Thread: White's Tree Frog Not Eating

tje11

Default White's Tree Frog Not Eating

While I was away at work, earlier this week, my White's Tree Frog terrarium had fallen off of the shelf it was on (what appeared to by a sturdy shelf had collapsed) and shattered into a million pieces. Once I got home, I quickly tried to find my frog, who I discovered was hiding under his flipped water bowl. He doesn't appear to be injured.

I went to the store and bought him a new tank and assembled it with substrate and other items. I put the tank in a very secure place, however since that day (about 4 days ago), I can't get him to eat. I've tried both hand feeding and putting crickets in his tank, but no luck. Is my frog possibly sick or maybe still recovering from the shock of the tank collapsing?

I keep a light on him during the day at (about 80 degrees) and turn it off at night (goes down to about 73-75 degrees). I spray the inside of the tank often with water to keep the humidity levels around 80%. His substrate is coco bark.

Does anyone have any advice for my little guy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog Not Eating

Sorry for the lack of replies.

From what I can tell, it sounds like your frog is very stressed out and shocked from the experience, as well as from the transfer to a completely new tank. Also, he may have taken internal injuries from the fall. If your temporary tank does not have an aquarium wallpaper, buy one (a preferably forest one) and cover the back and sides with it. It will help reduce stress. Leaves and plants, things to hide behind, will also reduce stress.

Also, I would recommend switching from coco bark to coconut fiber. If a large piece of bark is accidentally eaten during feeding it can cause impaction, and at this point another problem is the last thing you need.

Offer him small crickets (leaving larger ones that have jaws in with an already frightened frog is not a good idea). You could try placing in a bowl that's inescapable and placing the crickets in it, so you will know if he's eaten any or not.

If he doesn't eat soon, you may want to consider taking him to an Exotic Vet for help. I can also contact more experienced members of this forum to help you out.

Keep us posted.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [Canada]

sorry nobody replied sooner, my city is right now under state of emergency due to worst flood the city has ever seen, so I'm not around too often here.

anyhow, Caspian is right, a frog is still recovering after it's stress + adapting to his new home. would you please answer to all "trouble in the enclosure" questions, so we'd get the whole picture.
    not eating for 4 days after such experience he had is pretty normal I'd say, but you're right in worrying about it. right now the question is if he was injured in anyway. does he have any visible injuries? does he behave any different from what he used to before the fall, any changes in his color at all? did he poop after the fall?
    it not directly has anything to do with the fact he is not eating but yes coco bark is no good, you need coco fiber. coco bark has a high impaction risk if swallowed as well as based on my experience bark doesn't hold humidity as well as fine coco fiber does.
    can't say much more, please post your answers to "trouble" questions, and we can go from there.
    i must say I'm very happy you find the frog and it ended the way it did.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

tje11

So sorry for my delayed response. It's been a busy week for me!

The good news is that my frog buddy (Jerry) has got his appetite back! I put a bowl and a couple crickets in his enclosure during the night and I saw him eat both of them

He has no visible injuries on him and looks pretty healthy. I'd like to add that I meant to say "coco fiber" in my original post, not "coco bark". The stuff is makes a great substrate!

Also, please be safe Lija! The floods look absolutely horrible

Nationality
    [Canada]

thank you

it seems yours is one of these happy ending stories! very happy for you and your frog! thank you for update!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information