Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin's first frog

kwandrsn

Default Re: Kevin's first frog

bunches of more questions, I'm sorry I ask too many at times. Ok do you change the substrate out? do you manually water the plants or does the waterfall pump also pump water to the plants. if it's all tied in together won't the plants make the water murky?

The Fluffy Injun

Default Kevin's first frog

Quote Originally Posted by kwandrsn View Post
    bunches of more questions, I'm sorry I ask too many at times. Ok do you change the substrate out? do you manually water the plants or does the waterfall pump also pump water to the plants. if it's all tied in together won't the plants make the water murky?
    It's no problem, honestly, I ask(ed) lots of questions myself when I started

1) I plan to change it once a month or at least a portion of it.

2) I mist every other day but my ground stays moist from the waterfall drips

3) my water gets changed every couple days because of the cloudiness but I only use a gallon of water so it's not a big endeavor.

Btw the water feature helps a lot with my humidity.

kwandrsn

so the plants are actually planted in the back foam piece and not the bottom?

What type of pump did you use and the lines you just have dripping into the "plant pots"?
    plus water flowing into the waterfall base

The Fluffy Injun

so the plants are actually planted in the back foam piece and not the bottom?

What type of pump did you use and the lines you just have dripping into the "plant pots"?
    plus water flowing into the waterfall base
    I have one plant in the foam the ivy, which has a drain pipe down into the water. The rest are on the bottom in the substrate. I used a small hydor centrifugal pump, it was like 15.00. I don't actually have any line running to the plants my drip stick occasionally just splashes the dirt, complete accident but strangely works. For the actually line from the pump I used regular vinyl hose from the hardware store like .49 a foot it's capped off by rubber corks and from that I used a line punch to put holes to insert the the regular aquarium tubes that are for the drip stick and the waterfall.

I hope this makes sense, lemme know if you need more explanation, I'll try to take pictures to clarify better.

kwandrsn

Name:  20130630_220113.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  61.8 KB
    it was funny he would jump on the glass and slowly slide down
    first time I got a good look at him on the glass

kwandrsn

Ok when you say drip stick I assume it does what it says drips. where does it drip to? and then you have a steady stream for the waterfall. correct?

is the drip stick something you made? I'm thinking fake plants for now then later on changing to real. I still would like to have water dripping on the fake plants.

The Fluffy Injun

Lol yeah, my grays had that issue.

The Fluffy Injun

Ok when you say drip stick I assume it does what it says drips. where does it drip to? and then you have a steady stream for the waterfall. correct?

is the drip stick something you made? I'm thinking fake plants for now then later on changing to real. I still would like to have water dripping on the fake plants.
    It drips into the bottom pool. It's hard to see but the stick coming out of the back is what I'm talking about. The waterfall and stick are separate features but yes I have both.

I made it from a branch outside, I boiled it and baked it and then carved it to do what I wanted.

That is why I have two tubes one feeds the waterfall and one attaches to the stick to makes the stream/drip.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372649364.566008.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372649407.622612.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372649463.061428.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  68.1 KB

kwandrsn

ah ok I got ya now, thanks for explaining everything

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Love the little fat belly in post #25. Here's how I have my two (Vern & Vera) set up. 20 gallon, half of screen top is sealed with saran wrap to help keep humidity up, I use a 25 watt red bulb 24/7 to keep the temps right during the summer. I also use a 45 watt black light 24/7 during the winter along with the red bulb. I have a Ikea LED ligth bar mounted inside for the plants.
    Name:  CIMG0001.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  137.6 KBName:  CIMG0006.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  128.8 KB
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

kwandrsn

a friend of mine is giving me what I believe is a 20 tall. it's 24"L x 10"W x 20"H. and he is giving me a waterfall filter setup. I'm not sure but I think the water has to be 4-6" high. so if I change my mind on the 10 gallon I can make a false bottom where my substrate will be and on the other side out thewaterfall thing and then fill the rest of the space in with rocks so the water isn't so high. I'm not sure if I'm gonna use it yet. but I do like how tall the tank is.

The Fluffy Injun

Awesome, bigger is usually better lol more room to play around with. Good luck!

kwandrsn

Name:  20130707_215725.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  45.8 KBName:  20130707_222102.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  66.1 KBName:  20130707_222902.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  25.3 KBName:  20130707_222915.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  70.8 KB

ok I added a zoo med mini combo deep dome light fixture. a red 40 watt nightime bulb and a 25 watt appliance bulb (all I had)
    I added a petco humidity gauge and its reading a little over 70.

changed out my substrate to coconut fiber. I bought the compressed brick and one brick done the 10 gallon with extra left over. can I save this for next time? I found out the compressed brick is a little messy but I got a 3 brick pack for $10 compared to a dry bag that equals one brick for the same price.

I've got the white bulbs on from 7 am to 7 pm and red bulb from 7 am to 11 pm
    this good?

I think I'm gonna make a acylic piece to cover the lid cause I'm afraid the light might get slid over and melt the tape
    Just a thought

I also bought some adhesive black background and put it on one side (side with bark and plant) and on the back

The Fluffy Injun

Sound great.

Just for reference though, I run my day bulb for 12 hrs (8a-8p)and my night bulb for 12 hrs (8p-8a). So he has a cycle. I don't think the way you have his light will hurt though but not sure.

What is your temp at?

kwandrsn

I don't have a thermometer in it yet :-( I should have bought one.
    leaving the red bulb on at night doesn't bother him? I thought they needed a period of complete darkness?
    ill change mine and let the red on 24 hours

kwandrsn

Ok so I noticed he is covered in the coconut fiber. is this normal? Also when I got home the humidity was at 50. misted and it went up to 70 again is this ok?

The Fluffy Injun

Ok so I noticed he is covered in the coconut fiber. is this normal? Also when I got home the humidity was at 50. misted and it went up to 70 again is this ok?
    If he takes a dip in his bowel, he's going to get it all over him. It's fine. The humidity though should be ok but you want to find a way to keep it stable. I have issues as well depending on the outside weather and the level of water in the tank but more often than not I am in the 70-80.

kwandrsn

well I haven't seen him in his bowl yet but have noticed coconut fiber in the bowl. I'm wondering if I can cover the screen with a piece of Plexiglass leaving some of it open if that would help. the light takes up most of the lid so the sides beside the light are open now cause I had to remove most the tape. I don't know if the light would melt the plexiglass. I'm thinking no cause my power compact fixture I used before I upgraded to leds on my reec tank had a thin plexiglass cover

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information