Thread: Does My Frog Need A Companion?

Default Does My Frog Need A Companion?

Hello everyone!

I'm in a bit of a fix at the moment. I used to have two Green and Golden Bell Frogs (litoria aurea), but then one died. Since then, the surviving frog has been alone. "Frog season" so to speak has ended because it's winter, and I'm wondering whether I should wait until spring to buy a companion for Froakie, or buy several off Trade-Me (kind of like e-Bay)
    Frogs | Trade Me

Froakie morphed from tadpole to froglet around Easter this year, so he's still pretty small (about 2cm body length). This species of frog can be cannibalistic, so I'm worried that if I wait until spring, the size difference between Froakie and companion may cause an unplanned meal D:

Advice/ opinions please?
    Name:  969322_564438893599019_1281794958_n.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  65.1 KBName:  969694_556614057714836_632659518_n.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  64.5 KB

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Does My Frog Need A Companion?

I find that most of my frogs are communal and like having a mate or two around. It's really up to your discretion, as they can be perfectly fine alone as well. Definitely be weary of size differences because they can eat one another. You'll probably need to find an adult if you want your frog to have a friend. Moreover, if you do find an adult...be sure to keep them separate for a bit just to make sure one isn't sick and then infects the other.

Thanks for the advice Lindsay have now got six ( :O ) friends for Froakie... will probably have to give a few to new homes though. I have them separated in a different terrarium to Froakie, do you know what the recommended quarantine period is?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKiwiOca View Post
    Thanks for the advice Lindsay have now got six ( :O ) friends for Froakie... will probably have to give a few to new homes though. I have them separated in a different terrarium to Froakie, do you know what the recommended quarantine period is?
    Usually around 20-30 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKiwiOca View Post
    ...have now got six ( :O ) friends for Froakie... will probably have to give a few to new homes though. I have them separated in a different terrarium to Froakie, do you know what the recommended quarantine period is?
    Six, wow and I can't find even one, must be imported seasonally . If they where housed together can quarantine all six in same enclosure. 30 days is the minimun although some do twice that. Also, two clear fecals 15 days apart will ensure frogs have no intestinal parasites. Careful with any size differences, from what I read L. aurea are highly predatory to their own. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Haha these ones were a pain to get! They're out of season here, so we were lucky to get them.. Along with a really nice terrarium.. Owner was pretty keen to get them out of her house >.<

I'll keep an eye out for poop discrepancies, and keep them quarantined... 30 days sounds like a very long time haha

Thanks for the help

Thread Information