Thread: what type is it?

Default what type is it?

Hi I got Mojo last week, and was wondering exactly what type of pacman it is. Its about as round as a water bottle give or take and was wondering about how old this frog is. I have a heating pad underneath his tank off to one side but Mojo likes it on the cold side for some reason. Will pacmans regulate their own body heat or should I move him closer to the heating pad? Also I can only get this frog to eat pinkies. Here in a day or so Im going to get some worms for this guy and order some roaches. Name:  20130623_171537.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  64.4 KBName:  20130623_184130.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  72.8 KBName:  20130623_184104.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  86.5 KBName:  20130623_184112.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  125.4 KB.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what type is it?

Looks like a High quality brown Ceratophrys cranwelli.

You need to move the heating pad to the side of the tank. These are burrowing frogs and burrow to hide and thermoregulate. The frog will not understand why it cannot cool itself if it burrows over the heat pad.

Hard to guess age because there are many factors that affect growth rate.

Are you feeding it lettuce?

Lol nope. Its for the crickets. I have 5 of them in the tank with Mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Lol nope. Its for the crickets. I have 5 of them in the tank with Mojo.
    Oh good! lol

Little update. Mojo has been going nuts over earthworms. I heard that worms are a good staple food and don't require any type of gut loading. Do I still need to dust with calcium and vitamans? And how do I know when Mojo has had enough worms? Thank you.

Pyxiefan001

Yes to the calcium/vitamins. Use a calcium supplement with D3, I'd say, for your frog's size, twice a week, the vitamins every two weeks - at least that's the regime for adults. Your's probably isn't fully grown but at the size you described certainly isn't a froglet. Never use the two on the same feeding however.

Earthworms (specifically Canadian nightcrawlers) are a great staple food, perhaps the best available. They're the preferred frog food for both me and my Pyxie. As for how much to feed, Frog should stop eating when it's had enough. Otherwise, you can monitor its weight and adjust its intake as needed.

You should feed him pinkies no more often than once a month, if you still wish to.

And if you haven't already move the heating device onto one of the WALLS of the tank. Otherwise undertank heating devices should never be used for these frogs, as they burrow to cool off and will cook themselves.

Nationality
    [United States]

Pyxiefan is spot on!

Nationality
    [United States]

Little update. Mojo has been going nuts over earthworms. I heard that worms are a good staple food and don't require any type of gut loading. Do I still need to dust with calcium and vitamans? And how do I know when Mojo has had enough worms? Thank you.
    Yes, you dust earthworms same as crickets. I rinse them in a little dechlorinated water, pat dry in paper towel, dust, and feed frog. Would feed frog to satiation or until see it is taking time to eat the last worm .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Moved the heating pad to the side of the tank then put that green liner that came with my frog kit on the outside on both sides of the tank for insulation. Mojo just had six q tip sized worms. I dusted 4 of them though because a lot of dust seems to stick to them compared to crickets. I will feed Mojo in two days with more worms and more calcium d3 dust, then two days after that, worms with vitamin dust. Im still tweaking the whole heating/humidity thing, I just have to figure out what works at my location. Thanks for all the help everyone!

What makes a frog "high quality" I'm a newb
    to frogs. I don't really care about quality compaired to health and happiness of the animal I'm raising

Nationality
    [United States]

What makes a frog "high quality" I'm a newb
    to frogs. I don't really care about quality compaired to health and happiness of the animal I'm raising
    Has to do with how good the color quality is of the frog. Like this girl here. She is a High Quality Brown.
    Name:  .facebook_1401311297.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  44.6 KB

Ah ok cool! Also I cleaned Mojo off earlier today and lifted him up to see if Mojo was male or female and turns out Mojo is infact a male! He had those little pink pads on his on his front feet. I'm still having trouble getting his tubs heat and humidity up. I have half the top coved with a gallon size ziplock bag and tape. But the analog gage still reads 60% humidity, and the temp stays at 75. Tomorrow I'm ordering a hygrothem regulator and fogger, so that will cover the humidity. Anyone have any good tips on heating? I need to raise the ambient temperature another 8 degrees, and nothing I try is working. Thanks

Nationality
    [Canada]

nuptial pads are black/very very dark brown, not pink
    temps - most analog gauges are garbage hydrotherm will show you correct temps/humidity. for heating get an infrared lamp.
    that lamp + fogger+ hydrotherm = worry free about humidity and temps life for a human
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Aha! I see now. I saw a few pics of people holding up the bottom of the frog front feet, and mistook the pink pads for naptial pads.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Name:  DSC03672.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  63.4 KB that dark spot on a thumb is what you're looking for
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Where did you get it?

There is a small pet shop in town where I live in Georgia.

Thread Information