Thread: I made it to one year!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default I made it to one year!

I never would have thought that watching 2 little tadpoles turn into frogs would have sparked this obsession with frogs! Last year in June I brought Shrek and Fiona home from the pet store. After many trials and errors I am happy to say that Shrek is still with me and is getting along nicely with his two room mates Skitter and Olive (I got them in August 2012). I never would have thought that these little creatures would have enriched my life as much as they have. Everyday is still a learning experience. I can't believe I kept one alive let alone 3 for this long!

I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone here on this forum. Everyone is kind and very helpful, offering advise without scolding and when Fiona died everyone was sympathetic. I don't think my friends and family really understand why I love these creatures so much, so it's nice to have somewhere to come where nobody thinks you are crazy!

Hopefully, I'm here next year talking about my 2 year anniversary!
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

2. This member thanks Sasha for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: I made it to one year!

The ones that started it!

Name:  IMG_2122.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  116.6 KBName:  IMG_2123.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  98.9 KBName:  IMG_2134.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  77.7 KBName:  IMG_2135.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  86.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

The gang today!

Name:  IMG_3687.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  122.8 KBName:  IMG_3689.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  88.4 KBName:  IMG_3690.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  76.8 KBName:  IMG_3692.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  66.1 KB

and the frogs led to this:

Name:  IMG_3679.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  121.7 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol i know exactly what you are talking about one frog led to another, and the story goes on and on and on, until one day you look around and realize you gotta charge people for entering your basement lol

your guys are so pretty, all of them, and you know that is a reason majority of us is here, people here understand you, they don't question if you are crazy to truly love frogs, they'd help if needed and you in return can help others as a giving back. I can say community here is so different from any other I've been to, usually message boards don't hold my interest for long, that one is exception.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I know I feel like I need to charge people to come over. Now looking at all my old pictures I'm getting that itch for another baby animal of some sort!

Thanks for the compliment. I still look at them in amazement because they are so beautiful and they have little personalities. Shrek is my little shadow, she follows my voice and my movement so much that sometimes she doesn't eat because she's watching me! Skitter will sit and stare at the side of the tank all night, I don't know if she sees the fogger light or if she is watching the Beta fish on the other side of the desk. I still don't know for sure if Olive is a boy or a girl. She will call every now and then for about a minute now. Some days the neck looks huge and other days it looks normal.

This forum has set the bar high for others. When we got Dexter (the beardie) I spent so much time trying to find a forum that was welcoming and found nothing. I finally found one that is good but still feel like I get scolded by the more experienced members.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default I made it to one year!

Hi Sasha,

I remember the days of your babies growing up. I can hardly believe how tiny they were. You've become a great frog parent .

It's funny how "weird" people think you are when you talk about your frogs. It often becomes the topic of conversation at work. I am the frog woman to them, lol! But then they start asking questions and realize how amazing they can be. So many different species, and colors, and you're right, personalities. Not one of mine acts the same of the others.

Great photos!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

OMG guys, I just re-read what I wrote...I totally forgot one important thing! I'm such a dork, I had a migraine last night so I was a little medicated and over edited my original post!

The tadpoles were a gift from one of my bosses I had them for about a month before they turned into two little unknown frogs. After a week of trying to feed the tiny frogs fruit flies, they died. It was sad but I was completely hooked. Since I already had a few supplies to keep frogs we went out and bought 2 WTF's (Fiona and Shrek I). It's funny though because I don't really think they've grown a lot but then I look back at their pictures and see that yeah, they were pretty small. I think it's because I see them on a daily basis, I don't realize how much they've grown.

I've become the frog/reptile person now. One of my coworkers was trying to get me a volunteer job at the zoo. As fun as that would be, there is just no time.I find that older people are more receptive and want to know more about them but surprisingly the kids I've come in contact with don't really care. It's kinda disappointing.

aegillesp

Congrats on your one year!! I'm going to be anxious once Laputa hits her 1 year. I've already gotten to the 5 month mark and 3 out of those 5 were so difficult and phew, everyone made it through OK. Getting Laputa made me a reptile lover and I too also have 2 tree frogs (not whites, but American Greens) and a beardie who turned out to be a moma's Boy. I was thinking about getting an anole too... I'm hoping the new AGTF I got is a male and I get some tadpoles. Congrats all around though!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by aegillesp View Post
    Congrats on your one year!! I'm going to be anxious once Laputa hits her 1 year. I've already gotten to the 5 month mark and 3 out of those 5 were so difficult and phew, everyone made it through OK. Getting Laputa made me a reptile lover and I too also have 2 tree frogs (not whites, but American Greens) and a beardie who turned out to be a moma's Boy. I was thinking about getting an anole too... I'm hoping the new AGTF I got is a male and I get some tadpoles. Congrats all around though!!
    Glad everyone made it through okay. It really feels good to look back on all the trials and errors and see that I was able to keep something alive for so long that I knew nothing about! Frogs and reptiles seem to go hand in hand. The frogs made us look at geckos that made us look at the bearded dragon. Our beardie is such a little character, I don't know why we didn't get one before! She's a spoiled brat!

Thread Information