Thread: Heating and lighting question

Wendy

Default Heating and lighting question

Hi,

Ive had my three Australian tree frogs since October and this is my first winter with them. The bulb has gone and need to replace it but wanted to check before I got another one that I have the right ones. I have TWO repti glo 2.0 UVB lamps over an Exo Terra 60x45x45cm (24x18x18 inch) terrarium. Is this the right strength and type?

Also do I need any separate heating now its winter.

Temps 70-75 (gets colder at night)
    Humidity 70%
    They eat crickets (dusted)and occasional meal worms. But I feed them by letting the crickets into the terrarium so find it hard to see who is eating what. I've been thinking of doing it a different way, any thoughts. They have always slept behind the water fountain or under the plants during the day and are active at night. Just recently though I've noticed they aren't as active, is this something that happens as it gets to winter or should I be worried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to go and get the new bulb asap.
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heating and lighting question

Hello Wendy! The temperatures you are running (70-75) are too cold for your frog, which requires 85F for daytime (Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea). That is probable reason why frogs are inactive.

You can feed crickets from a small glass bowl. The pyrex ones with little side handles work good since crockets do not jump out and the frogs can sit on handle area to eat.

To raise temperature you can use an infrared lamp or a ceramic heat emitter (longer life) in dome fixture. To control it you will need a manual rheostat or automatic thermostat. If your room is too cold might need to supplement that with a heat mat affixed to enclosure side. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Wendy

Default Re: Heating and lighting question

Thanks,
    Since posting last I have bought a heat mat and temps are much higher now. I keep it on 24hours and closely monitoring the humidity now its warmer in there. They seem really happy with the changes ive made as they have a different type of substrate now like a carpet/astro turf. It's not though, I got it from the pet shop but not sure what its called. Ive got them a new hollow branch too and they love hiding in there.
    It's funny how a few simple changes make for happier frogs.

Thread Information