Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruziohyla calcarifer

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

Default Cruziohyla calcarifer

Hi,

I just took some pictures of a couple of Cruziohyla calcarifer i got a few days ago, i will be moving them into a bigger tank later to breed them.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cruziohyla calcarifer

Gorgeous tree frog! Should take a nice pic of one and enter in the monthly photo contest. Good luck with your breeding project !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Georgeous frog. Great choice. I was looking into getting some from understory enterprises, until I saw the price tag.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Cruziohyla calcarifer

Beautiful!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

Quote Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
    Georgeous frog. Great choice. I was looking into getting some from understory enterprises, until I saw the price tag.
    Thanks! for how much UE sell them?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

glad I saved the email for reference, it was dated june 7th 2012. I'd like to buy from them but Im on a tight budget.

Hi Scott,
    Here are the current prices:
    Cruziohyla calcarifer - $385 - limited numbers ready for June
    Agalychnis spurrelli – gliding tree frog - $175 each – just arrived from Ecuador

We are going to be bringing frogs into the US ourselves and then
    once they are safely in the US, they will be shipped directly to
    customers by UPS Next Day Air.
    There will be a $15 box/import fee per order (to help cover, the cost
    of heat packs, gel packs & shipping boxes and related import fees)
    plus whatever UPS charges for the shipping. The UPS charge to 18103
    will be $42 or $55 depending on the size of the box we need to use.

Our next shipment will be in June but I have already applied for the
    CITES for that so we can not add any more CITES frogs for that
    shipment.
    This means that I can not bring in the A. spurrelli in June but it is
    still possible to bring in the calcarifer if we can finalize all
    details by the 11th.
    We will be bringing in another shipment in early September.
    A 25% non-refundable deposit now will hold the frogs for you until
    that shipment.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

Quote Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
    Hi Scott,
    Here are the current prices:
    Cruziohyla calcarifer - $385
    Wow that's crazy! now i feel extremely lucky i got my frogs for free, but well UE began this breeding project with frogs from the Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center and now every 50% of the sales go to the reserve which is a great way to help with conservation. This frogs are very rare species here in my country in the wild they are almost impossible to see, also they are not easy to breed as they will only lay their eggs on vines or roots overhanging a deposit of water on trees, but there's a reserve here called " Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center" they introduced some plastic tubes into the forest to simulate this deposites around 2003 i believe, now this is one of the few places where you can see this frogs almost every year. I am planning to use this same method to breed them.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Best of luck to you. Its because of that 50% that I wouldnt mind paying them extra but thats just to far out of my league at this time with out hitting the lottery (time = over my wifes lifespan). lol

Quote Originally Posted by Leon1993 View Post
    Wow that's crazy! now i feel extremely lucky i got my frogs for free, but well UE began this breeding project with frogs from the Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center and now every 50% of the sales go to the reserve which is a great way to help with conservation. This frogs are very rare species here in my country in the wild they are almost impossible to see, also they are not easy to breed as they will only lay their eggs on vines or roots overhanging a deposit of water on trees, but there's a reserve here called " Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center" they introduced some plastic tubes into the forest to simulate this deposites around 2003 i believe, now this is one of the few places where you can see this frogs almost every year. I am planning to use this same method to breed them.

Nationality
    [United States]

They are gorgeous. They are on my dream frog list. I wish u the best of luck with breeding. Keep us posted on your progress.

.:* Lisa *:.
    laissez le bon temps roulet! :-)

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

Nationality
    [United States]

... This frogs are very rare species here in my country in the wild they are almost impossible to see, also they are not easy to breed as they will only lay their eggs on vines or roots overhanging a deposit of water on trees, but there's a reserve here called " Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center" they introduced some plastic tubes into the forest to simulate this deposites around 2003 i believe, now this is one of the few places where you can see this frogs almost every year. I am planning to use this same method to breed them.
    Hi Leon! I'm glad the Costa Rica Amphibian Research Center is doing good work helping out the frog's populations. Found their website and will read all info later today. Please do share with us pics of your breeding set-up with those plastic tubes you mentioned. Very few of us can obtain and keep those frogs, so we love to see them, even if only in photos. Take care and good luck with your projects .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Please do share with us pics of your breeding set-up with those plastic tubes you mentioned.
    Sure i will share some pictures soon!

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

I finally moved them into their breeding set up, you can see a video here: Cruziohyla calcarifer. - YouTube

Have you cycled them in any way for breeding, before you put them in the breeding setup?

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

What do you mean with cycled them?

Getting them in breeding mood and prepare them for breeding. e.g. playing with temperature and humidity (dry vs. humid period), feeding heavily, that the femals build up eggs and ovulate.

The frogs look a bid skinny to me. I wouldn't put such skinny frogs in a rainchamber.

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

I never did anything of that before when breeding my other frogs (Agalychnis annae & Agalychnis callidryas) because they get all this conditions in a natural way, all my thanks are kept on my backyard as i live far away from the city the rain doesn't harm the frogs skin with acids. I always try to keep my frogs very fat even when they are not in the rainy season, i've been feeding this two a lot with big gut loaded grasshoppers and i don't stop feeding them when they are in their breeding tank but they are not that fat yet though they are not as skinny as you mentioned, they will get to that point soon is just about patience, the male has been calling a lot but the rainy season is not that strong yet so i will just wait for the rains to get heavier and the frogs to get ready.

Nationality
    [United States]

I never did anything of that before when breeding my other frogs (Agalychnis annae & Agalychnis callidryas) because they get all this conditions in a natural way, all my thanks are kept on my backyard as i live far away from the city the rain doesn't harm the frogs skin with acids. I always try to keep my frogs very fat even when they are not in the rainy season, i've been feeding this two a lot with big gut loaded grasshoppers and i don't stop feeding them when they are in their breeding tank but they are not that fat yet though they are not as skinny as you mentioned, they will get to that point soon is just about patience, the male has been calling a lot but the rainy season is not that strong yet so i will just wait for the rains to get heavier and the frogs to get ready.
    Your frogs look great. If you have bred Agalychnis annae, I am sure you will have no problem breeding these. If you have any questions breeding them outside, you might consult Brian at the CRARC. He has worked with this species.

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

Thanks! the problem i have right now is that i'ts not raining here at all, which is something that worries me cause we are in the rainy season. So i think i will just move the frogs to a smaller tank were they can be feed easily and i will adapt the big tank with a rain chamber to move them in two weeks or so.

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

The frogs are starting to get fat, i will move them into the big tank in a couple of weeks as the rain chamber is now ready.

Female and male:

Name:  Imagen 079.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  51.6 KBName:  Imagen 080.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  51.5 KB

Nationality
    [Costa Rica]

Yesterday was their first night at the rain chamber and found the couple in amplexus this morning. I hope to get eggs tomorrow morning but i don't know if the female has already laid eggs before, so it can take at least 5 attempts more before the female gets ready, we'll see what happen tomorrow!
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  74.3 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  56.7 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  52.9 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  44.7 KB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information