Thread: Help

Lliam Rosencrans

Unhappy Help

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THIS IS! IS IT AN EGG SAC? INTESTINE? American grey tree frog.Name:  2013-06-25 15.27.06.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  116.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lliam Rosencrans

Default Re: Help

Please help. I really love my frogs and if I loose my ONLY female, I WILL DIE!

That looks like a prolapse. You are going to need to find an experienced herp vet if she has any chance of survival.

I'm so sorry, that really sucks.

Keep her on moist paper towels separated from the other frogs at the moment until you can get to the vet. That is what I would do anyhow.

Oh no! I've read on a previous post that you can soak them in something in the mean time until you get her to a vet, but you should call around and get in somewhere right away. I hope someone more experienced chimes in soon and your baby is okay!

I know that you can soak reptiles in sugar water but I don't know about frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That is a bad case of intestinal prolapse . Need to move frog now to hospital/quarantine type set-up with damp paper towels as substrate (few layers) and sides. Minimun decor can be used. Change bottom paper towels daily until can take to veterinary. Vet will need to push intestines back in and do a stitch or two.

Your frog probably had some intestinal problem that caused this. Impaction or bacterial/parasite infections are possibilities so recommend a fecal test once frog poops again. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Lliam Rosencrans

Unhappy Re: Help

Is there anyway possible that I could fix it? It keeps coming out and back in. 5 minutes ago it was about an inch. now its about 1/4 of an inch.

Lliam Rosencrans

Please, my mom just told me that she used vaseline and a q-tip for a cat once. Could I use that?

You can try the sugar water soak. About 1-2 teaspoon of sugar per 6 Tablespoons of water is a good ratio to use. Put her in enough of this mixture to cover the lower part of the frog with her head still above water. A shallow dish with a lid is preferable (the plastic containers that some take-out places use work perfectly). Keep her in it for about 30 minutes. It should help dehydrate the prolapse and help it suck itself back in.

After the bath, you can try the q-tip + lubricant to very gently reinsert it. K-Y jelly or vaseline will work. If it's not going back in easily, leave it be and find yourself a qualified vet (hospital tank as advised above in the meantime).

A vet is a good idea even if you manage to get it back in, you want to determine the cause and stitches may also be required to keep it inside while it heals.

It's worth reading Franks advice, including all the comments: Amphibian and Reptile Emergencies

It helped me immensely when one of mine had a prolapse, though it wasn't quite as bad as your little girl's: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prolapse.html

Lliam Rosencrans

I manged to get the "CAUSE OF PROLAPSE" out. It was three crickets all together. I used the q-tip and put the prolapse back in. I think I will be buying juvenile cricket from now on. THANKS FOR ALL THE HEP GUYS!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hope problem is solved and prolapse does not recur. If it does, a trip to veterinary for stitches is probably required. Can use the distance between frogs eyes as a measurement for crickets and other feeders. Also, would avoid any pincer type worms (i.e. mealworms) due to their hard chitin exoskeleton. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

That's great news!

I would withhold food for as long as possible. A week to two weeks if you are comfortable with that (assuming this was an adult in otherwise good shape). The more time it has to heal before being stressed again the better.

When you resume feeding, aim for softer bodied insects at first. Earthworms are a great food source if you can convince her to eat them.

Lliam Rosencrans

Bad news, Frogy has died. She had blood coming from her anus and from the mouth. Thank you all for helping me out in my time of need.

So sorry

Nationality
    [Canada]

so sorry to hear(((
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Future reference never push prolapse back In. It will kill your frog. I'm very sorry I missed this thread. You need to soak your frog in veteriacin Or sugar water. I have a lot of experience in treating this in many species of frogs. Please view common problems section under my website. Www.cjsfrogs.weebly.com. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Corey, honey is better then sugar, it has active enzymes, natural sugars and tons of vitamins and micro-elements, it is all-in-one but here it was very bad case to begin with and the question is how long it has been this way. i'm so sorry i missed this thread too and so sorry for the frog and for Lliam's experience.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

So sorry and sad to hear! I hope you're doing okay!

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I've done the honey soak...my red eye died not even a half hour after soak...ill never use that method again

Thread Information