutloading them with Flukers Calcium with vitamin D once a week.

Okay, with all that being said. Mister or Miss Kiwi isn't doing good. About five days ago he stopped hopping around, very lethargic. he hasn't eaten but a couple of crickets, which when i first got him he ate about 6 a day. he doesn't want in the water atall, instead he prefers to just sit in a tunnel in the tree trunk. he is still bright green, normal size and not bloated, but his eyes aren't clear anymore. isntead they are "watery", im not sure how to describe the way this looks. its like its brown gunk around his eyes. not in or on his eyes, but in between them. everything else is clear. hes the only one in the tank, all by himself. no other critters in there either. I can tell something is obviously wrong, but i havent been able to find anything on google that suggests what it might be, and the closest vet that sees amphibians and reptiles is A good 2 hours away. I am currently 33 weeks prego, and driving tht long of a trip isn't exactly doable, i would send my boyfriend, but he works from 5 am to 6 pm, except on weekends. so he doesnt have time. If anyone could please help me figure out what to do here, that would be amazing!

The first two pictures are of his tank, the third is of him just a week ago, he was perfectly fine. and i put 2 pictures of him now in a reply below.

Last edited by Faithhiee; July 9th, 2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: adding pictures

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First time frog owner ~ need help

Hello and welcome to FF Faith! First thing would be to read this good care article and see if something is missing from frog care/enclosure: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives . If you can't find a cause; then please answer these questions and we will go from there. Do please include a pic of enclosure and one of frog showing the problem you mention near eyes. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Faithhiee

Im not seeing something that describes his condition on that page, but that was very helpful.. Thank you!
    1. Ten Gallon tank
    2. 1. Just mister Kiwi
    3. 73 percent
    4. 74 degreed F Now
    5. treated tap water
    6. Im no longer using substrate, just big rocks and decor for climbing out of water
    7. wood and clay decor, all were brand new when i put them in there. I didn't clean them (should I?)
    8. Gut loaded crickets
    9. once a week - flukers calcium with vit. D3.
    10. a regular flourescent bulb on top of tank
    11. the light heats it but it stays at about room temp, which is 68-74 where i live
    12. two days ago i saw him eat 2 crickets
    13. No
    15. not sure, hes from petco
    16. one month
    17. considering its from petco, probably wild caught. but im not 100 percent sure
    18. i have only fed him crickets. i tried mealworms with no luck 3 weeks ago. he didn't want them
    19. ive never handled him, i just scoop him in the box he came in to clean his tank
    20. its in our living room, so probably high traffic. but its just me and my boyfriend here. and we don't have many visiters. so, its not really "High Traffic"
    21. ive been cleaning it once a week, rinsing the decor and doing 100 percent water changes.

Faithhiee

Name:  130709_0008.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  78.6 KBName:  130709_0001.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  63.9 KB
    I had to take out the tree trunk decor to get a picture, i got him to move to this peice of decor. hes just sitting there again, but that eye thing is what im talking about.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think it might be some kind of infection.
    Where in NC are you. IF you are close to Raleigh I would suggest taking him to Avian and Exotic Animal Care
    or at least sending this picture to them on their face book page.
    They are really good I trust them completely.

I would move him to a small hospital tank with moist paper towels (treated water) and cover 3 of the sides and place in a quiet area until you hear more form the vet.

Good luck.

8. This member thanks Louis Charles Bruckner for this post:

Faithhiee

Im in winston Salem. Its about an hour from charlotte, and i believe raleigh is 2 hours from here.
    okay, i will check them out. Hopefully they can offer some advice. Thank you.

Thread Information