Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chomper

Wreckage

Default Chomper

Hey everyone im back again!!Chomper is now approximately 4 months old and fat!! If anyone would be so kind as to tell me if Chomper is a girl or boy it would be much appreciated!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Chomper

Looks like a male to me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you please provide a pic of frog from above? Looking at your frog's tympanum and dorsal line would say this one is a possible P. edulis.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Wreckage

http://emob644.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1371412441
    http://emob644.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1371412441
    here is some more pics,hope this helps I'm on my phone ATM posting this :>

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll go with P. edulis; but unsure about sex. What is the present snout to vent length (SVL)?

Nationality
    [France]

It's a Giant Carlos.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post
    It's a Giant Carlos.
    On what facts are you basing that? The pictures on thread show a barred upper lip, the tympanum is clearly little less than eye diameter and also is located more than 1/2 eye diameter distance to the eye. All those are P. edulis characteristics according to the last genus revision.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    On what facts are you basing that? The pictures on thread show a barred upper lip, the tympanum is clearly little less than eye diameter and also is located more than 1/2 eye diameter distance to the eye. All those are P. edulis characteristics according to the last genus revision.
    Carlos is right. This frog has all the features of a P. edulis.

Wreckage

Thanks for the info you guys though I thought I had done my research and gotten the Giant of the species. Nevertheless he will still be spoiled. I guess he's not going to get very big then?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckage View Post
    Thanks for the info you guys though I thought I had done my research and gotten the Giant of the species. Nevertheless he will still be spoiled. I guess he's not going to get very big then?
    It depends. Some Dwarfs can reach 7" if male.

Nationality
    [France]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    You are right, but my Giant female looked exactly like this when she was young, also with the tympanum comment you mention.

Look at some pictures of my Graboune when young :

Also, the global shape and colors of the frog make me really think a bout a Giant.

Maybe I am wrong, but honestly, this must be confirmed.

SCF

It's a P. adsperus. The picture of it from overhead shows it all, granted it has substrate covering it, but if you zoom in you can see the outer stripes.

Nationality
    [France]

agreed also.

SCF

Btw it hurts (awe :*( ) to disagree with Carlos/Grifs, both VERY knowledgeable. If we ALL agreed on everything though, this forum wouldn't progress much.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    Btw it hurts (awe :*( ) to disagree with Carlos/Grifs, both VERY knowledgeable. If we ALL agreed on everything though, this forum wouldn't progress much.
    Very true!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    The current problem and confusion with the Pyxicephalus genus is that in the past couple years a few species of frogs (and a variant or future species) have been offered in the trade. And all these frogs were dumped into 2 types: a Giant or a Dwarf. Among those sold or kept as Giants are larger specimens of P. adspersus , P. angusticeps (previously known as the Mozambique variant), and ABFs from Tanzania which could later become a species too. On the other hand, if the frogs remain small, they are all dumped into the Dwarf species, P.edulis; even if they are not and just happen to be genetic runts or malnourished stunted frogs.

So the reality is many hobbyists across the world have big frogs that are not P. adspersus; but because of their large size, pass as such. That then creates a chain of events, when others look at their published pics and compare other frogs to them, leading to more confusion and misidentification. The key I use to classify African bullfrogs came from a table in the latest genus revision earlier this year. If members decide to adopt it or not; that is their choice; but the scientific community has.

If interested in a good reading on the complexities of this very small genus should grab a copy and read Vosjoli's book on the subject: Amazon.com: Giant African Bullfrogs: Life History and Captive Husbandry eBook: Robert Mailloux, Philippe de Vosjoli: Kindle Store .

SCF

I've read it. I also remember someone else, I believe Daniel L. on this forum posting the revisions. I think us (as a whole on this particular forum) have acknowledged the revisions. I thought what we were debating here was cut and dry between P. Edulis and P. Adsperus. I'm not an expert or writing books about the species, but it clearly looks to be P. Adsperus. With that being said though, I will admit, the frog in question looks to be rather on the small side for a four month old.

Edit: I appreciate your post as well Carlos.

Nationality
    [United States]

Wreakage does this frog have blue coloring on the front and rear legs? If so it is a Pyxicephalus adspersus the Giant African Bullfrog if the frog does not then it is most likely a P. edulis the Dwarf African Bullfrog or one of the other species similar to the Edulis that we keep seeing passed off as a Giant.

Wreckage

OK so I took new photos withought the substrate all I over. Hope this clarifys things To awnser Grif the Greats question yes he does have a slight blue/gray butt and light blue on the front legs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckage View Post
    OK so I took new photos withought the substrate all I over. Hope this clarifys things To awnser Grif the Greats question yes he does have a slight blue/gray butt and light blue on the front legs.
    Then this frog is a Giant. There will also be blue in the joint of the knees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information