Thread: Impaction. UGH!

dpcsquid

Unhappy Impaction. UGH!

I'm so sorry that most of these have been addressed before. I'll try to keep my questions to things I haven't seen on the forum yet.

I've had a baby pac (he's about 1.5 inches SV) for about a month now. He is a voracious eater, but a few days ago I saw a huge lump forming on right right side, a wonderful size impaction. I've been giving him warm baths (treated water of course) every day, and the other day I did it with honey. The impaction has moved from the middle to down closer to his vent, but it's very firm.

I haven't fed him for about 2 days, hoping that the impaction would pass, that and I didn't want to clog him with anything else. He eats small crickets; I haven't been able to get him to eat worms yet.

How long should I go before taking him to the vet? In addition, how long should I go without feeding him? Or should I feed him? I don't want to....compact the problem. I have some pacman food lying around. Should I make that into a slurry and force feed him and hope that lubricates him, or is that going too far?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Impaction. UGH!

What was your water to honey ratio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Impaction. UGH!

Bathe the frog daily in a luke warm honey bath. Add 3 to 4 drops of honey. Soak for 20 minutes or until the water cools. After the water has cooled have a second luke warm bath ready ofnjust dechlorinated water and soak again for 20 minutes or until this bath cools. After this second bath return the frog home and place it in it's water dish.

Nationality
    [United States]

Follow Colleen/Jerrod advice on honey dips. Are you sure frog has not buried it's poop? Mine does that and also will go a week or so without defecating... then drops a nasty one on the bath dish.

Continue offering food and can add cut night crawlers (at Walmart sports area). If you cut them from pointy end they will heal up. Offer pieces around mouth size to start with.

Do not feed beetle worms (mealworms, etc.) because of chitin exoskeleton. Do not force feed; that is a last recourse for a malnourished non-feeding frog. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Bathe the frog daily in a luke warm honey bath. Add 3 to 4 drops of honey. Soak for 20 minutes or until the water cools. After the water has cooled have a second luke warm bath ready ofnjust dechlorinated water and soak again for 20 minutes or until this bath cools. After this second bath return the frog home and place it in it's water dish.
    That's interesting....Can you tell me what the honey does?..You state "Add 3 to 4 drops of honey."......Into how much water?....... Are there foods that are prone to create impaction? I'd like to know......."just in case.".....But hope I never have to use it.

Thanks
    Lloyd

dpcsquid

Thank you for everyone's advice so far! I usually do about 3-4 drops of honey in the bath when I use it, perhaps a tad more. I thought that I read somewhere on the forum that you shouldn't be using that more than once a week, though?
    I should mention that he's still extremely active and that I'm just very paranoid, as one of my other frogs passed away a while ago from what seemed like either a tumor or major impaction that he had before I purchased him (I made a stupid mistake buying the guy, but he was so cute)

I've given him the fogger that's usually in the larger pac's tank to keep him extra moisturized for now. I'll feed him again tonight. I tried giving him a chunk of nightcrawler, but he didn't want anything to do with it and I didn't want to stress him out further.

dpcsquid

Lloyd,
    There are foods that can easily cause impaction, like mealworms, superworms, or anything with a lot of exoskeleton. Crickets don't have as much as those, but if the frog eats too many it can still happen. In my case, I think that this little guy might be TOO voracious of an eater, even though most pacs will stop eating when they're full. Maybe he hasn't gotten the memo.

You're supposed to avoid feeding mealworms and superworms is the general rule of thumb. On the opposite end, nightcrawlers can help get things...going? Heh...sometimes.

9. This member thanks dpcsquid for this post:

dpcsquid

Ah, Carlos, sorry, was going to reply to you too. I cleaned out his tank two days ago when I was getting worried and I didn't find anything. I know how they like to hide stuff. : / I tell my mom that Pacman Frog owners are probably the only pet owners that go "Poop-diving" and get excited when they find something.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by dpcsquid View Post
    Lloyd,
    There are foods that can easily cause impaction, like mealworms, superworms, or anything with a lot of exoskeleton. Crickets don't have as much as those, but if the frog eats too many it can still happen. In my case, I think that this little guy might be TOO voracious of an eater, even though most pacs will stop eating when they're full. Maybe he hasn't gotten the memo.

You're supposed to avoid feeding mealworms and superworms is the general rule of thumb. On the opposite end, nightcrawlers can help get things...going? Heh...sometimes.
    that is true, in general if a frog eats anything that it can't digest and pass easy you have an impaction. You give a baby a big roach, it might be able to eat it, but it will most likely have an impaction, too many roaches can cause impaction even in big ones, so you better make sure you feed proper sized food, avoid food with high chitin content, such as mealworms and superworms, include a lot nightcrawlers.

another risk factor is environmental- moss in the enclosure is the most common cause of the impaction.

follow Grif advice on soaks, keep us updated please.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

12. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Pacman Frog owners are probably the only pet owners that go "Poop-diving" and get excited when they find something.
    lmao, that is so true!!!!! sometimes finding poop is a highlight of a week lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by never quit View Post
    That's interesting....Can you tell me what the honey does?..You state "Add 3 to 4 drops of honey."......Into how much water?....... Are there foods that are prone to create impaction? I'd like to know......."just in case.".....But hope I never have to use it.

Thanks
    Lloyd
    The honey is not harmful, but there is no exact measurement of water to honey ratio. I guess if we need a honey to water ratio it would depend on how large the frog is and how bad the impaction is. You could say 1 drop per 4 oz. Water depth should never exceed a depth of up to the frog's chin. It acts like a natural laxative and also reduces swelling of the cloaca and bowels. Can be used also to assist with an intastinal prolapse due to sugar reducing the swelling of the intestines and in mild cases allowing the prolapse to return on its own without the need of your assistance or a Vet. Serious cases always need a Vet.

Everyone else has mentioned foods that can cause impaction and why. Rodents can also cause impaction if offered to often or if to large.

15. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I usually use a sandwich container with 4-6 drops of honey for mine. She had a serious health issue about a year ago now and gets impacted very easily, so I do a lot of 'preventative' honey soaks. You can also gently massage the frog's side while it's soaking if yours doesn't get too freaked out by that.

dpcsquid

That's what I've been doing, in one of the smallest critter keepers they have. And I give him little massages. I swear the guy is going to kill me in my sleep now.

He's still /very/ active and giving me the death glare, so I might just go ahead and feed him when I get back out tonight, after a small honey soak. I upped his humidity a bit in the tank and he's looking plumper and the lump doesn't look as significant. I hope it's just a dryness issue and that this will help with it.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's what I've been doing, in one of the smallest critter keepers they have. And I give him little massages. I swear the guy is going to kill me in my sleep now.

He's still /very/ active and giving me the death glare, so I might just go ahead and feed him when I get back out tonight, after a small honey soak. I upped his humidity a bit in the tank and he's looking plumper and the lump doesn't look as significant. I hope it's just a dryness issue and that this will help with it.
    Extra moisture will help.

dpcsquid

A sad update.
    I got home from dinner tonight and was cleaning out cricket tanks. When I went to feed the little guy he was dead.

I think I'm just going to stay happy with the two that I have. I'm just so hurt and frustrated right now.

Nationality
    [United States]

A sad update.
    I got home from dinner tonight and was cleaning out cricket tanks. When I went to feed the little guy he was dead.

I think I'm just going to stay happy with the two that I have. I'm just so hurt and frustrated right now.
    I'm sorry for your loss. You did what you could.

A sad update.

Awww, I was hoping for a happy ending. So sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose a pet that you tried so hard to rescue!

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow, I'm sorry for the little frog's death ! You did good trying to help it and was not expecting this ending.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

dpcsquid

Now I'm getting paranoid. He was stiff when I found him, but not shriveled up like most frogs are in this situation. Ugh, now I want to go looking just to make sure but stiffness pretty much means that they're gone, right?

Nationality
    [United States]

Now I'm getting paranoid. He was stiff when I found him, but not shriveled up like most frogs are in this situation. Ugh, now I want to go looking just to make sure but stiffness pretty much means that they're gone, right?
    Usually, yeah. If you want to be sure, you can mess with the eye; if it's closed gently try to open it, if it's open, see if it reacts to light, ect. (sounds bad, but if you believe the frog's dead...)
    The eye is probably the most sensitive and reactive organ, because it has to be protected even during hibernation. If there's no activity in the eye, I'd say he's probably gone.

If you're really not sure you may want to wait for someone else to chime in as well.

Thread Information