Thread: American Toad Age?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default American Toad Age?

So, this is my female American Toad Lola. I've had her for a year now, but I don't know her age. Can you guys figure out by this picture? (By the way, she is 2 inches, from snout to back end)Name:  PIC_0089.jpg
Views: 2656
Size:  68.3 KBName:  PIC_0090.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  81.9 KBName:  PIC_0006.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  77.3 KB
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: American Toad Age?

Has she grown at all since you got her? Banjo was 1.25in at the end of Sept '12 and she's more than doubled in size (and fat) since then. So I would say mine is probably about a year old. 2in is a little on the small side for a female, but not unheard of. If she's still growing, or recently stopped, she's likely under 3. That's just a guess, based on not much of anything except that's about the age they become sexually mature. Regardless, she's adorable.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

When I got her she was a tiny bit bigger than toadlet size. Ever since then (One Year) she has grown an inch and a half making her two inches. But I was also guessing she was one year old because she didn't lay any eggs this spring. I dunno, maybe since they didn't get fertilized she absorbed them back into her body.
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't think they lay eggs unless they have a fairly large body of water, like a kiddy pool. As far as I know, they reabsorb them most times. But a year is a little too young to be gravid. My Banjo is still growing a little, but I doubt she'll get much bigger. Hasn't been gravid yet. Congrats tho, it's awesome to watch them grow up.

*just measured Banjo and she's just shy of 3in. still looks like the tiny thing she used to be to me. i used to feed her way more than i do now. when i 1st got her she was too stressed to eat so when i found something she liked, i'd just give her as much as she wanted. and semi-recently she went through another growth spurt, shedding more than usual. had me worried, cuz they don't want to eat before a shed, but cut that out eventually. she shed this morning, then ate an earthworm so thought it'd be a good time to measure. very proud of her. last time i measured was maybe April (?) and she was about 2.5in.
    Last edited by yoshimi; June 24th, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

When I first caught my toad she was already to go and eat something. But, toads have their own little personalty! :P
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Thread Information