Thread: What can I feed my baby frog?

Froggle

Default What can I feed my baby frog?

He's currently about 1.6 inches long and on crickets, but I'm not sure how many he should be eating per day as he doesn't seem to be eating much.

What other food could I try for him?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NialR35

Default Re: What can I feed my baby frog?

Well the golden rule is - as much as they can eat for 15 minutes everyday. Since he is a baby, I'm assuming it'd would be better to take him out of the carrier and try to tong feed him during 15 mins to get an average.

I drop about 5-6 medium sized crickets every night 30 mins after lowering the temperature to 78F and in the morning there's about 1-2 left. He's about 2" long.

You can also try feeding night crawlers which are also really good for staple diets, but you'd have to cut them into smaller pieces starting from the tail unless you can manage to get small ones.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Nial is spot on! however taking a frog out of his enclosure might stress him out to the point he won't eat, it is very common, it is better to feed in his own tank without doing anything to him.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Froggle

Thanks for the replies, I'll try get hold of some night crawlers in the UK. What about things like mealworms, waxworms and silkworms?

NialR35

Do not feed anything other worm other than night crawlers(also known as earth worms) as a staple diet. You can feed hornworm(green caterpillars) as an occasional treat but stay away from red words. Nutritionally speaking, night crawlers are your best bet and you don't have to gut load them.

You might also want to try Dubia Roaches when he gets bigger. For now, since he's still a baby, crickets and night crawlers should be easier to digest.

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Do not feed anything other worm other than night crawlers(also known as earth worms) as a staple diet. You can feed hornworm(green caterpillars) as an occasional treat but stay away from red words. Nutritionally speaking, night crawlers are your best bet and you don't have to gut load them.

You might also want to try Dubia Roaches when he gets bigger. For now, since he's still a baby, crickets and night crawlers should be easier to digest.
    Nutritionally speaking, silkworms are at par with earthworms. B. Dubia (newborn babies are close to the same size as small crickets) contain far more nutritional benefits than crickets, and do not hinder the frog's digestive tract.

I would also use wax worms on occasion, and morio worms on occasion as well.

Thread Information