Thread: Anyone here have Cane Toads?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Anyone here have Cane Toads?

I never seem to see many threads about cane toads. I was wondering if anyone else had any because I have many questions about mine that I can't find answers to. For example what sex is mine? And why does it sometimes turn a light colour and turn moist at the same time? Is this because its sloughing its skin or too hot? Anyway who here has a cane toad?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. This member thanks Truffs1178 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demon amphibians

Default Re: Anyone here have Cane Toads?

I have two cane toads. the males are smaller and tend to be a solid dark color. My female looks a lot like yours she is much lighter then the male with more pattern. when your toad gets lighter and moist it could mean that it just shed. Mine just shed a few days ago and that is exactly how i would discribe her. They eat their skin so you wont find it around the tank as you would a lizard. I want more of them. I actually want to breed them but i lack the space required.

I have 1 female cane toad named Bubba,when they shed they skin color will turn lighter for a day or a few hours,your cane toad is a girl since she is a dark color.

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoadgirl View Post
    I have 1 female cane toad named Bubba,when they shed they skin color will turn lighter for a day or a few hours,your cane toad is a girl since she is a dark color.

I read that the males were darker in color with less pattern. either way the one that i suspect is a female is twice the as the darker one. when i got them they were both the same size. I am still learning a lot about these guys. One is larger then my american bullfrog yet it will not even attempt to eat large sized prey like the american bullfrog will. The smaller the prey the more interested they seem. they even shy away from adult dubia at times. Dont get me wrong i have gotten them to eat small mice and even large hissers. But they like smaller bugs more.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Anyone here have Cane Toads?

Hi Truffs,

Any idea of how old your toad is? Once they reach about 4 months of age males will be able to start croaking, especially on a good rainy day. They can sense the barometric pressure changes of springtime and rain and will want to call for a mate.

Croaking and nuptial pads on the thumbs are sure signs of a male. She looks pretty big. Females are larger than males. I would guess you have a pretty female .

How big is she from snout to vent in inches?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks you guys. I was hoping for a female since they get bigger.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

It turning the light colour and becoming moist is definitely it sloughing because I spotted it eating its shed skin and it was showing those funny symptoms. Now I'm relieved. I thought it was getting to hot or something.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I only just saw this and yes I agree. My cane toad won't go after anything larger than a locust or Dubia but my african bullfrog is a beast and isn't afraid of anything.

Amphibious1

• Name:  image.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  67.8 KBI have 2, both recent acquisitions about 4 months ago , one from a reputable dealer, one from not so much...both are originally from Surinam, where the native variety seem to grow the largest.
    • acclimation is not easy, I have had 5 others in the past, and learned a lot since. Finally eating after several treatments of Flagyl and Panacur , but very picky.....Karen (in the pic)is up from 685 gms to 1 kg finally!
    • i agree that the stories of 4 pounders are BS.
    • here is her xray from her vet check
    Attached Images Attached Images   

dragonfry

Cane toads are loose in florida where i live and are considered a pest. They eat our native oak and wood toads and have poisoned many a dog. While i find them very interesting, i can not allow them to romp in my yard due to the fact i own dogs.
    But i have captured them for educational purposes because i train with a local dog training club. So i take the canes in for people to see what a live cane toad looks like. And if i get lucky enough to locate a native toad i can bring it in for comparison.
    For a toad they are pretty personable. Shame they were introduced to this area.

Also male canes have a splotchie patten on their underbellies much more then females and they have a dark bruised colored throat area. Both will churp when held if they don't like it.

maxQ

I have been contemplating a Cane Toad, my local Reptile Store has two, but the size kinda intimidates me and I hear they eat a butt load....are they friendly?

I have a friend that claims that he has gotten a worse bite from his Cane Toad than any of his snakes.

Amphibious1

No, I hear they can be, but of the seven I've had, all have been rather timid. Of the two ginormous ones I have now,One will finally eat in front of me, one won't. They live in a 48 sq. foot enclosure that needs frequent cleaning as they produce a tremendous amount of waste. Miss a few days cleaning and it smells like the elephant house at the zoo.

all need worming and Protozoa treatment x2 or 3after you receive them or you'll have problems.

i maintain dubia roach colonies for feeding and they stopped eating super worms. Never saw one eat dog food either.....

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious1 View Post
    No, I hear they can be, but of the seven I've had, all have been rather timid. Of the two ginormous ones I have now,One will finally eat in front of me, one won't. They live in a 48 sq. foot enclosure that needs frequent cleaning as they produce a tremendous amount of waste. Miss a few days cleaning and it smells like the elephant house at the zoo.

all need worming and Protozoa treatment x2 or 3after you receive them or you'll have problems.

i maintain dubia roach colonies for feeding and they stopped eating super worms. Never saw one eat dog food either.....
    Yeh I heard they are high maintenance.

demon amphibians

They are actually very low maintenance. However you will most likely not find a Cb cane toad. With this said you must treat for parasites and other natural born diseases when you first receive them as you would with any wild caught amphib. Once you have done this you should still keep a first aid kit on hand. Even store bought feeders harbor parasites which i am dealing with right now, thanks to a very reputable company which i will not name at this time. Cane toads are extremely resilient to many situations. But that does not excuse improper care. They are not aggressive what so ever. They are indeed very timid. And i have found that is does take some time for them to warm up to you. Even though they are known as pest in many areas they do make a fantastic pet. They do eat a lot. I have seen them eat plants and dog food but i do not like to feed those items to them based of their nature. I love this species because they are extremely adaptable to survive in the worst climates man has created. It is a know fact that they will be the last amphibian species to survive our horrible polluted way of life and for that i think this species should be considered one of natures most beautiful creations. If anyone wants to get rid of them and considers them pests I will pay for shipping and give them a loving home.

maxQ

Is there a difference between a Cane Toad and a Marine Toad? My Local Rep Store has Marine Toads for sale. Do they like to be paired or are they good alone?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by maxQ View Post
    Is there a difference between a Cane Toad and a Marine Toad? My Local Rep Store has Marine Toads for sale. Do they like to be paired or are they good alone?
    No, Rhinella marina has a few common names to include Cane Toad, Marine Toad, Giant Toad, and Giant Neotropical Toad .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tongue Flicker

I used to keep a small one but toad eyes really freaks me out. I released it after 3 months. It was feeding well on superworms.

I saw a couple of these toads by the seashore as well. Can they tolerate salt in the sand?

Thread Information