Thread: Which species is right for me?

MrWilmsmeyer

Default Which species is right for me?

I am a teacher setting up a 50 gal. horizontal vivarium for my classroom. It has a large water feature that empties into a little pond. It has lots of land for the pdfs and will be live-planted to the max (but there is only 12 or so vertical inches).

I am looking for something on the quieter side, bold, with bright coloring and would prefer something that eats springtails and fruit flies.

I was thinking thumbnails (R. imitator or R. ventrimaculata) but have considered B. auratus and even going the mantella route. I have been doing my research but no one really put a spreadsheet together to help make this decision easy.

Your thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Which species is right for me?

Mr. Wilmsmeyer,
    Welcome to Frog Forum.
    Yes .......this is a big decision.
    That's why most of us are never quite satisfied with just one species So you will fit right in around here.

It sounds like you are have decided on dart frogs! So that's good to have narrowed your decision to this point.
    It is a good decision, I believe. In a class room setting, it would not be fun to observe a nocturnal frog sleeping the entire day away.

I can share my experience with regard to the species of darts I keep. Other members will as well. I'm sure.

What come to mind first is the 12 inches of vertical space, of which is limiting for many dart species.
    How long and wide is your enclosure?

R. imitators ( I have 'Varadero') will need more height, I believe. They love to climb. Be aware as well they are escape artists and should be kept in pairs. I would be very careful with a water area in an imi enclosure.

As for the R. ventrimaculata, I don'rt know ? I don't know if their behavior is different form the imitators.

height wise-- Same with D leucomelas ? Leus are great frogs as they are very bold and very easy to keep.
    See what others think about the height for leucs -as they are a really great classroom frog and can be kept in small groups.

My green/black D auratus are very shy. They too, can be in small groups - typically. I have read several times there could be some aggression as they age, but I have never seen any. For dart frogs in groups---- keep it well planted with plenty of hides and 'breaks'. Create little areas.

Mantellas are are beautiful . I don't have them But will . They will like the water. Do you homework on their care.

Have you considered P terribilis. $$ They would need more ground space. More difficult for a beginner species? Water not necessary. They would want more of an open ground area. I'm in the process of building for them. They will be in ( after quarantine) a 36 wide 24 high 18" deep enclosure. I plan to use large smooth pebbles in a wet area that is unfiltered but drains automatically when the water reach a certain height. They are big eaters and will need small crickets in addition to FF.

I hope this gets the ball rolling for you! Have fun!
    Please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

DartEd

Default Re: Which species is right for me?

Most thumbnails are out of the question unless you look to get fantasticus which are more terrestrial. Auratus are beautiful but with that beauty comes a shyness. I would recommend terribilis as well. Great communal frog, hearty feeders, and bold as the sun is bright. Tincs are great frogs but not great in groups. If you like smaller frogs, E Anthonyi santa isabel are great communal frogs and you could keep anywhere from8-12 In a tank that size. They have a lovely call, good feeders, and are pretty bold as they mature.

Thread Information