Thread: Is this baby Leopard Frog too small to survive?

Duriel

Default Is this baby Leopard Frog too small to survive?

First spotted frog of the warm season snuggling up against my garage last night. I... have a frog hoarding problem. Hasn't been much of an issue, but I found an American Bullfrog this size (about 1" SVL) last year and it died very quickly. In that case, it would seem it didn't spend enough time as a tadpole. I couldn't believe how tiny that bullfrog was. This is the first leopard frog I've seen around here. I've got it set up in a comfortable temporary half/half tank. I'm just curious if it has a chance at life, or, if like the tiny bullfrog, it's some kind of freak of nature and is doomed to die.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is this baby Leopard Frog too small to survive?

Most wild frogs carry some kind of internal parasites or disease that while don't seem to affect them when you find them, when coupled with a compromised immune system from the stress of being brought into captivity can lead to severe increase in symptoms or even death. Make sure to keep him in a quite area with several places to hide inside his tank either fake plants, one of the bark hides, even an over turned flower pot will work. Also cover 3 sides or the tank with a dark background that will help him settle in

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Duriel

Uhhh.. thanks... I guess? I know all this... the question is about the small size of the frog (and extrapolated to a previously caught undersized bullfrog [for clarification, the 4 "healthy sized" ones I caught are still alive and kicking] that was massively undersized and died)... Just saying, your post was most unhelpful and seems to ignore the ... point of my thread.

Nationality
    [United States]

No where in your op did you say anything about 4 healthy frogs. You asked what this one's chance of survival was and comment about another one you caught that died. I don't see what questions you posted in there that I missed. No one can tell you what the chances this frog while survive are based in on this picture and the little blurb you wrote under it, i simply gave my opinion on how to give him the best chance of making the transition, which I apologize if I'm mistaken but is the closest someone can come to answering your question

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Quote Originally Posted by Duriel View Post
    I'm just curious if it has a chance at life, or, if like the tiny bullfrog, it's some kind of freak of nature and is doomed to die.
    A 1" bullfrog isn't a freak of nature, and though on the small side it is still normal. See the chart of metamorph sizes here: Untitled Document and they found new metamorphs ranged from 2.5cm to 5.2cm (1" to 2") with an average length of 3.7cm (~1.5"). It's probably worth pointing out that most of the time the resulting metamorphs end up considerably smaller than the tadpoles they were only a few short weeks ago.

Unfortunately the same website doesn't have info on leopard frogs, but they do have stats on the very similar pickerels: Untitled Document and they are even smaller than bullfrog metamorphs. This agrees with my own anecdotal pond observations of the many leopards I have nearby. So I wouldn't consider the size of a 1" leopard frog to be an impediment to it's survival.

7. 2 members thank UncleChester for this post:

Thread Information