Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Red eye skin problem ??

JasonW

Question Help Red eye skin problem ??

Hello i just got a new red eye tree frog. from a reptile show this Sunday 4/11/10 . he/ she Not sure how to tell has these spots on there back now. this Morning see photo's sorry they are not all the best photo's

Need some help i dont want the little guy to get sick an die on me ...
    i am using spring water, which i use for my gecko's an other red eye he/she is the only one with it. i am guessing i put him in there too soon?? he is soaking in a dish now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Help Red eye skin problem ??

Hi Jason. Does it seek the water dish on it's own and sit in it?

JasonW

Yes it did it was on a left for a little bit then found the dish an has been in it all day

Paul Rust

That is a classic sign of a parisitic infection. It probably got stressed and that allowed oppurtunistic parasites to get out of control. Call a vet and get a fecal sample done immediately. I have a wild caught A.moreletii that looks exactly like yours and I have been trying for 2 days to get a fecal sample. Maybe tonight I will be succesful, if so I will run a fecal on it tonight and post my findings.

JasonW

Ugh is there a treatment for it ?? i don't have a reptile vet around here .. he could have gotten stress from the trip home that makes senses..

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by JasonW View Post
    Ugh is there a treatment for it ?? i don't have a reptile vet around here .. he could have gotten stress from the trip home that makes senses..
    Yes it can be treated, but not if you're not sure what it is. If you don't have a vet you can take it to than it may be in trouble. If mine is positive for parasite overload I will help you as they look exactly alike. Don't panic, there is the posibility that the coloration is a regional thing and since yours is probably wild caught and mine definately is, some research indicates this possibility.

JasonW

I am panicing i feel bad for the little guy i think he is CB not wild caught . but i am Not 100% . what made you think that? is there a way to tell ?? i am in Amesbury ma about an hr out of Boston. Than you for all the help i woke to find him like this an well i have been on the net ever senses looking to see what could be wrong .. should i get some distilled water for him to soak in or is the spring water fine ??

Paul Rust

I am panicing i feel bad for the little guy i think he is CB not wild caught . but i am Not 100% . what made you think that? is there a way to tell ?? i am in Amesbury ma about an hr out of Boston. Than you for all the help i woke to find him like this an well i have been on the net ever senses looking to see what could be wrong .. should i get some distilled water for him to soak in or is the spring water fine ??
    Spring water is normally fine but if it is sick I would use distilled water to eliminate that possibility.

JasonW

Ok i will go get some thank you an Keep me posted .. ...

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I hope it all works out for your Red eye's. Good luck Paul and Jason.

Kurt

I am in Amesbury ma about an hr out of Boston.
    Jason, my friend, you are in luck. I am in Billerica, MA and I have a great vet, Dr Greg Mertz DVM. If you were at the Manchester Reptile Expo you could've gotten his business card from me.

Greg works out of the NEWC in South Weymouth. I know its a bit of a hike, because you're on the north shore and he is on the south shore, but its worth the ride. Greg can treat it for parasites no problem. If you can't get a fecal out of it, don't worry. Greg will treat it assuming that is positve for parasites. First he will hit it with metronidazole, then a week or so later, fenbendazole. One kills protozoa, the other worms.

The phone number at the Wildlife Center is (781) 682 - 4878.

This Sunday I will be at the NEWC with the NEHS, you are welcome to come down and join us.

I hate to contradict Paul, but I would only use distilled water for misting as it lacks trace elements needed by the frog. Spring water is OK and so is dechlorinated tap water.

JasonW

Hey Kurt where you the guy in the second room ?? kind of in the middle next to what is it nerd i think ??
    Yikes that is far but Very good to know .. Thank you

I put him/ her in some distilled water an the spots have gone .. she is hanging on the wall of a smaller en-closer now i figured it would be easier to watch him that way .. could he still have it now that the spots have gone ? or was he just stressed an now that he has calmed down from the trip they just went away ?? i usually mist with spring with my gecko's so i use the same for the frogs ..

Where is the event you will be at ??
    what did you think of the reptile show this weekend ..??

Paul Rust

Thank goodness for Kurt!!! Get it treated. I lowered the humidity and started a course of fenbendazole last night and the spots and blotches are almost all gone. I'm fairly certain that mine was caused by stress from a parasite infection. Glad to hear yours seems better but a deworming won't hurt and will ensure it is healthy.

JasonW

would the fenbendazole work for me too or should i take him to the vet ? the vet he is telling me about is a Hike from me an i don't want to stress him out traveling ... 2 hrs if i dont have to . but at the same time i will if needs be ..

Paul Rust

would the fenbendazole work for me too or should i take him to the vet ? the vet he is telling me about is a Hike from me an i don't want to stress him out traveling ... 2 hrs if i dont have to . but at the same time i will if needs be ..
    I don't know if it would work or not, I spent 2 hours looking through a microscope last night to decide what to do with mine. When the skin gets shiney and blotchy like that they usually die without intervention. I would call Dr. Mertz as Kurt suggested and have it looked at. You can get Fenbendazole but you can't get metronidazole without a prescription. I usually tell people to give it Fenbedazole just for good measure but in the case of Agalychnis.spp you can't watch them eat dusted food so you have to administer it through the skin and when you do it this way you have to be very careful of dosage so you don't kill it.

Kurt

Hey Kurt where you the guy in the second room ?? kind of in the middle next to what is it nerd i think ??
    Yes, our buddies at NERD were right next to us. I may go up to see them tonight. Our table was run by Kurt Schatzl and I, I am the taller of the two Kurts.

I put him/ her in some distilled water an the spots have gone .. she is hanging on the wall of a smaller en-closer now i figured it would be easier to watch him that way .. could he still have it now that the spots have gone ? or was he just stressed an now that he has calmed down from the trip they just went away ??
    It could've been stress or you could've washed off what was irratating the frog. Either way I would still go see Greg and get it checked out/dewormed.

Where is the event you will be at ??
    what did you think of the reptile show this weekend ..??
    The next NEHS meeting will be on Sunday, April 18th at the NEWC in South Weymouth. Details at http://www.neherp.com. The plan for this Sunday is to go herping on the NEWC grounds, with a back up plan for inclement weather to view a herp related DVD.

Paul Rust

Hi Jason, how is your Red-Eyed Leaf Frog doing? Mine finally came out of it, skin is back to normal but he is really skinny and a little worse for wear. He has 7 more days of treatment so hopefully he will fatten up and be fine.

JasonW

He is doing he/ she is eatting an No more spot... thanks for asking thank you all for the help !! i will post up new photo's once he gets over to the big tank with the other red eye .. i hope he is a boy i wanted one that would sing .. the white lip i have isn't singing/ barking .. yet so here is hoping ..

Paul Rust

That's great to hear!

Kurt

Very good. Will we be seening you done at the NEWC this weekend for the NEHS meeting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information