Thread: Froglet help

Sidney08

Default Froglet help

My tadpole now has all 4 legs....so he is considered a froglet now, right? I need help caring for him now. How should I set up his tank now?Should there be a gradual incline from water to a space above water now? We've been feeding him boiled, frozen spinach so do we keep feeding that for a while longer?

Does anyone have pictures of tank set up for this stage of development? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DartEd

Default Re: Froglet help

Lower the water level to just enough to cover the tad. Then tip the container slightly and provide a leaf or moss to enable the tad to climb out. I place my container into the temp habitat about 5- 10 gallons, no bigger, that's been seeded with springtails and already has a few melanogaster ff In it. Wingless are best as they don't jump as far and make easier prey. The smaller tank allows you to observe the froglets behavior and feeding habits. The tadpole still has to crawl out of the water and absorb its tail. While it absorbs its tail, the tad will not feed. You can concentrate food by placing a small slice of banana or strawberry in the tank. This provide the flies a place to congregate and lay eggs providing larvae which are more nutritious for tadpoles. While the tad is in the water feed lightly. Once you see the froglet actively hunting, feed one to two times per day but feed lightly and please dust all food items with a calcium supplement and vitamin supplement. Frogs require vitamins that "home grown"insects don't contain. You're doing great so far.

The way I set up my grow out is I put down a layer of moist sphagnum moss, then ABG substrate with springtails and isopods. I place a plant clipping in and cover the ABG layer with leaves. Lots of leaves. This allows the froglet the security and hunting grounds it requires and it gives springtails a place to crawl and ff a place to hide as well. Foraging is an important skill for the froglet to practice. Best of luck.

Sidney08

Sorry for the delay in response. We are SHOCKED at how fast he is absorbing his tail!! Wow! As far as insects go for food at this point, how do I "make" it? We recently had a fruit fly issue and really do not want to deal with that again.

Not sure if it matters, but today was the first day he completely removed himself from water and sat on a rock.

DartEd

You don't really have a choice. Dart froglets are too small to feed anything but springtails and ff. what type of froglet is it? Once the tail is completely gone, that froglet is going to be hungry. Unless you have a master springtail culture, you're stuck with ff. if its a different froglet you may be able to get away with pinhead crickets but if its a dart, with a froglet's voracious appetite, you're going to the poor house buying crickets.

Sidney08

Okay....as long as we can contain the fruit flies so they aren't flying everywhere I'm ok. You mentioned something about "wingless"?? I've tried to do some research on food and habitat, but I'm so confused!

How can I determine what I have?

I fully admit that doing it this way more involved that I expected! I thought I had done research, but clearly not enough! It makes me feel bad that I'm probably not giving my baby frog the best possible. How do I get springtails. My ignorance regarding this makes me feel horrible. I thought I had a good idea going into this.

DartEd

How did you come into possession of the tadpole? If its something you found, research frogs that are indigenous to your area and compare pictures. I was under the impression that you had a dart frog tadpole. Not sure how I drew that conclusion.

As far as flightless fruit flies,here are some reliable websites that sell flightless fruit flies and they teachy how to culture them. The FF of choice is Turkish gliders or melanogaster ff. both are flightless. You will have some escapees but they don't go far and they'll die off. If you own a cat, they really won't get far. I could probably culture ff from my cats digestive system.

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/food-nutri...upplies-2.html
    New England Herpetoculture LLC - Live Bugs
    FlyCafe - The World's Best Fruit Fly Cultures - Fruit Flies for Sale.

Sidney08

I looked at Darts but don't see any relation to what I have. I live in northern New England, USA. I feel like a failure. :-(

Here is a picture of the little guy that I took today.

Name:  P1190030.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  78.7 KB

DartEd

Looks like a north American green frog.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thread Information