Thread: Birthday

Default Birthday

So my birthday is coming up (September 13th) and I am really hoping to get tomato frogs. I am thinking of actually housing this guy in a ten gallon tank with a fire belly toad. Is this a good idea? I want to have to different species. I know usually mixing frogs is not safe, but I saw aqualandpetsplus do this and they are just fine. They actually mixed their tomato with 8 different species of frogs How to keep your new butasp fish with pictures. Is it possible the tomato frog will try to eat the firebelly? I have never seen a tomato in person so I dont know the size difference perfectly. Also, i would like to know how easy it is to care for these guys? Is it similar to a pacman frog? What frogs are mixable with this species? I was thinking maybe doing a 1/4 water setup and putting in a green frog. (the water will have a very shallow are in the back for the tomato frog) Please help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

YourSoJelly

Default Re: Birthday

Its really not safe to house difference species together. Each species has different temperature, humidity, nutritional, and habitat differences. Pacman frogs should NEVER, under ANY circumstances be put in with another creature. They will eat them, and whatever else fits into their mouths. Also,they secrete different toxins that could get some, or all of your toads sick. Frogs and toads also shouldn't be together because they are two different species, who need different things and tank sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by YourSoJelly View Post
    Its really not safe to house difference species together. Each species has different temperature, humidity, nutritional, and habitat differences. Pacman frogs should NEVER, under ANY circumstances be put in with another creature. They will eat them, and whatever else fits into their mouths. Also,they secrete different toxins that could get some, or all of your toads sick. Frogs and toads also shouldn't be together because they are two different species, who need different things and tank sizes.
    I think you misunderstood. I meant is the care for the tomato frogs the same as pacman frogs.

Sidius

Happy early birthday cooco! As YourSoJelly stated housing 2 different species together should be avoided, not to say I haven't done it, but I no longer house different species together. I have 6 tomato frogs in a zilla 40g breeder tank, they are more of a 'land' frog but do enjoy a nice water bowl...mainly for going to the bathroom in, they also require a higher humidity and temp than a fire belly toad. My Tomato frog enclosure usually stays around 75-82F, and 80-100% humidity. Where as my firebelly toad tank stays around 65-75F and 60-80% humidity depending on night/day. Not to mention both frogs can produce toxins from their skin. One concern would be since the firebelly enjoys water more is the toxin building up in the water and when the tomato goes for a dip, it could have adverse effects on him/her. Tomato frogs produce a toxin that when it dries is almost like a glue, which could spell doom for your firebelly. I had some get on the side of my tank once, not sure as to the reason why but I had to scrape it off when I was cleaning with a razor blade. Tomato frogs are also aggressive feeders so do not keep any moss in the tank incase they miss their prey, you don't want them eating any moss. I keep only coco fiber as a substrate, where as in my firebelly tank I keep a little bit of live moss/moss in their as it is easier for them to climb around on and it doesn't stick to them like coco fiber would so it doesn't dirty up the water when they jump back in the aquatic area There would also be a concern with the tomato eating the firebelly eventually, as some of my tomato frogs are big enough that they can down a rat pup like nothing which I feed as a treat once every month or two. I don't consider myself an expert but I do keep both species of frog your interested in and would advise NOT keeping them together in the same tank. Also on a side note both tomato and firebelly toads are more of a "community" frog, meaning they do better when kept in pairs so eventually you will want at the least, 2 of each. Not so much with the tomato as I kept one for awhile but when I added a couple more tomato frogs, their colors brightened up....just something to keep in mind. I will say tomato frogs are very nice frogs, one of my favorites and I think you will enjoy keeping them.

Default Birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Sidius View Post
    Happy early birthday cooco! As YourSoJelly stated housing 2 different species together should be avoided, not to say I haven't done it, but I no longer house different species together. I have 6 tomato frogs in a zilla 40g breeder tank, they are more of a 'land' frog but do enjoy a nice water bowl...mainly for going to the bathroom in, they also require a higher humidity and temp than a fire belly toad. My Tomato frog enclosure usually stays around 75-82F, and 80-100% humidity. Where as my firebelly toad tank stays around 65-75F and 60-80% humidity depending on night/day. Not to mention both frogs can produce toxins from their skin. One concern would be since the firebelly enjoys water more is the toxin building up in the water and when the tomato goes for a dip, it could have adverse effects on him/her. Tomato frogs produce a toxin that when it dries is almost like a glue, which could spell doom for your firebelly. I had some get on the side of my tank once, not sure as to the reason why but I had to scrape it off when I was cleaning with a razor blade. Tomato frogs are also aggressive feeders so do not keep any moss in the tank incase they miss their prey, you don't want them eating any moss. I keep only coco fiber as a substrate, where as in my firebelly tank I keep a little bit of live moss/moss in their as it is easier for them to climb around on and it doesn't stick to them like coco fiber would so it doesn't dirty up the water when they jump back in the aquatic area There would also be a concern with the tomato eating the firebelly eventually, as some of my tomato frogs are big enough that they can down a rat pup like nothing which I feed as a treat once every month or two. I don't consider myself an expert but I do keep both species of frog your interested in and would advise NOT keeping them together in the same tank. Also on a side note both tomato and firebelly toads are more of a "community" frog, meaning they do better when kept in pairs so eventually you will want at the least, 2 of each. Not so much with the tomato as I kept one for awhile but when I added a couple more tomato frogs, their colors brightened up....just something to keep in mind. I will say tomato frogs are very nice frogs, one of my favorites and I think you will enjoy keeping them.
    If i were to keep one (I have a tight budget) will it cause stress to the tomato frog?

Sidius

I don't think so, I think it should be fine. I kept only one tomato frog for awhile..almost 2years I think, and it did great. When I added more though it's colors brightened up a little bit.

Default Birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Sidius View Post
    I don't think so, I think it should be fine. I kept only one tomato frog for awhile..almost 2years I think, and it did great. When I added more though it's colors brightened up a little bit.
    So what do you THINK I can mix with a tomato. I will do research on your answer. I also will do y own research. But I saw aqualand pets plus mix 8 different species of frogs including fire bellies with their tomato frogs.

ejh805

No offense, but Aqualand Pets doesn't know what the h*ll they're doing. Keep in mind that most pet stores don't. They house them this way because it is more cost effective. Not because it is safe for the animals. And I'm willing to bet that with 8 species of frogs in one tank, many are doing poorly/getting eaten.

NEVER take advise from pet stores (on animal care or supplies). They are in it for the money, not the health/safety of their stock.

If you try to house tomato frogs with any other species, it will eventually end in disaster. No "ifs", "ands" or "buts". It's a very bad idea.

If you want multiple species, set up different tanks.

Sidius

Emily is right, most pet stores only house multiple species together because it is cost effective and they don't have them that long since most are sold off within a reasonable amount of time. My local pet store houses their tomatos with painted frogs, cuban tree frogs and some type of small lizards. I visit the store 1 -2 times a week for frog food, and from what I have seen the lizards always end up dying within a week, they lose about half of the cubans they put in there as well. Just last week they called me with a painted frog they got in which they had already moved to the tank they had...it had died before I got there which was a couple days later. I've tried to explain this to them, but they tell me what I just told you. Whenever I pre-order any frogs from them I ask that they be kept by themselves in a small cricket carrier until I can pick them up. My advise would be the same though.... house the tomato by itself, don't risk it. In the end your frogs will be much happier

Thread Information