Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding

Katie779

Question Feeding

Tonight my new albino pac ate from tongs for the very first time, and his very first night crawler!
    Now for my question: Exactly how much should I be feeding? I've had him for 3 days so far, the first night he wasn't interested in eating, the second he ate one dubia roach, and tonight he ate one dubia roach and one piece of a night crawler. I'm still a little confused on how much to offer. As much as he'll eat in 15 minutes? It usually takes me a few minutes to coax him into eating one thing. Also, what size food should I be offering? I've read a few different things. No bigger than the space between the eyes, no bigger than his mouth, and no longer than his body. I've been feeding things he can easily fit into his mouth, but I hope I'm not feeding things too big.

Thanks!

Sidenote: He doesn't bury himself or dig a hole, is this strange?

Here's a picture because everyone loves pictures!
    Name:  1064680_10151937833396747_1085541439_o.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  53.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding

yay! he is eating from tongs!

size of food for babies should be approximate distance between his eyes, adults can go with the whole nightcrawler. glad he is eating and eating from tongs too, meaning lucky you, your frog is gonna be one big and happy one

yes go using 15 min/everyday rule, but of course use common sense if after 15 min you clearly see that is he is still starving give one more piece

and yes yes yes, we LOVE pics, the more the better!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Katie779

I think I spoke too soon. My Meatball hasn't eaten now for two nights so I'm a little worried. I'm not sure why he ate right away but is now refusing.
    I hope I didn't feed him too big of a roach his first night because he also hasn't pooped yet. Is there anything I can do?
    I also feel like I'm stressing him out whenever I go to feed him because he's always in an awkward spot I cant reach to feed so I always have to move him, which he hates.
    I did give him a 15-20 minute soak yesterday which I'm not sure helped or made things worse.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If nothing else the soak gave the little one some hydration that will help with digestion and passing wastes.

Sometimes my little one will go a day or so with out eating but then is ravenous.
    What is the size of your frog. if it is less than 2in STV then I wouldn't feed larger than a 1/2in dubia nymph.
    or pice of night crawler.

Katie779

He's a little over 2in and still looks fairly plump.
    I had a little more luck last night. After trying for 15 minutes to get him to eat either a dubia or a piece of night crawler I took him out of his enclosure and put him in a deli cup with the roach, and he finally took it in there (but he wouldn't eat more than one). Can I put him in a deli cup every night and feed him that way or is it too stressful?

Also about heat, I'm worried he's not getting warm enough and it's affecting his appetite. Under his lamp it's always between 80-82 but he's usually on the other side of the enclosure where it's around 75 and he doesn't move from there. Is this alright?

I can't anwser about the cup. But do you have some hiding places on the warm side? If not try doing that so he will feel more secure on the warmer side. When I first got my frog he stayed on the cooler side till his stress let up a little bit.

Katie779

He actually has more hiding spots on the hot side than the cool side because I wanted him to spend his time there. Should I just move him there?

Naw. If you did he would probably jump back to where he was. But Im far from an expert. I can only give you answers based on what my frog has done.

NialR35

From what I've gathered, it's actually good to have a "hot" and "cold" side in the tank. It's inevitable especially if your tank is using a heat lamp or UTH that is only heating one side of the enclosure. The frog will burrow himself when feeling hot, and will go to the hot side when he has to need for some heat.

About feeding in a Deli cup, I would not do that. I've asked that before and many knowledgeable members have told me that it causes unnecessary stress and it'd better to feed your baby in the tank. Since you are able to tong feed, there really is no reason to remove him from his tank. You could try feeding on the water bowl to reduce the amount of substrate ingested, but it's not necessary if you are angling the tongs right.

I would stick to night crawlers for now, you don't have to gut load and are very nutritious and easy to digest as well. By the way, how big is your tank?

Katie779

I only tong fed once and for the past 3 night I've been having trouble tong feeding and regular feeding in the tank.
    Tonight he ate another roach, and more quickly, but instead I had two roaches already in the deli cup, I put the cup into the enclosure, put him in, and then covered it with a towel and he ate one roach right away (when he wouldn't touch it or the night crawler in his tank). I feel like no matter what I'm going to be moving him because he's always facing the wall or he's inside a hide, so to feed I have to get him out regardless.

My tank is 10 gallons and has 4 hiding areas.

Here's a couple pictures. Sorry for the low quality.
    Name:  IMG_0574.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  107.4 KBName:  IMG_0588.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  72.8 KBName:  IMG_0585.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  59.8 KB

Does he look healthy to you?
    Thanks for the help!!

NialR35

Yea, I think he looks great. About the same size as mine

Nationality
    [Canada]

he looks adorable!, but it seems he has a big poop coming i would do a warm bath with a few drops of honey for him tonight.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Katie779

Ok, will do! I gave him a regular bath two days ago with no luck, just out of curiosity, what about the honey helps?

Oh, and raw honey or honey bear honey? lol

Edit: And do you think it would be ok to continue the cup feeding if it seems like it's working better, or is that just fostering a bad habit?

Nationality
    [Canada]

i prefer raw honey for everything and that is the only kind we use it has loads of micro elements and some vitamins and bioactive substances that just force them to go gently as well as increase overall energy and appetite. sugars in honey reduce swelling of cloaca and intestines that is why such baths are use to treat constipation and prolapse. yours doesn't seem constipated, he just needs to go lol keep him in there for 20 min and after just do a regular water bath, both baths have to be warm.

Katie779

Ok, thank you for your help!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

you're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie779 View Post
    Edit: And do you think it would be ok to continue the cup feeding if it seems like it's working better, or is that just fostering a bad habit?
    all frogs have unique personalities, and yes it is more natural and less stressful for them to eat in their own cage, but if he eats better on his own in a separate enclosure that is fine too. as long as he eats!
    however it is very unnatural for them to eat this way, i guess i would think of why it is happening, is your tank too big for him to see roaming food? are roaches are just too fast for him to catch, is he just plan lazy like one of mine lol

Katie779

The roaches run off and hide right away, and he doesn't like when I put my hand in to push them back his way. lol The cup makes it so they have no where to hide.
    He's only actually chased down a roach once, and that was his very first meal. Since then he doesn't seem to want to move (and the roaches are kind of slow on the eco-earth lol).

Nationality
    [Canada]

if i were you I'd do a bath tonight and won't feed tonight and tomorrow try tong feeding again, when you try to push roach towards him use tongs, but hot hand, your hand might look too scary for a tiny baby, but he does seem to be a lazy one. lol then he won't have problems with tongs as soon as he gets that this way there no need to move.

Yeah I use my tongs to herd crickets towards Mojo. Different reason though, don't want to get bit. Have you tried maybe injuring one of the roaches before feeding? It'll make the roaches slower, and the extra squirming might trigger a feeding responce.

You said you have a 10 gallon tank right? Might be a tad too big for the little guy. Although he is skating the line. What does everyone else think about the enclosure size?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information