Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: American Green TF Skin Disease?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    scribbles
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Yes, if possible, both frogs need to be tested. I have never even had to take an amphibian to a vet, I'm sorry, can't tell you the relative cost.

  2. #2
    Founder John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Location
    United States
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,963
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Firstly, you can't tell a frog is suffering from chytrid just by looking at a photo of it. Is this frog eating regularly and well? It doesn't look thin. If its behaviour is normal, appetite is good and the frog is active, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on it in case things change.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

  3. #3
    Paul Rust
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    [QUOTE=John;18136]Firstly, you can't tell a frog is suffering from chytrid just by looking at a photo of it.QUOTE]

    Agreed.

  4. #4

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Firstly, you can't tell a frog is suffering from chytrid just by looking at a photo of it. Is this frog eating regularly and well? It doesn't look thin. If its behaviour is normal, appetite is good and the frog is active, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on it in case things change.
    I feed him 3 to 4 times per week one of those times with the calcium supplement, he eats so much that my main concern up until now was that he was eating everything I put in the terrarium before the smaller "healthier" looking frog had a chance to get some grub for himself. Anyway I appreciate your positive thinking John, as I really cannot afford to take him to the vet at this point. Do you think its a good idea to keep them separated while I'm observing the "sick" frog?

  5. #5
    Founder John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Location
    United States
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,963
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    Do you think its a good idea to keep them separated while I'm observing the "sick" frog?
    There's no harm in it. I would like to see another photo of the frog from the side. Does the grey area feel different to the touch than normal areas of the back?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

  6. #6
    scribbles
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    I agree with John, I wouldn't panic as long as the frog is eating well and remains active.

  7. #7
    Kurt
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    I have dealt with chytridiomycosis, its nasty. In my case the animal was a fire salamander, that had stopped hiding, was refusing to eat, was quite lethargic, and when handled bits of its skin would flake off in my hands. Where not talking about a normal shed that looks kind of like wet tissue paper or sort of like runny eggs. We are talking about flakes of skin, kind of like what you get after a bad sunburn, but these wet and black. It was like the salamander was disintegrating right before my very eyes.

    In a case like this, a vet must be seen and that vet needs to take skin samples to be sent to a lab like the Center for Wildlife Disease at the University of South Dakota or the Center for Integrated Biotechnology of Washington State University. Once confirmed, the standard treatment is a daily bath in an itraconazole solution. I have used this drug, it is expensive and has a very short shelf life.

    Other solutions are raising the temperture up for a few days or using Lamisil solution bath. Since these have not come reccomended by a vet, I am hesitant to use them.

    Now what I think you may be dealing with could be a skin irriatation from housing more than one species together. That being said, I would still get it checked out. Where are you located? Maybe one of us can reccomend a vet in your area.

  8. #8

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?



  9. #9

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Oh and the discolored skin feels the same as healthy skin.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help Red eye skin problem ??
    By JasonW in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: April 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
  2. Metabolic Bone Disease?
    By Aimee in forum Aquatic Clawed Frogs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
  3. Feeding American Green Treefrogs
    By into in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
  4. How to Care for a Sick Frog with Red Leg Disease?
    By Crazy Frog in forum General Discussion & News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 6th, 2009, 02:00 AM
  5. Frog fungus/disease
    By Octopus in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •