Thread: Pacman frog tongue

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Pacman frog tongue

My pacman frog seems to have a really short tongue. When he eats it can only fall out onto the prey that's right I front of him and he's really inaccurate with it. If he isn't close enough to the food he will move closer so a short tongue doesn't seem to be a burden on him it's just when I saw this video I realsied that my frogs tongue may be too short.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxoQQgV

Also can they change colour slightly because the area around his lips sometimes turns gray and then after a shed or a misting of the terrarium it turns white and green again. Is this normal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    My pacman frog seems to have a really short tongue. When he eats it can only fall out onto the prey that's right I front of him and he's really inaccurate with it. If he isn't close enough to the food he will move closer so a short tongue doesn't seem to be a burden on him it's just when I saw this video I realsied that my frogs tongue may be too short.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxoQQgV

Also can they change colour slightly because the area around his lips sometimes turns gray and then after a shed or a misting of the terrarium it turns white and green again. Is this normal?
    Your frog may have Short Tongue Syndrome. It is a disease caused by a lack of calium and Vitamin A.

Yes they can change color for many reasons. Stress, mood, sick, and changing to match their environment. Lighting can affect their color as well.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Your frog may have Short Tongue Syndrome. It is a disease caused by a lack of calium and Vitamin A.

Yes they can change color for many reasons. Stress, mood, sick, and changing to match their environment. Lighting can affect their color as well.
    1. Can it be treated/fixed

2. Calcium+D3 every other feeding and Multivitamin once a week ok?

Nationality
    [United States]

2. Calcium+D3 every other feeding and Multivitamin once a week ok?
    Should be fine.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Should be fine.
    Do you mean the Supplements or that it can be healed? As long as I know it can be healed then I'll feel ok.

Nationality
    [Canada]

no it is not reversible if that is a short tongue syndrome, but you can make a frog more comfortable by tong feeding him. sometimes it may feel they have a short tongue, but they're just plain lazy, my male is like that, i don't think he's ever caught a food himself in his life, may be when he was a a very very tiny, but never in my
    care. he'd rather sit with open mouth and wait for a food to get in, very funny
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    sometimes it may feel they have a short tongue, but they're just plain lazy, my male is like that, i don't think he's ever caught a food himself in his life, may be when he was a a very very tiny, but never in my
    Sounds just like mine.

Nationality
    [United States]

no it is not reversible if that is a short tongue syndrome, but you can make a frog more comfortable by tong feeding him. sometimes it may feel they have a short tongue, but they're just plain lazy, my male is like that, i don't think he's ever caught a food himself in his life, may be when he was a a very very tiny, but never in my
    It can be corrected. Short tongue syndrome doesn't just mean the actual tongue is short. It has to do with it not functioning properly. The frog can't flip its tongue out as far as it could due to the lack of calcium and Vitamin A, but if the frog was born with a short tongue then no it is not reversable.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I think he was probably just born with a short tongue. I also read that the glands which produce the sticky mucus on the tongue don't function properly if they have short tongue syndrome so they can't catch their prey.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think he was probably just born with a short tongue. I also read that the glands which produce the sticky mucus on the tongue don't function properly if they have short tongue syndrome so they can't catch their prey.
    Yep and that is what the Vitamin A is for. Vitamin A is used by their body to produce the mucus in those glands.

FriedrichsFrogs

Lol id like to see that on video...and it sounds like a great life

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by FriedrichsFrogs View Post
    Lol id like to see that on video...and it sounds like a great life
    no kidding lol the feeding time looks like that, he sees tongs with food, open his mouth and waits for me to put it in. i must say his mouth is very big and very yellow sometimes i don't put food in right away, then he just sits with open mouth and waits lol i must say that is the funniest dude for sure. very rarely he actually grabs food from tongs, i guess i annoy him too much by not giving food the moment it appears i his tank, but he never actually hunts.
    when he was a baby he tried to hunt, but his reaction time was totally off, by the time he lunged the cricket was long gone, but it never stopped him by eating me when he was little lol here that is how he usually sits, but in a substrate of course, throat hanging and is being used as a pillow, (here in a pic is not that bad like it usually is) then in a middle of that ball you see something big and yellow that you need to put food in.
    Name:  DSC04243.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  107.9 KB

Grif, you're right, depending on a cause and seriousness level it might be corrected to the extend.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information