Thread: High temperatures in ACF tank

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default High temperatures in ACF tank

Someone posted a similar thread last week, but about dwarf frogs. I'm not sure if it's the same for ACF. What is the highest temperature that they can tolerate? I've just been away for a couple of days and returned to find that all of my ACF tanks are at 30 to 32 degrees C (86+ F, I think). I'm trying to gradually lower the temperature with colder water. Should I be doing this gradually? I don't want to shock them with such a sudden change in temperature, but I don't want the high temperatures to affect their health either. I'm aiming to lower the temperature by about 4 or 5 degrees tonight and I'll aim for the same tomorrow. It's been unusually hot this week but I live in England so I'm expecting this to be a very short-term problem.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: High temperatures in ACF tank

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
    Someone posted a similar thread last week, but about dwarf frogs. I'm not sure if it's the same for ACF. What is the highest temperature that they can tolerate? I've just been away for a couple of days and returned to find that all of my ACF tanks are at 30 to 32 degrees C (86+ F, I think). I'm trying to gradually lower the temperature with colder water. Should I be doing this gradually? I don't want to shock them with such a sudden change in temperature, but I don't want the high temperatures to affect their health either. I'm aiming to lower the temperature by about 4 or 5 degrees tonight and I'll aim for the same tomorrow. It's been unusually hot this week but I live in England so I'm expecting this to be a very short-term problem.
    If it's short term it shouldn't be a problem but 86F is pretty hot for ACF. I would go with a gradual cool down, adding cooler water to the tank via partial water changes.. a wild swing could cause problems.

You could get a large plastic ziplock bag and freeze it and add it to the water. I've done that in the summer here to keep the water around 72F in the summer and not had any problems.

I would say if you can get the water down to 75F you should be fine, that is upper end tolerable for ACF.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: High temperatures in ACF tank

Thanks, Michael. I've got the temperature down to about 25C (77F) in all the tanks tonight. I'll lower it some more tomorrow and get some plastic bags so I can maintain the temperature with ice if the hot weather carries on.

Thread Information