Thread: Eco earth headache

rjm2653

Default Eco earth headache

I have a 20 gal setup with eco earth, gravel underneath for drainage and a large in ground water bowl. Does eco earth really have to be change every 2 weeks or so like Petco said? and if so, whats the easy way to do that? Because I do have all live plants

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Eco earth headache

The Eco earth works pretty good, I have adult pacmans in 10gal tanks and an subadult African bull frog in a 10 gal....I change their substrate about once a month...I do spray down the Eco earth every couple of days and look for and remove any fecal matter....The urine is something you can't see, and that's one thing that always concerns me...I don't want them sitting in their own waste!.....So I give them a luke warm soaking twice a week, just before feeding....and sometimes they defecate in the water (which I want). That's how I try to keep the tanks clean.
    Maybe you can scoop out sections of Eco earth and workaround the plants? I like your idea of a more natural setting but the maintenance is pretty high....My tanks are pretty simple, Eco earth and a large water dish. I can understand your problem dealing with a 20 gal tank....Not the easiest thing to want to move around....But to get to the root of your question.....Unless you have an eating machine that defecates like crazy and urinates like a drunken sailor, I think two weeks is a little much. I've also found that when I change their substrate it takes them a day or two to get acclimated to their "new" home....And for you to do two week changes, your frog will always be "settling in." But, that's just my opinion.
    Oh, one positive thing I've noticed over the months........when I give them their biweekly soaking, they KNOW they're going to eat when I put them back in their tank. Makes tong feeding even easier....
    Good luck with your frog......

Lloyd

IAmBored

You could try use paper towels way easier , but not very natural.

rjm2653

Quote Originally Posted by IAmBored View Post
    You could try use paper towels way easier , but not very natural.
    Anyone have any other ideas on how to best clean it. Especially with the live plants, is it even safe to uproot them once a month? and i dont wana lose some of my gravel by scooping up eco earth when i do clean it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Only need to change substrate once a month. I have live pothos in with my pacman and it does just fine with being uprooted every month. Even out grew the tank so I was able to clip it to start a new plant for another tank in the future. Put down a layer of weed blocker (that black papery stuff) over your gravel and your eco earth on top of that

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

rjm2653

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    Only need to change substrate once a month. I have live pothos in with my pacman and it does just fine with being uprooted every month. Even out grew the tank so I was able to clip it to start a new plant for another tank in the future. Put down a layer of weed blocker (that black papery stuff) over your gravel and your eco earth on top of that

Too late since ive already done the setup but great idea thank you

Nationality
    [United States]

Well the next time you change out the substrate just throw down some weed blocker before adding new. First change might be a pain, separating gravel out of eco earth is very tedious

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Thread Information