Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Waxie Monkey Tree Frog Identification

Dj Quick

Default Giant Waxie Monkey Tree Frog Identification

Hello,

Today we purchased a Waxie Monkey Tree Frog, and were surprised when we heard it was not just a normal WMTF.. Could anyone verify the type this is? And if it is different, would the care be different as well?

Here are some pictures (excuse the iphone quality):

And this is what he is being kept in currently:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Giant Waxie Monkey Tree Frog Identification

Bicolors And welcome

Nationality
    [Canada]

welcome to the forums! yours is a beautiful female giant waxy monkey frog, Ph. bicolor.
    they need a company of their own and huge vertical tanks, yours is no good for her. you want at least 3'x4' for 2-3 frogs with a very good ventilation and hot spot for a day about 91 and for a night around 80. UVB is a must! at least 5.0. they do need a bit higher humidity then sauvagii, 40-60 % is about correct range, nothing more then 60, i would keep them at about 40-50% meaning just a little spray once a day at night when lights are off. you need to cover 3 sides of your tank with something that is not see through. fish tank background will work perfectly. for my sauvagii during regular season i use 3 lamps ( same for bicolors), one UVB ( goes 12h on/off), day heat lamp 6-8 hours/day in mid of UVB cycle and night heat lamp ( blue or red) for all night as soon as UVB is off.
    make sure you wash your hands very very well before handling for a frog sake and especially after ( really well) for your sake.
    that frog is one of recent imports, she is WC, you gotta do deworming, - ask your vet for meds, or email/phone Dr. Frye , he ships meds to any US address, his contact info in a sticky thread.
    have fun, they are awesome frogs to have.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Dj Quik

ok sorry for the late response, my girlfriend was the one who originally posted this thread, and she forgot her password, plus she messed up my user name so i guess it worked out alright.

anyway, regarding the frog. although this is not what we had intended on getting into, she will not be neglected. the tank pictured is being used for quarantine, so it will not be permanent, however if there is anything i can do to change the current set up i would love to know, i have added a uvb and i will get some better plants and add a background. she has been sitting on the ground since i got her which i'm assuming is not common so it is either due to being stressed from a new home or from the lack of a proper setup. in a month, when she is done with quarantine, i will have a custom built enclosure of the appropriate size and soon after i will be looking for another frog. i love working with not so common reptiles so this frog is very welcome in my collection.

also im not sure if poison has posted this or not but i guess he was jealous of my awesome frog so he went out and copied me and got one as well.
    he likes to follow in my footsteps

Nationality
    [Canada]

hahaha, Poison, would you please post a pic of your beautiful boy and his awesome set up please lol

for your tank if it is temporary i would do following:
    take everything up and place it on a side so it is vertical, then papertowels on a bottom or felt carpet, then different sized branches, some plastic plants, cover 3 sides for her to feel safe. i would attach somehow lamps so they would shine through mesh from a top of the side, but not from the top, as some glass is filtering UVB.

by the way if you want to get her a company you better do it now, i doubt they will be available later, as soon as all imported frogs are sold, they're gone until the next year hopefully, but might be not available next year too.

who else do you have?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Dj Quik

ok i will do that, do you have any pictures of good examples of a set up for these guys?
    i will search online for another but i dont know how much luck i'll have, i found this one at an expo.

the other animals i keep are
    0.1.0 Argentine tegu
    1.3.0 leopard geckos
    1.1.0 woma pythons
    1.1.0 bearded dragon
    0.1.0 colombian boa
    1.0.0 leachanius
    0.0.1 blue tongue skink
    0.0.1 gargoyle
    0.0.1 hognose
    0.0.1 black mexican king snake
    as well as a few species of tarantula, 2 guinea pigs and 5 dogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Quik View Post
    also im not sure if poison has posted this or not but i guess he was jealous of my awesome frog so he went out and copied me and got one as well.
    he likes to follow in my footsteps
    Hey, whos the one who showed you them? You know ive been wanting waxy's for a long time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to FF! Lija has given you good advice. You can convert your tank to a vertical by measuring, cutting, and gluing a piece of clear polycarbonate sheet (Home Depot) to bottom area of opening to help hold substrate in. Then you get a screen window kit (same store) and build a screen to cover the rest of opening. Only thing is, light must now come from front and not through the glass. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Heres my setup. He was is a glass enclosure but considering he is WC, he is not use to glass and he was trying to jump out of the enclosure through the glass. So I swiched out my atb and moved him in her enclosure.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...ps49a89d53.jpg

He was also spending alot of time on the ground yesterday but now that hes in the new enclosure he has yet to even see the ground.

Dj Quik

ya that looks much better than mine, i may end up building one this weekend rather than converting it to save me some trouble.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Quik View Post
    ok i will do that, do you have any pictures of good examples of a set up for these guys?
    i will search online for another but i dont know how much luck i'll have, i found this one at an expo.

the other animals i keep are
    1.3.0 leopard geckos
    1.1.0 woma pythons
    1.1.0 bearded dragon
    0.1.0 colombian boa
    1.0.0 leachanius
    0.0.1 blue tongue skink
    0.0.1 gargoyle
    0.0.1 hognose
    0.0.1 black mexican king snake
    as well as a few species of tarantula, 2 guinea pigs and 5 dogs.
    Tegu?

Dj Quik

oh ya and a tegu, ill add that

Nationality
    [Canada]

hey you have a zoo too!!!!! yay! i need to update my signature, i do have leachie too, a female baby GT, crazy nippy baby of a size of young crestie lol that looks more like a balloon because she eats like a piglet lol woma and hognoses are on my very much want but not gonna happen list

need to take pics of my enclosure, i have sauvagii right now and pics of parts of their home.
    Name:  DSC02991.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  108.3 KBName:  DSC02955.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  102.8 KBName:  DSC02959.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  77.2 KBName:  DSC02157.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  88.8 KBName:  DSC02152.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  66.2 KBName:  DSC03492.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  72.5 KBName:  DSC02951.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  72.2 KB
    edit - oh and I have curly hair tarantula technically not mine, it is my younger daughters first pet, you know normal kids have hamsters for a first pet, she wanted tarantula, but we do have hamsters in a freezer lol

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome find! Im in the process on designing a terrarium for some myself.

Dj Quik

ok so im planning on building the enclosure this weekend, it will be 3 feet long 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide, i've been wanting to make a enclosure like this for a while but im worried that the humidity will be too high because of the live plants mixed with a sealed enclosure, however i dont see it being too much of a problem if i use some sort of dry substrate with leaf litter on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    hey you have a zoo too!!!!! yay! i need to update my signature, i do have leachie too, a female baby GT, crazy nippy baby of a size of young crestie lol that looks more like a balloon because she eats like a piglet lol woma and hognoses are on my very much want but not gonna happen list
    ours is a Gran Terra and nu Ana cross, but he is very nice. he has never showed me any aggression. the womas i just picked up this weekend as well, but i've been wanting some for a while and i cant wait to work with them

Quote Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
    Awesome find! Im in the process on designing a terrarium for some myself.

i'd love to hear plans if you have any, seeing as i've never dealt with an animal like this i feel like a noob

yours is a beautiful female giant waxy monkey frog, Ph. bicolor.
    Curious, what makes you think that it is a female.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by earthtiger View Post
    Curious, what makes you think that it is a female.
    males are smaller, they call, during breeding season develop nuptial pads and most importantly their head shape is different from females.
    to illustrate i use sauvagii, same principle apply:

nuptial pads
    Name:  DSC02846.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  61.0 KB

head shape - note the line going down from nose to the chin, males have more developed chin, while females have less developed one and the line goes straight down

male:
    Name:  DSC02154.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  62.9 KB

female
    Name:  DSC02951.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  72.2 KBName:  DSC03492.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  72.5 KB

see the difference? exactly same applies to bicolors

Hi Lija,

males are smaller,
    Yes I know, but on the posted photos, there is no frog to compare with ore anything with known size to compare with and to tell, how big the specimen is in fact!

they call
    Yes, but not a very useful feature if you want to sex a frog from a photo!

, during breeding season develop nuptial pads
    Yes, but we don’t know if the frog on the photo is in breeding mood and on the posted photos I can’t see the thumbs to see, if there are nuptial pads or not – can you?

and most importantly their head shape is different from females.

[…]

see the difference? exactly same applies to bicolors
    hmmm... that is IMHO a very tentative sign. In some species it does apply very well (e.g. with my Agalychnis annae, it is very obvious), but in others not and there seems to be always exceptions. With Phyllomedusa bicolor I don’t have the experiences with. I have checked some photos of pairs in amplexus and for me it is hard to tell the differences.

Also with Phyllomedusa sauvagii, in some specimens it seems to be very obvious, in others IMO not.

Let’s test it:
    What gender do you think does this specimen have?

Name:  Phyllomedusa sauvagii 2.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  8.9 KB

...and since it is more likely to get a Phyllomedusa bicolor male than a female in the pet trade (much more males than females are imported, because they are easier to collect) I have my doubts resp. I would be more cautious to say, that the specimen above is a female.

Kind regards,
    Martin

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Male ^^^
    What do you mean with that? - That isn't clear for me!
    That the first one in this thread is a male? That the P. sauvagii on my photo is a male? Or is it the headline for your male?

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    so, what clear/obvious differences do you see, when you compare it with the first one in this thread. Could you please list it - thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information