Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my young pacman not eating ?? Please help is this normal based on the questions on the enclosure i answered?

chefrobert

Default Why is my young pacman not eating ?? Please help is this normal based on the questions on the enclosure i answered?

Its been about almost two weeks since he has ate!!! He was eating like crazy for about two weeks then he just stopped ?? He is also not buried he is just buried a little bit hiding behind a fake plant Is that normal, my other pacman I have in a smaller separate tank eats everyday??

1. Size of enclosure- 5 gallon
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences -1 only him
    3. Humidity - 60 to 80 %
    4. Temperature day 80 to 85 night time 78 degrees
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish- decholranated water in a bowl changed daily, misting 2 to 3 times
    6. Materials used for substrate- coco fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.- fake plants, only live plant
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source- crickets dusting with cal and vitamins 2 x a weeks
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) 2 x a week
    10. Lighting Uvb 12 hour cycle
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- side of the tank heating pad and uvb
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately- 2 weeks ago
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog- my guess 3 months tops
    16. How long have you owned him/her- 1 month
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred- captive breed
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats- only crickets tried earthworms didnt eat them
    19. How often the frog is handled- 1 time a week
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area- low traffic
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc), Just cleaned the tank yesterday, water bowl daily

Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  52.5 KBName:  IMG_0300.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  77.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [France]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Why is my young pacman not eating ?? Please help is this normal based on the questions on the enclosure i answered?

Do you have a picture of the enclosure and of the frog ?
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

chefrobert

Default Re: Why is my young pacman not eating ?? Please help is this normal based on the questions on the enclosure i answered?

Pictures added

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by chefrobert View Post
    Pictures added
    Get rid of the UVB light. It is unecessary and probably causing stress. You also need to cover 3 sides of the tank with some kind of natural background for added security.

Did you dechlorinate the water used for expanding the substrate?

chefrobert

Yes of course I am using de chlorinated water for the coco fiber, Why was he eating before with the uvb light then??

chefrobert

Anybody??

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I only have one pacman frog so I'm no expert but I find that when I used to handle him he wouldn't eat for the next few days so don't handle it so much. Also like grif said you should get rid of the uv light because light stresses mine and he will only eat at night. They can go a while without food. Mine is wierd and sometimes only eats once in a period of two weeks and at other times he will eat every day

chefrobert

thanks bud

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes of course I am using de chlorinated water for the coco fiber, Why was he eating before with the uvb light then??
    UVB radiation is used in reptiles to produce Vitamin D3 to help metabolize calcium to bone. These frogs are nocturnal and therefore do not get exposed to sunlight. They remain burrowed in the forest floor only exposing the head at night to ambush unwary prey that wonders by. They are adapted to get Vitamin D3 another way making UVB unecessary. There is no full proof evidence that UVB assists frogs in the way that it does for reptiles.

That light is too much for such a small enclosure anyway. Their effective range is 12" and is definitely much to bright for the frog's nocturnal eyes. If you intent to use a light use incandescent rather than fluorescent that is 50 watts or less and use a lamp with a dimmer switch so that you can accurately adjust the amount of light and heat with produced by the bulb. Sometimes it takes a day or so for something to irritate the frog.

chefrobert

is 85 to 88 too hot during the day for a pacman??

Nationality
    [United States]

is 85 to 88 too hot during the day for a pacman??
    In captivity yes. 80° to 82° is ideal for daytime temp. 76° to 78° at night.

chefrobert

Thanks I appreciate it Griff it,, So do you think the UVB has prevented him from eating?? or is it just a phase??

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks I appreciate it Griff it,, So do you think the UVB has prevented him from eating?? or is it just a phase??
    First sign of stress is that they stop eating. Remove the UVB light and see if he begins to eat once again in a day or so. Keep temps in the range I suggested and keep humidity in the 75% to 80% range. They do occationally go through phases where they will eat less often, but not normally for extended periods unless aestivating.

chefrobert

will do

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    There is no full proof evidence that UVB assists frogs in the way that it does for reptiles.
    it is actually, I've read a few studies on it, but there is a differentiation in different species in terms of UVB need. Some frogs are adapted (same with reptiles actually) to live in very low to non existent UVB presence, thus don't need UVB at all, but for other frogs UVB is a must. Try to keep waxies without UVB ( at least 5.0) and you'll have a brown and soon after that dead waxy. BUT Pacmans are ones of those who don't need UVB.

Robert you got an excellent advice! have nothing to add other then feed him about 30 min after lights are off and temp down, as it is when they usually go hunt in a wild more or less. how big is a frog?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    it is actually, I've read a few studies on it, but there is a differentiation in different species in terms of UVB need. Some frogs are adapted (same with reptiles actually) to live in very low to non existent UVB presence, thus don't need UVB at all, but for other frogs UVB is a must. Try to keep waxies without UVB ( at least 5.0) and you'll have a brown and soon after that dead waxy. BUT Pacmans are ones of those who don't need UVB.

Robert you got an excellent advice! have nothing to add other then feed him about 30 min after lights are off and temp down, as it is when they usually go hunt in a wild more or less. how big is a frog?
    Most frogs benefit from 4 to 6 hours of UVB per day, but like you said it is species specific. I would assume that it is the diurnal species that truely benefit from this exposure.

A Waxy Monkey Frog should not actually be harmed. Since they sit in the trees exposed to direct sunlight protecting themselves by coating themselves in the wax like secretion they coat their bodies with. Of course maybe something is lacking in captivity that does not allow them to fully produce what is needed to block the harmful radiation.

chefrobert

I have done everything that is suggested and my pacman is still not eating

Nationality
    [United States]

I have done everything that is suggested and my pacman is still not eating
    It takes time for the frog to adjust to the new changes. Once the frog adjusts it should begin to eat.

chefrobert

Today he actually looks more relaxed he is not hiding behind a fake plant he is out in the open just a little burrowed. I gave him a warm soak in de chlorinated water for 15 minutes with a drop of pedialite in it. I did the 10 to 1 ratio. he looks good i think he will start eating

Nationality
    [United States]

Today he actually looks more relaxed he is not hiding behind a fake plant he is out in the open just a little burrowed. I gave him a warm soak in de chlorinated water for 15 minutes with a drop of pedialite in it. I did the 10 to 1 ratio. he looks good i think he will start eating
    1 drop??? It is supposed to be 1 ounce Unflavored Pedialyte to 10 ounces of water then you pour a bath no deeper than up to the frog's chin and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. When Honey baths are done you measure the honey in drops.

Glad that he looks more relaxed and secure now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information