Thread: Multiple Species in Same Setup

DuctTape

Talking Multiple Species in Same Setup

Good Afternoon!

We are looking to get a few frogs. We have narrowed it down to Whites, Monkey legged tree frog, and waxy tree frog. We were wondering it would be possible to house these in the same set up. We also have seen lizards (anoles) that were housed with Whites. Is this recommended? I have not been able to find anything definitive for these three species.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Multiple Species in Same Setup

Welcome to FF! Housing frogs with other amphibians or reptiles together in captivity usually ends bad . Mixing different frog species does not fare any better, due to their different requirements (temp. and humidity among others), toxic body slimes, and cannibalism . There are the rare exceptions among some individuals; but mostly, it's not recommended .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

If you wanna house multiple species together it is best to be sure they will rarely come into contact with each other. For example I am housing my whites tree frogs with my chubby frog. Chubby's never come out of the ground other then at night to feed. This enclosure is 3x2x2 and about 1ft of soil all for the chubby. I would not recomend mixing tree frogs of different species together, they will come into contact with each other. As far as housing anoles with whites, I use to feed anoles to my whites so I would not house them together unless they are for food. But keep in mind most anoles are wc and may carry parasites that can harm your frogs.

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I know it's typically not recommended to house different frogs together, but it depends on where they're found naturally. I'm not overly familiar with most of those tree frogs, but do they naturally occur in the same area? I keep Plains and New Mexico Spadefoots together because they live in the same area and are closely related (both spea). I haven't had any issues what-so-ever, but both require the same set up.

nirotorin

I think the tiger legged might he at risk of being eaten by the white's, and they both could be at risk of exposure to the waxy's skin secretions.

I wouldn't try a mix with those three for sure. That's not to say it wouldn't work out just fine, but it may not be worth finding out.

Thread Information