Thread: Not sure what to do?? (Showing my inexperience)

Phoenyx

Default Not sure what to do?? (Showing my inexperience)

Ok, so I have been reading up on Fire bellies and feel pretty confident that I have 3 males and one female in my 50 gallon and and for the most part they all seem to get along.... The problem lies in the fact that, I believe, the Males are ganging up on the female (now that breeding season seems to be in full swing I have noticed all but the one (female) display typical male behavior and the physical differences between her and the other three are very apparent..) The Three Males are constantly taking turns mounting her and it appears as though over the course of the past week this "behavior" has been causing her some stress, while she still "hunts" for her food (I now have to feed her separately off a "pole" just to make sure she gets her fair share/before she was right there with the boys/now I am lucky if by the time she comes out there is anything left) and will come out to explore the tank, unlike the other three she has become quick to run at the first sight of movement and hides quite often in the under "waterfall" cave until the boys settle down... It literally reminds me of a kid hiding in a bathroom stall until the bullies leave..... I am not sure what to do??? Is this normal behavior for a female (For all the "research" I have done, I haven't been able to find much on female behavior???) Do I see if I can get another female?? Do I separate her?? What??? any advice would be greatly appreciated......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Not sure what to do?? (Showing my inexperience)

I think having a 3.1 ratio could easily stress a female. In my opinion you have four options. 1)buy another female or two to take some focus off of her. 2)give her her own little tank and let the three boys play grab *** with themselves. 3) leave her in there and keep a close eye on her, if she goes off food totally she def needs to be moved. 4)trade her with someone for another male.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Phoenyx

Thanks for the reply, No matter which way I go it will have to wait till this weekend.... Hmmmmmm decisions, decisions????? Either way I do believe I will be picking up a new tank just in case things don't work out!!!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Good idea getting the tank before real problems start. Just make sure she keeps eating and isn't loosing weight. If the boys don't chill out in the near future though you may want to consider moving her either way because living with constant stress can take a toll on her health and make her more susceptible to disease and possibly shortening her life span

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Phoenyx

She's been out and about with them since around 6 this morning and doesn't seem to be having issues yet today.... DH says he wants to separate her from the pack add another male to this one and then build a new "pack" around her with some other females and males??? IDK??? He can be Sooo frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want her as stress free as possible!!!!!!!! If that means keeping her as a singleton or with only one other FBT then so be it!!!!!! Uggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Thread Information