Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: American Green TF Skin Disease?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Ok well here is a little history on the matter. Before I new what I was doing I contacted a mail order dealer in Florida, I told them what species I was interested in. They told me that they would all be fine housed together in a 20 gallon tall aquarium. Originally It was (2) red-eyed tree frogs, (2) green tree frogs, and 1 Vietnamese blue tree frog. That was in august of 2008 since then both red-eyeds and the Vietnamese blue have died. Starting about 8 months after I got them first one red eyed, then the second, then the Vietnamese. Finally I talked to someone who knew something and they stated the obvious (don't house different species together) but after that the two green tree frogs seemed great. I clean their cage regularly, the only time I slipped up was a long weekend where i couldn't get someone to come and spray them, and it go so dry in the cage that both frogs buried themselves. I have since separated the two. The problem is that getting my car inspected is going to be extremely expensive, and I just cant swing a vet bill right now, and probably wont be able to for a month or so.

  2. #2
    scribbles
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    How long have the two been separated? If you do end up trying the heating method Paul suggested, and can keep the frog alive until you can afford it, I would still test both frogs for chytrid.

  3. #3

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
    How long have the two been separated? If you do end up trying the heating method Paul suggested, and can keep the frog alive until you can afford it, I would still test both frogs for chytrid.
    They have been separated for less than a day, here is a pic of the other


  4. #4

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Anyone have a ballpark figure for cost?

  5. #5
    scribbles
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Yes, if possible, both frogs need to be tested. I have never even had to take an amphibian to a vet, I'm sorry, can't tell you the relative cost.

  6. #6
    Founder John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Location
    United States
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,963
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Firstly, you can't tell a frog is suffering from chytrid just by looking at a photo of it. Is this frog eating regularly and well? It doesn't look thin. If its behaviour is normal, appetite is good and the frog is active, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on it in case things change.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

  7. #7
    Paul Rust
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    [QUOTE=John;18136]Firstly, you can't tell a frog is suffering from chytrid just by looking at a photo of it.QUOTE]

    Agreed.

  8. #8

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Firstly, you can't tell a frog is suffering from chytrid just by looking at a photo of it. Is this frog eating regularly and well? It doesn't look thin. If its behaviour is normal, appetite is good and the frog is active, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on it in case things change.
    I feed him 3 to 4 times per week one of those times with the calcium supplement, he eats so much that my main concern up until now was that he was eating everything I put in the terrarium before the smaller "healthier" looking frog had a chance to get some grub for himself. Anyway I appreciate your positive thinking John, as I really cannot afford to take him to the vet at this point. Do you think its a good idea to keep them separated while I'm observing the "sick" frog?

  9. #9
    Founder John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Location
    United States
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,963
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    Do you think its a good idea to keep them separated while I'm observing the "sick" frog?
    There's no harm in it. I would like to see another photo of the frog from the side. Does the grey area feel different to the touch than normal areas of the back?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help Red eye skin problem ??
    By JasonW in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: April 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
  2. Metabolic Bone Disease?
    By Aimee in forum Aquatic Clawed Frogs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
  3. Feeding American Green Treefrogs
    By into in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
  4. How to Care for a Sick Frog with Red Leg Disease?
    By Crazy Frog in forum General Discussion & News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 6th, 2009, 02:00 AM
  5. Frog fungus/disease
    By Octopus in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •