Thread: ***** help ****** help ******

CA COQUI

Default ***** help ****** help ******

Hi there. About a week ago I started hearing a ko-kee squeel at night. I thought it was a bird because it would answer to my return whistle. After nights of searching for a bird and lots of unsuccesful internet searches I decided to search in a different direction.

I determined that my new friend was a frog, the coqui. I listened to the call via the internet and yes!! This is our boy. I spent several nights trying to locate the frog but he is sneaky! Finally, last night I was able to catch a glimpse of him and tonight I was able to take a photo. He is so tiny about the size of a quarter.

I'm sure he found his way to my home via a plant (bromeliad) that came from Hawaii. He made it through their attempts to kill this species with citric acid spray and then lived through the local nurseries acid spray as well. So this guy deserves to live a happy and prosperous life.

Im not sure this guy can survive outside, IT WAS COLD LAST NIGHT!!

PLEASE HELP ME HELP THIS GUY SURVIVE UNTIL I CAN FIND A NEW HOME FOR HIM!!!
    Last edited by CA COQUI; July 4th, 2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ***** help ****** help ******

it is hard to say anything really, I'm sure there are quite a few native species of tree frogs around where you live, it might be local.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

CA COQUI

i thought coqui frogs are the only ones that make the "koo kee" call at night? More specifically the males? Here is a pic just in case you might be able to identify it Name:  DSCF2796.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  42.4 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi! You can put him into a 10 gallon tank for now with a screened lid.

Here is what I found...
    http://http://www.frogforum.net/tree...caresheet.html

Provide a shallow water dish with shallow spring water or dechlorinated water in the dish. Change the water daily.

How big is he? If he is 1" or less I'd feed him flightless fruit flies. If he is larger you can do pinhead sized crickets. His food should be no larger than the distance between his eyes for easy swallowing.

Cover the back and 2 sides of the tank with a background of some type to make him feel safe.

You can use paper towels for substrate to line the floor with. Mist the tank with a sprayer 2x/day.

If you can add a soft, smooth-edged fake plant or a real plant with all fertilizers and pesticides completely rinsed off and then replanted in Eco earth, he would like that.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

He will also need calcium with vitamin D3 supplement and a multivitamin supplement. These are amphibian/reptile powdered supplants necessary for their health and survival.

Lightly dust the food by using a baggie. Take a small pinch of the supplement and add the insects to it. Gently shake to lightly coat. Calcium with vitamin D3 every other day. Multivitamin one day a week, not on the same day as the calcium/D3.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

CA COQUI

Hi thanks for all the great info!! Im not sure I can catch him. do you think he can survive outside in our climate? its pretty humid here 70-80% but the temperatures do drop to the 60's at night.

I havent been able to find any info on temperatures for these guys, but im not the best web searcher either.

I called the local zoo and am awaiting to hear if they will take and care for this guy.

thanks a bunch for the info

CA COQUI

oh, how often do you have to feed this guy? and how much? maybe i can put some food out near the area i think he is hiding.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would feed him daily.

Thread Information