Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions Please

Default Re: Opinions Please

He has a thread on this topic right here: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...on-sexing.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by Eridu Serpent View Post
    I know people will disagree but I think it is female, I have been studying their shapes and found that females have a rounded bottom.
    males tend to have a slightly protruding spine bone and pointy bottom.
    Also I think the head to body ratio is too small.
    I think your bully is a very large female.

Sorry to disagree with others!
    The last picture shows a 100% male. I remembered your thread, and have actually taken into consideration your theory when it comes to sexing. It would be nice if it was proven to be true, but we've already seen inconsistencies (Grif's ABF for example). I believe this is just a physical trait, and does not hold true when it comes to 100% identifying sex. A perfect example would be coloration, it was previously assumed a male ABF would have yellow/orange colors under its armpits and throat, thus proving 100% it's a male. We have all learned this is not true.

Another aspect to consider would be how the frog is 'posing' in the picture. In a picture it can be protruding its tail bone thus making it look like a "skinny/thin bottomed animal." If it shifts or sits another way in a picture this can suck in its tailbone appearing like a "round bottomed animal." So unless you are observing said frog in person it's almost impossible to correctly sex by this theory.

Eridu Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    The last picture shows a 100% male. I remembered your thread, and have actually taken into consideration your theory when it comes to sexing. It would be nice if it was proven to be true, but we've already seen inconsistencies (Grif's African Bullfrog for example). I believe this is just a physical trait, and does not hold true when it comes to 100% identifying sex. A perfect example would be coloration, it was previously assumed a male African Bullfrog would have yellow/orange colors under its armpits and throat, thus proving 100% it's a male. We have all learned this is not true.

Another aspect to consider would be how the frog is 'posing' in the picture. In a picture it can be protruding its tail bone thus making it look like a "skinny/thin bottomed animal." If it shifts or sits another way in a picture this can suck in its tailbone appearing like a "round bottomed animal." So unless you are observing said frog in person it's almost impossible to correctly sex by this theory.

Personally I have found it better to sex them with this method when very young, as most come from the breeders slightly under weight it also better to wait after a week of feeding a good food to them.
    As they get older the theory depends on how well they are fed as very underweight ones also get the spine bone showing more.
    But I have found it to be a good way, I have been doing some tests with the importer who I got mine from.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

... Another aspect to consider would be how the frog is 'posing' in the picture. In a picture it can be protruding its tail bone thus making it look like a "skinny/thin bottomed animal." If it shifts or sits another way in a picture this can suck in its tailbone appearing like a "round bottomed animal." So unless you are observing said frog in person it's almost impossible to correctly sex by this theory.
    This is a possible reason why it's working for Eridu and not others. Having the frog in person can provide many visual clues and multi-angled views, hence greatly improving the chance of accurate sexing.

For example, I can sex Central American cichlids in a tank when quite young; but it's a guessing game from a 2 dimensional pic with no venting, fish movement or interaction among them.

If a super-female like Eridu states, and fertile, OP's got quite a treasure. Would wait to see if Griff's male grows to maybe 9-10 in. and formulate a plan to cross them. He, he, he, just dreaming of a selectively bred 14 in. GABF in couple generations .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by Eridu Serpent View Post
    Personally I have found it better to sex them with this method when very young, as most come from the breeders slightly under weight it also better to wait after a week of feeding a good food to them.
    As they get older the theory depends on how well they are fed as very underweight ones also get the spine bone showing more.
    But I have found it to be a good way, I have been doing some tests with the importer who I got mine from.

I'm not doubting you at all. It would just take more than a few frogs to sex at a young age accurately to prove your theory. There's always a 50% chance you will be right, so it would take numbers.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not doubting you at all. It would just take more than a few frogs to sex at a young age accurately to prove your theory. There's always a 50% chance you will be right, so it would take numbers.
    This is correct. You would need several hundred or even thousands in order to prove that the tail bone theory is a solid method for sexing them, but if it were a viable method I'm sure that those who study these frogs on a day to day basis would have already know n and hence forth published the information. I have never seen any articles or studies that mention the tail bone as a method for sexing.

I still don't see it as a viable method at this point.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    This is a possible reason why it's working for Eridu and not others. Having the frog in person can provide many visual clues and multi-angled views, hence greatly improving the chance of accurate sexing.

For example, I can sex Central American cichlids in a tank when quite young; but it's a guessing game from a 2 dimensional pic with no venting, fish movement or interaction among them.

If a super-female like Eridu states, and fertile, OP's got quite a treasure. Would wait to see if Griff's male grows to maybe 9-10 in. and formulate a plan to cross them. He, he, he, just dreaming of a selectively bred 14 in. GABF in couple generations .
    If he reaches 10"+ I'm sending you all the feeding bill Lol!! Yesterday he ate 3 balls of Pacman Food and then proceeded to devour 20+ Night Crawlers. That is the most he has ever eaten in one sitting thus far. I'm sure if there were a 14" GABF it would be some kind of record.

He even got out of his burrow and went over to his feeder dish and waited patiently for me to feed him.
    Name:  0626131603.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  71.6 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post

He even got out of his burrow and went over to his feeder dish and waited patiently for me to feed him.
    Name:  0626131603.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  71.6 KB
    lmao that is just hilarious, he so funny, love facial expression, he is like oh i'm poor guy nobody feeds me. Grif is it a daily routine?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    lmao that is just hilarious, he so funny, love facial expression, he is like oh i'm poor guy nobody feeds me. Grif is it a daily routine?
    Normally it is. He skips a day between feedings now so every other day. It surprises me that he is that smart to know what the dish is for like a dog would. I never expected that Lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information