Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet another new baby frog topic! I need your expertise please!

Default Re: Yet another new baby frog topic! I need your expertise please!

I use nightcrawlers for calcium dust days, and crickets for vitamin dust days. Then a pinky once a month. Nothing wild caught.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh and keep in mind that when female crickets lay eggs they die. Was keeping some crickets to gut load for a few days but they all layed eggs then died. I have to get some more now for fridays vitamin feeding.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I use Night Crawlers as my frog's staple. I dust every other feeding with calcium D3 for babies and twice a week for adults. Multivitamin once per week for babies and adults, but not on the same day as the calcium.

For insect feeders a plastic bag is good to shake gentley to coat the insects, but for worms I use a small bowl. Rinse the worm off with dechlorinated water, dab dry with a paper towel, and then dip the worm in the supplement.

NialR35

Awesome, thanks guys. You should only feed once per day though right ?

Nationality
    [Canada]

yes, once a day
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

Thank you so much guys, you all have been really helpful and knowledgeable!

I was reading the reptisafe instructions and it mentions that for 5 gallons of water, add a 5 ml of reptisafe. So I'm assuming it's safe to use 1ml for a gallon? I'm asking this for when the time comes to change the substrate, I was planning to buy a gallon of water and use that as a measurement to clean/scald/rinse the items and tank. Unless you all have a better way to do this from your own experience!

Also how many different types of pacmans are there? Man I bought mine at petsmart not knowing all these "fantasy" "samurais" "dragon" pacs existed!!! So for sure now I want to buy a second one that has horns and nice flashy colors, because honestly when they are full grown they are ugly so might as well get something with a nice pattern/colors hahaha. Any breeders that have a good reputation here? Thank guys, your unconditional help really has done a lot for me, and I hope one day I can do the same for others with the knowledge I gather from you all.

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol lol lol hahahaha hey that is how it starts, see that brown one in my avatar - that is the one that started it for me, loved him to pieces, i didn't know about flashy colors either, a frog was a frog. period lol oh boy how it all changed now you have a big list of frogs that you want, i believe Grif has 21 frog now lol just 10 for me so far lol
    and by the way that is why most of us are here, someone helped you and you want to give back to frog loving community by helping as many as you possibly can, and in a process learning more yourself, FF becomes your family froggy family, some people for different reasons don't have their frogs anymore but they're still around and share their knowledge! thank you guys for being here

for your question - i use prime, you buy one bottle for like 5-6 $ and it last forever ( 6 month or so), with yours use as it says on a bottle and yes, if it says 5ml per 5 gal, for 1 gallon you use 1 ml
    and another question - there are a lot of different species of pacman frogs, and each has different color morphs, trying to count species- ornate, cranwelli, cornuta, joaz, aurita, stolzmanni, am i missing someone? and then cross species hybrids such as fantazy. in other words if you want to get all different colors of each different species and hybrids you better have a very big room and wallet lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

LOL. Lija, I guess I'm not alone then ahhahahahah..... I want a fantasy so bad now hahahahha. ( I REALLY DO!!!!!!! ) they look much cooler and their colors/patterns seem very exotic-like as well.

Can you guys recommend any breeders/websites to order me one? My local reptile store does not have any and I highly doubt petco/petsmart will have those either. Thanks

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I use Night Crawlers as my frog's staple. I dust every other feeding with calcium D3 for babies and twice a week for adults. Multivitamin once per week for babies and adults, but not on the same day as the calcium.

For insect feeders a plastic bag is good to shake gentley to coat the insects, but for worms I use a small bowl. Rinse the worm off with dechlorinated water, dab dry with a paper towel, and then dip the worm in the supplement.
    Thanks Grif! I'm for sure going to try night crawlers next, what about hornworms(are these the same as waxworms-green caterpillar looking things?)

Nationality
    [Canada]

hornworms are wonderful, expensive but as a treat they're great! wax worms are different, tiny white things.

fantasy you say? lol what about that:
    Name:  DSC04235.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  109.7 KB
    c. cornuta

Name:  DSC04252.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  108.8 KBName:  DSC03555.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  53.5 KB
    c. ornata

or these, not pacman, but couldn't resist lol
    Name:  DSC04266.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  77.0 KBName:  DSC03919.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  65.9 KB

m. nasuta and very mad female giant african bullfrog ( she bit me right after that shot)

NialR35

hahahaha! you are the best girl! me-lob-u! That nasuta frog looks possesed lol! So a fantasy is a hybrid between a cornuta and ornata right? Do you have any? Do you recommend any breeders Lija?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    hahahaha! you are the best girl! me-lob-u! That nasuta frog looks possesed lol! So a fantasy is a hybrid between a cornuta and ornata right? Do you have any? Do you recommend any breeders Lija?
    thanks
    no, i don't have fantasy, i mean i do have one about that frog lol yes it is a hybrid, but between cornuta and cranwelli.

ivory reptiles and Mike ( mikesfrogs), both here on a forum, but i haven't seen either in a while on FF, i guess they're busy with tons and tons of babies of every single colors imaginable lol
    here some more pics
    Name:  DSC04269.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  78.9 KBName:  DSC04263.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  96.2 KB

and that tiny green cute baby turned out to be that lazy dude ( men right lol)
    Name:  DSC04247.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  107.6 KBName:  DSC04245.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  105.1 KBName:  DSC03633.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  106.0 KB

NialR35

OMG that frog looks like a sumo wrestler! I emailed Mikesfrogs so let's see what happens. Where is the pic of your fantasy huh?!?!?!?

Nationality
    [Canada]

no i don't have fantasy frog but i want one, by the way my cornuta came from Mike. He is a great guy!

NialR35

Awesome, Thanks!

How much should I feed my baby? Like how many crickets/ night crawlers per day?

By the way, I already found about two crickets running around my room, how annoying is this. I'm really planning to switch to night crawlers asap, but can I drop the worms in the carrier the same way I'm dropping the crickets or I have to tong feed because they will burrow in the eco earth?
    Last edited by NialR35; July 4th, 2013 at 05:17 PM.

Nationality
    [Canada]

as many as it can eat in 15 min everyday is a general rule.. you have to tong feed worms and cut a worm starting from its butt to smaller pieces (about distance between its eyes). it will probably be 2-3 pieces.

NialR35

Well mine is a baby and he barely started eating a couple of days ago, I haven't used tongs yet but I should try soon. Every night I just drop 4-5 crickets and when I wake up only 2-1 are left alive. So I'm pretty sure they are being eaten. I know the 15 min rule is mainly for adults but is it the same for babies?

Nationality
    [Canada]

yep same for a babies

NialR35

Should I drop the food in the carrier or take him out to feed him?

Nationality
    [Canada]

it is better to feed in his own home, this way he won't stress much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information