Thread: Please Help - are my frogs too cold?

Wendy

Unhappy Please Help - are my frogs too cold?

Hi,
    I'm having a bit of a melt down as im afraid my Green Tree frogs' are getting too cold at night. I'm in perth and our winter is setting in. They have no heating as such but a double light canopy with two repti glo 2.0 UVB lamps. This is only on during the day and when I got up this morning their temp was showing as 67 deg.

If this is too cold (and I think it is) how would I go about heating them at night? This is my first winter with them.

I have 3 green tree frogs
    Exo terra 24x18x18inch terrarium
    They have a water fountain and large water bowl
    Their substrate is stones (not small, so they dont eat them)
    They eat gut loaded crickets (dusted)

Name:  DSCF2966.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  102.0 KB Name:  DSCF2967.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  127.4 KB Name:  DSCF2968.jpg
Views: 2751
Size:  98.2 KB

Please, any help would be greatly received. I did ask at my local pet shop but I felt they were just trying to sell me what they had, and not necessarily what was right for my frogs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

aegillesp

Default Re: Please Help - are my frogs too cold?

I have an 18x18x24 and I use a heating pad (small) on the bottom corner where I keep a water dish so they can sit in warm water and I use a Ceramic heat lamp (65W) and my temps maintain around 75-85 degrees fahrenheit. I know it's supposed to go down at night, but I leave it the same. The warmer side is 85 and the other is about 70-75 depending on top or bottom of tank.

4. This member thanks aegillesp for this post:

Wendy

I've just gone out this morning and bought a heat mat to put in and I am going to change from the stones in the bottom because of the heat mat. I've also got a new thermometer to hopefully get more accurate temp readings. My other one wasnt digital. Hopefully this will be enough to have happy frogs again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Please Help - are my frogs too cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
    Hi,
    I'm having a bit of a melt down as im afraid my Green Tree frogs' are getting too cold at night. I'm in perth and our winter is setting in. They have no heating as such but a double light canopy with two repti glo 2.0 UVB lamps. This is only on during the day and when I got up this morning their temp was showing as 67 deg.

If this is too cold (and I think it is) how would I go about heating them at night? This is my first winter with them.

I have 3 green tree frogs
    Exo terra 24x18x18inch terrarium
    They have a water fountain and large water bowl
    Their substrate is stones (not small, so they dont eat them)
    They eat gut loaded crickets (dusted)

Name:  DSCF2966.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  102.0 KB Name:  DSCF2967.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  127.4 KB Name:  DSCF2968.jpg
Views: 2751
Size:  98.2 KB

Please, any help would be greatly received. I did ask at my local pet shop but I felt they were just trying to sell me what they had, and not necessarily what was right for my frogs.
    Hi Wendy,

Yes, 67'F is too cold as a persistent temp or day time temp. Day time temp should be in the upper 70's. Place the matt on the outside of the tank. You can also use a 50watt red heat bulb in an adjustable dome lamp on the top of the tank. Be sure to mist more often as the heat lamp will dry the tank more.

http://www.frogforum.net/content/gre...ria-aurea-132/
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

7. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Wendy

Im so happy today. The new heat mat is in and ive got a new flooring that is like astro turf. It's not though, I got it from the pet shop, but not sure what its official name is. Ive put some large stones over the bit where the heat mat is so they will hold the temp better. I only did it this afternoon and my three seem happier already!
    I'll wait a few days then post my temps and humidity readings to see what you guys think.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Please Help - are my frogs too cold?

Sounds good. Be sure to clean out your matt monthly with super hot water to prevent bacterial growth.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information