Thread: Toadlets....now what?

Mmfh

Default Toadlets....now what?

I have two toadlets. One has a tail and one does not. They are currently in a sloped cage with about 1/4" to 1/2" of water on one end. The entire bottom is covered with brown napkins (could not find brown paper towels). There is a hide and at the non water end is a strip of soil containing springtails. Three sides are covered with paper as is half the top to help them feel secure. Two are constantly climbing the sides. (One with a tail and the one without a tail) Should I just ignore this behavior? Should I move the one without a tail to a small cage with moist coco fiber? Can the one with a tail be put on coco fiber or should it stay in the cage with water? I'm sorry for these newbie questions. This is the first time I have tried raising toads from tadpoles and my learning curve so far is horrible. I do not know if they are eating yet but I have also been putting a few fruit flies in as well so they have something to eat when they are hungry. Another option would be to add more springtails laced coco fiber on top of the wet napkins. Am I worrying too much?? Lol. Thank you.
    here are two pics, yes I know there is a third toad in there but it just sits in the water and is not using all its energy to climb.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toadlets....now what?

Hello, wow those are tiny guys. If they are climbing, you can move them to small covered cage with shredded coco fiber (damp so it clumps in fist but no water squeezes out) for substrate and a small water dish with dechlorinated water to their chin level. Can feed tiny stuff and increase food size to distance between eyes as frog grows.

Sure they are toadlets? What is their source? If that guy climbed up the plastic wall by himself and has padded toes, might be Grey froglets .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Tiny toadlets can climb walls if they are wet. They are so light weight they just climb the water so you'll need a lid. Fruit flies are a great food source along with springtails at this stage, remember to dust with calcium and multivitamins, alternating the days you do this on. Do NOT use them together. Keep using damp unbleached paper towels or napkins for a few weeks until they are eating pinhead crickets or newly hatched red runner roaches. Even though the bottom is damp, still give them a tiny swallow dish of declorinated water to sit in. Just make sure that they can get in and out with no problems. If you use a plastic bottle cap for the dish, make sure the edges are smooth and not rough so they don't cut their delicate belly skin. I've gone through this stage several times and when given a healthy environment, they will grow quickly.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

5. This member thanks kueluck for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Toadlets....now what?

Yep, I'd recommend the same ^. They grow pretty quickly. It's neat to watch their colors and patterns develop.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Mmfh

Their source is a pond out in the wilderness. I thought they were toads because they were black as tadpoles. They are so small right now that I am unable to discern any patterns lol but one is darkly colored and one is kind of yellow. They are nerve wrackingly small!! I am using the lid of a cake icing container as a water dish, it is the perfect depth for them. I put a tiny clump of damp moss in with them as it gives the fruit flies something to congregate on instead of running around all over. I have to admit I was surprised at how well the fruit flies did when dusted with calcium. Given their small size I was sure that it would be a disaster lol but it was almost easier then dusting crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yup, they're toads then if the tads were black. Keep posting pictures so we can see their growth. Man I love toads!! You could also add some branches or small logs for them to climb on, they do enjoy that.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Thread Information