Thread: Help please!!!

Greenclover43

Unhappy Help please!!!

So i went outside to smoke and found my 1 year old tabby batting at something. When i puled him away I found this really cute tiny little tree frog and the poor thing has a bad scratch down his back from titan. I put him in the 10 gallon terrarium that my hermit crab is currently living in (they seem fine together froggy stays at the top while my crab just sits in his little corner) BUT i have no idea how to care for him or what to feed him or anything!!! Please help i really dont want to see this poor froggy die because my cat has a very morbid humor.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenclover43 View Post
    So i went outside to smoke and found my 1 year old tabby batting at something. When i puled him away I found this really cute tiny little tree frog and the poor thing has a bad scratch down his back from titan. I put him in the 10 gallon terrarium that my hermit crab is currently living in (they seem fine together froggy stays at the top while my crab just sits in his little corner) BUT i have no idea how to care for him or what to feed him or anything!!! Please help i really dont want to see this poor froggy die because my cat has a very morbid humor.

I've been told not to mix species in the same tank for several reasons including different habitat requirements, and the dangers of injury to each other.

You should separate the two for sure, and put the injured frog in a separate tank with some wet damp paper towels at the bottom. Unbleached are best, but if you have just the plain white kind, they will do. Don't use the ones with print on them. You can feed crickets, but no larger than the distance between his eyes. I would also provide a small place to hide if possible. Hopefully someone will chime in soon about what you can do about his injury/if you should release him.

Greenclover43

OK i moved my crab to a smaller tank and cleaned out the other and put clean damp towels at the bottom. I also placed a clean dish of water in with him and got some small crickets (of witch he is snapping up left and right) in with him and he has a little rock cave to hide under. Can you think of anything else i can do for him?

Nationality
    [United States]

You can use a q - tip to apply NON medicated neosporin to the scratch. If you use the kind with pain reliever it will kill the frog. The neosporin will help reduce chances of infection and help the wound heal.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello Greenclover,
    Welcome to Frog Forum!
    Sorry to have to welcome this way, It's so good of you to take care of this frog
    Your Kitty is not morbid- he is just being a kitty.

Can you post some photos?

We need to evaluated the injuries:
    1) with photos ----we will be able to advise you as to how to proceed from here/ regarding the proper treatment of the injuries
    ( for now- if there is any obvious broken skin use the Neosporin ( WITHOUT PAIN RELIEVER) once daily- apply with a Q-tip
    2) we need to identify the frog
    3) after identification , we will be able to give you specific details on caring for it ____ ie FOOD !

* pick up some water de-chlorinator from a pet store to de-chlorinate all water used for the frog- including to dampen the paper towels on the bottom of the 'hospital' enclosure.

Provide a shallow water dish ( boil the dish- use ie glass or ceramic) No soap ! Keep the water below the frog's chin. The water needs to be in the enclosure at all time and cleaned daily.

How big is the frog ? estimate the length from the end of it's body to the tip of it's nose.

Lynn
    Last edited by flybyferns; June 30th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Greenclover43

ok so i looked up native frogs in my area and the only one it could be is a squirrel tree frog (Hyla squirella), i cant take any pics at the moment as i dont have a camera and the one on my phone is broken. He is looking alot better today and i put some store bought flys in the enclosure and he devoured them xD i have been putting the non medicated neo on his back 2 times a day (first thing in the am and right before i go to bed as he sits in his water almost all day) i moved him to a 10 gallon tank with about 3 inches of substrate and lots of natural branches for the little one to crawl up and he seems to like them. Is there anything else i can do for him? Oh and he is about 1/2 an inch long nose to rear end.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to FF! If you can't borrow someones phone for pic, at least try to describe the frog. Do make sure the bath water is dechlorinated (no distilled or R/O) or can also use bottled spring water. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Greenclover43

I am only using declorinanted as i already had it on hand for my fish tanks. He is a bright green on top with a tan underbelly no really other markings but he does seem to have very faint light stripes on his sides.

Any updates on this baby?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thread Information