Thread: Alternatives to mice and pinkies for Pacman

Default Alternatives to mice and pinkies for Pacman

Okay, so I actually fed my Pudgey a pinky today. I think s/he liked it but I sure as hell feel guilty for feeding it a live pinky.

Problem is frozen feeders are near-impossible to find in my region and expensive as hell to get from the other parts of the country. Any viable alternatives? Guppies and tiny feeder goldfish are on the menu. But what else when Pudgey grows bigger?
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Alternatives to mice and pinkies for Pacman

Try earthworms, silkworms (Bombyx mori) and captive bred hornworms (Manduca sexta). Both are incredibly healthy feeders, high protein, soft bodied... the prior can reach about 3" and the latter about 4" in length. Nutritionally speaking, silkworms are hard to beat for a staple and they also contain the enzyme 'serapeptase' that promotes calcium absorption, reduces inflammation, and reduces arterial plaque in clinical trials.

Do not feed tobacco hornworms from the yard - their host plants are toxic. Only captive bred hornworms fed a lab chow are meant as feeders.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

4. This member thanks JeffreH for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can raise and keep a healthy Pacman frog with a diet of night crawlers or other earthworms, crickets, and Dubia roaches. There is no need to feed vertebrates unless you want to. Fish (goldfish in particular) are parasite vectors. Do remember to dust food with calcium 2x and vitamins 1x weekly on different days with skip day in between. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know why but I find it very difficult to kill a live mammal, no matter how small/pest-related.

Silkworms and hornworms are also near impossible to find in this region as well (Malaysia has a very underdeveloped herpetoculture scene). Earthworms and nightcrawlers, hard to find but I think I may find them at the local bait-shop. Crickets, well, I'm quite sick of them, smelly and they raise a racket in my room. I still have about 5 little feeder fish in the bowl, so I'll just finish them off and then it's dubias and hisser nymphs all the way!
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

Thread Information